Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood careers that just ended abruptly

1141517192026

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six


    I'm curious to see where or if Johnny Depp will pop up next. He really managed to torpedo his career spectacularly. He made hundreds of millions from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies which he ploughed into things like 'investment' wine, which he then went and drank! His wildly out of control spending could only be sustained by getting big roles in blockbusters and it looks like those days are over after the domestic abuse allegations against him were the subject of his recent failed libel case. He's not the most reliable at the best of times requiring an ear piece for a helper to feed him lines on set, but now his insurance costs will be sky high as well.


  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler


    Ray Winstone seemed to just drop off the face of the earth recently except for being the face of an online betting company.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher


    R Lee Ermey. Great actor. He carried Full Metal Jacket single-handed. The second half of the film without him was Dullsville, Arizona.
    I just found out he died in 2018 :(
    What is my major malfunction?

    He had regular work playing variations of the same character in movies and tv series.
    He played Hugh Laurie's tough as nails Dad in House.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer


    Ray Winstone seemed to just drop off the face of the earth recently except for being the face of an online betting company.

    He's done that a lot throughout his career, in everything for a period then nothing


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams


    He's done that a lot throughout his career, in everything for a period then nothing
    Over 40 years on the go , new one coming soon


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy


    He's done that a lot throughout his career, in everything for a period then nothing

    He is still the daddy ..


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,029 ✭✭✭✭neris


    Colin Farrell. Not quiet career ended but dropped out of the spotlight big time


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache


    He was in the recently released Ava, and has a couple of high profile movies coming up. He's may have dropped out of the media/celeb spotlight, but he's still working away.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    neris wrote: »
    Colin Farrell. Not quiet career ended but dropped out of the spotlight big time

    Why do people keep saying Colin Farrell? He was in the gentlemen last year which was good.

    And he’ll be in the next Batman too...how has he dropped out of the spotlight? I don’t get it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six


    Why do people keep saying Colin Farrell? He was in the gentlemen last year which was good.

    And he’ll be in the next Batman too...how has he dropped out of the spotlight? I don’t get it?

    I'm thinking the last twelve months of almost no cinema releases, no movie production, and no visits to the cinema have scrubbed peoples' memories a bit!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper


    Colin Farrell is not washed up. I think it is more the case that he was being lined up as the next big thing He was everywhere with all the bad boy stories. He went a little far up his own a*se with it all and people tuned out.

    In the end he stepped out of the lime light and has been making a stream of good movies. Fair play to him.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt


    spacetweek wrote: »
    Olivia Newton-John - Grease, then she was in Xanadu which was a rollerskating movie with a ghost sidekick. It's even worse than it sounds - totally killed her career.
    Sure, but acting was kind-of secondary to her existing singing career as it was, and the Xanadu soundtrack was massively successful.

    I'm currently watching the video here, a conversation between Michelle Pfeiffer and George Clooney. At the 5 min mark or so they talk about spending years away from movies and how they handled going back. Michelle says that her first break wasn't really planned, and was partly caused by relocating away from Hollywood with her family. After the second break, her kids started pushing her to work more, because "they missed Craft Services". :P

    From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

    — Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut



  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad


    Nitrogan wrote: »
    Patrick Bergin

    Looked like he was making a name for himself with Sleeping with the Enemy and Patriot Games, then he disappeared.

    Has since done loads of cheapo made for tv movies and complete scutter like Strength And Honour. Supposed to be a right egotistical bellend.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad


    Julian Sands , cant remember when I last saw him in something.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects


    Why do people keep saying Colin Farrell?

    I think it's because he picks fewer rolls these days. Probably has a decent amount of money in the bank, and prefers to spend time with his family, rather than in the papers.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer


    Julian Sands , cant remember when I last saw him in something.

    Bruce Payne as well, took over from Sands in Warlock


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion


    Julian Sands , cant remember when I last saw him in something.

    Last saw him in the Netflix show "What/if" with Renee Zellweger last year......he wasn't great in it tbh, always had that B list feel to him IMHO


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin


    Charles Grodin, remember him?
    He was the Da in Beethoven and the conman in Midnight Run.

    Martin Short too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt


    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Doris Day yet: she had a huge string of hits in the 1950s and '60s, tried TV for a few years with her own variety show. She quit showbusiness entirely in the early 1970s to focus on animal welfare, and did that until she passed away a couple of years ago at age 97. A contributing factor was how her late husband, who died in 1968, had squandered all her movie earnings and she had to fight long court battles to get some of it back.

