Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hollywood careers that just ended abruptly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

He wasn't in Snatch. Is it Brad Pitt you're thinking of? One Punch Mickey, the bare knuckle fighter.

Woops, meant Intermission, cheers! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Julia Stiles. She seemed to be in a lot of movies in the early 2000s and then the last thing I remember her in was a bit part in a couple of the Bourne movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Sondra Locke, she used to star in a lot of Clint Eastwood films until they broke up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

pinksoir wrote: »
    Julia Stiles. She seemed to be in a lot of movies in the early 2000s and then the last thing I remember her in was a bit part in a couple of the Bourne movies.
    Julia moved to TV, creating and starring in her own series Blue, and more recently in three series of the Neil Jordan project Riviera. Her IMDB profile has one blank year (2011), that's it.

One actor who genuinely chose to leave was Michael Schoeffling, someone who seemed to be headed for stardom after movies such as Sixteen Candles and Mermaids. In the early 90s he retired from show business entirely and started making furniture, full-time, with his family.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Jodie Foster, could do no wrong throughout the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, Oscar wins, then virtually nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

I had encountered this in the “chaos” book by Tom o neill. Good read. Melcher comes across as a self entitled bollix.

He did Fcuk all in his life except being the son of Doris day but by god would he make sure you knew he was her son

That's a great book. Pleased to meet someone else who's read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I had encountered this in the “chaos” book by Tom o neill. Good read. Melcher comes across as a self entitled bollix.

He did Fcuk all in his life except being the son of Doris day but by god would he make sure you knew he was her son

He has some massive production credits to be fair!, another theory was dennis wilson got melchers ear and arranged a demo with manson, and melcher simply didn't like it and upset manson!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

C Thomas Howell, had a good run in the 80s ,now Asylum rubbish like War of the Worlds 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

Sondra Locke, she used to star in a lot of Clint Eastwood films until they broke up.

She won't be appearing in too much more I somehow think....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Sondra Locke's career was allegedly derailed due to her acrimonious split with Clint Eastwood - the details of which are fairly well known, some really nasty allegations about how she was treated while with the man with no name. She directed a couple of things in the 80's ("Ratboy" being one of them- terrible movie).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wedwood wrote: »
    Jodie Foster, could do no wrong throughout the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, Oscar wins, then virtually nothing.

She stepped back from acting in the 2010s to focus on directing, in which she has been busy enough: directed for Orange in the New Black, House of Cards, Black Mirror to name a couple. She directed Money Monster in '16, an OK siege thriller film..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    That's a great book. Pleased to meet someone else who's read it!

It's a great book, quite a counterweight to Vince Bugliosi's Helter Skelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This thread title would be better if it was “ Hollywood careers that didn’t live up the early promise” because it’s what I and others have done when naming actors where’s it pointed out their careers didn’t end abruptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

pixelburp wrote: »
    She stepped back from acting in the 2010s to focus on directing, in which she has been busy enough: directed for Orange in the New Black, House of Cards, Black Mirror to name a couple. She directed Money Monster in '16, an OK siege thriller film..

Literally watched a new movie with her in it last night.

And today she got nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress.

She doesn't belong in this thread at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I believe Clive Owen was linked to James Bond also

He would have fitted that well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Alicia Silverstone.

Batman & Robin was toxic and she was collateral damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    This thread title would be better if it was “ Hollywood careers that didn’t live up the early promise” because it’s what I and others have done when naming actors where’s it pointed out their careers didn’t end abruptly.

This thread has a few sub threads within , another is actors who’s career wasn’t as successful as their most successful character:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

CastorTroy wrote: »

Shows the double standard of cancel culture. Marilyn Manson cancelled over allegations. Cardi B has admitted to hooking up with men, on the premise of sleeping with them, and drugging and robbing them, before she was famous. Yet no cancellation there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47718477

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Uh.

Well this thread took a sharp left turn into the Current Affairs forum. :rolleyes:

Hey, what's Colin Farrell up to these days? His career kinda disappeared :pac: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Geena Davis....
    The Fly, Beetlejuice, Thelma and Louise, A League of their own....academy award thrown in amongst those...then nothing.
    Never found her attractive but I remember the media fawning all over her. Then I saw her on some TV show biography thing, and saw what they were seeing. Never heard of her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Shows the double standard of cancel culture. Marilyn Manson cancelled over allegations. Cardi B has admitted to hooking up with men, on the premise of sleeping with them, and drugging and robbing them, before she was famous. Yet no cancellation there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47718477

FFS! Save it for your Facebook!

Back on topic, surely Cuba Gooding Jr fits in here? Sure, he hasn't stopped working. But he went from being one of the hottest names in Hollywood and an Oscar winner to starring in rubbish direct-to-video stuff like Snow Dogs and who knows what?

Apparently he says it was all his own fault. That when he was at his highest high he was way too picky with the roles he chose and he ended up alienating pretty much anyone in Hollywood who was hiring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Josh Hartnett kind of disappeared

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Mike Myers and Dana Carvey have reappeared

It was funny enough until Cardi B appeared.

I wonder did she tell them about her Wap.

I guess they had have someone that appeals to the youth of today, though I don't see or hear it.
    It's like they sold out. :)
    What rock stars could they have had on, I wonder that younger ones would know?
    Looking it up, she was 1 when Wayne's World 2 was released.

Just found out about these 2 documentaries that could be interesting. Anyone here see them?
    Life After Flash (2017)
    Life After the Navigator (2020)

And another one upcoming
    Life After Atreyu

• Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Surprised Jami Gertz's career in movies didnt kick on after Twister.
    She seemed to be managing the transition from teen roles in 16 Candles, Lost Boys etc into older roles.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Calculator123

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Surprised Jami Gertz's career in movies didnt kick on after Twister.
    She seemed to be managing the transition from teen roles in 16 Candles, Lost Boys etc into older roles.

She married a multi-billionaire, had children and founded some philanthropic organisations. Not a bad transition ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

She married a multi-billionaire, had children and founded some philanthropic organisations. Not a bad transition ðŸ˜႒

None of that counts in this thread... I dont care how many basketball teams she part owns.

We want box office hits!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xper

pixelburp wrote: »
    Uh.

Well this thread took a sharp left turn into the Current Affairs forum. :rolleyes:

Hey, what's Colin Farrell up to these days? His career kinda disappeared :pac: :D
    He's making regular guest appearances in a thread on boards.ie these days.

Advertisement