    From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

    — Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut



  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde


    bnt wrote: »
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Doris Day yet: she had a huge string of hits in the 1950s and '60s, tried TV for a few years with her own variety show. She quit showbusiness entirely in the early 1970s to focus on animal welfare, and did that until she passed away a couple of years ago at age 97. A contributing factor was how her late husband, who died in 1968, had squandered all her movie earnings and she had to fight long court battles to get some of it back.

    She had her own record label also I believe. Her son Terry Melcher was a music producer and had some involvement with Charles Manson. He rented the house Sharon Tate was killed in, and there was speculation at the time he was the original target of the murders. Apparently he was going to give Manson some studio time but Doris vetoed it.


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend


    ziedth wrote: »
    I'm not sure has he been mentioned and I did make the point on Boards Previously but while he had a respectable career relatively and remained a working actor Michael Behin always fascinated me. Just went off the radar despite he;

    Starred in two of the biggest films ever made

    Had an absolute starring Role in a couple of other massive films up to a career best Tombstone in 93

    Could act better than the other action stars of the time

    Great to see him show up in The Mandalorian recently


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,276 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark


    OscarMIlde wrote: »
    She had her own record label also I believe. Her son Terry Melcher was a music producer and had some involvement with Charles Manson. He rented the house Sharon Tate was killed in, and there was speculation at the time he was the original target of the murders. Apparently he was going to give Manson some studio time but Doris vetoed it.

    I had encountered this in the “chaos” book by Tom o neill. Good read. Melcher comes across as a self entitled bollix.

    He did Fcuk all in his life except being the son of Doris day but by god would he make sure you knew he was her son


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,276 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark


    dubstepper wrote: »
    Colin Farrell is not washed up. I think it is more the case that he was being lined up as the next big thing He was everywhere with all the bad boy stories. He went a little far up his own a*se with it all and people tuned out.

    In the end he stepped out of the lime light and has been making a stream of good movies. Fair play to him.

    He is kinda washed up though. What has he been in lately?


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp


    He is kinda washed up though. What has he been in lately?

    Right this minute he's filming for the anticipated Batman reboot, playing the Penguin, so washed up actors don't tend to headline big Hollywood productions.

    Otherwise, to name a few from the last 5 years: The Killing of Sacred Deer; The Lobster; Widows; The Gentlemen; Artemis Fowl; Fantastic Beasts; Dumbo. A decent haul and mix of Hollywood or indie.

    It's like IMDB never existed ;)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio


    He is kinda washed up though. What has he been in lately?

    The Gentlemen is one of the best films of 2020. He was brilliant in that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,276 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark


    pixelburp wrote: »
    Right this minute he's filming for the anticipated Batman reboot, playing the Penguin, so washed up actors don't tend to headline big Hollywood productions.

    Otherwise, to name a few from the last 5 years: The Killing of Sacred Deer; The Lobster; Widows; The Gentlemen; Artemis Fowl; Fantastic Beasts; Dumbo. A decent haul and mix of Hollywood or indie.

    It's like IMDB never existed ;)

    Farrell Playing the penguin ....ffs...that made me laugh


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp


    Farrell Playing the penguin ....ffs...that made me laugh

    *shrug* washed up actors don't get to be busy working at the top table; as to Penguin, if you watch the trailer they seem to be going for a Dark Knight, "realism" angle than goofy bird iconography. A mob boss than costume villain.

    Not in his fan club like but Farrells got a healthy CV. Maybe never hit the Brad Pitt level of super stardom, but who honestly wants that? It would have taken 30 seconds to Google his current résumé ;)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi


    Farrell Playing the penguin ....ffs...that made me laugh

    I remember Heath Ledger getting all sorts of stick when he was announced as Nolan's Joker.

    I quite like Farrell, he's really entertaining and engaging is most of his films, from Tigerland, to Snatch, to In Bruges, and stole the show in The Gentlemen.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt


    Has since done loads of cheapo made for tv movies and complete scutter like Strength And Honour. Supposed to be a right egotistical bellend.

    As the brother of Dick Byrne, they didn’t lick it off a stone!


    (It’s a joke, I’m sure Emmet Bergin is a fine man).


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin


    Morathi wrote: »
    I remember Heath Ledger getting all sorts of stick when he was announced as Nolan's Joker.

    I quite like Farrell, he's really entertaining and engaging is most of his films, from Tigerland, to Snatch, to In Bruges, and stole the show in The Gentlemen.
    He wasn't in Snatch. Is it Brad Pitt you're thinking of? One Punch Mickey, the bare knuckle fighter.


Advertisement