Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The White Tiger - Netflix

• 22-01-2021 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭

Excellent trailer and released today. Getting some real Parasite vibes from the lead actor's arc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Haraldkare

Anyone watch this? Thought it had some very anti-white vibes and a very 'threatening' ending scene. Doubt it would have been acceptable if roles were reversed. But that is Netflix these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Watched it just now , felt it was overly long , but enjoyable none the less
    Has to be said though out of the whole cast the only decent one of them all is the girlfriend and even she knocks down a kid
    , really casts a dim light on india for one thing

Definitely worth a watch though

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Haraldkare wrote: »
    Anyone watch this? Thought it had some very anti-white vibes and a very 'threatening' ending scene.
    I see you you could read it that way if you were into reading things that way.

I thought it was understandable, given the effect 200 years of colonization and economic rape had on India.

Having been to India I can see where this movie is coming from.

Very little or nothing to do with whites or indeed colonisation and all to do with the Indian family, the poor, the "master", the servant class experience which still very much exists today and the hierarchy within same which I thought that it was a fair commentary on.

worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

I had read the book many years ago - and the movie did a good job, but my overall opinion of both the book and the movie is - meh.

Nothing anti-white or anything like that there. Average Indian doesn't think of white/black/yellow etc, purely because they don't see any non-Indian folks at all at all. Indians in general don't even know about the race tensions of the West etc.

There are dozens of better Indian movies one could watch than this one, imho.

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »
    I had read the book many years ago - and the movie did a good job, but my overall opinion of both the book and the movie is - meh.

Nothing anti-white or anything like that there. Average Indian doesn't think of white/black/yellow etc, purely because they don't see any non-Indian folks at all at all. Indians in general don't even know about the race tensions of the West etc.

There are dozens of better Indian movies one could watch than this one, imho.

Actual films or the Bollywood musical shyte?

Depends on what you call "musical shyte". If you can give me some example, I can suggest based on that.

Depends on what you call "musical shyte". If you can give me some example, I can suggest based on that.

I'm not into any type of Bollywood musical stuff - find them to be rubbish so don't watch them.

Anything where someone breaks into song and suddenly the entire cast are dancing around like they just took a MDMA hit straight to the brain and the cheese factor ramps up from zero to pizza QUATTRO FORMAGGIO in 5 seconds

If you have any suggestions outside that genre please go ahead.

For example this movie was not of that genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

glasso wrote: »
    I'm not into any type of Bollywood musical stuff - find them to be rubbish so don't watch them.

Anything where someone breaks into song and suddenly the entire cast are dancing around like they just took a MDMA hit straight to the brain and the cheese factor ramps up from zero to pizza QUATTRO FORMAGGIO in 5 seconds

If you have any suggestions outside that genre please go ahead.

For example this movie was not of that genre.

I recommend a really understated romantic drama called The Lunchbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

I recommend Lion.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_(2016_film)

• Advertisement

Yes that's decent.

That's an Australian film tho.

Good recommendations.

If you fancy a thriller - try Kahaani.

https://www.netflix.com/title/70236020

If you fancy a bit more bollywood-y, yet a movie that really truly impacted and changed Indian minds (I personally know three guys, two in IT, who gave up IT to follow their hobbies after this movie came out) - try "3 Idiots". One of the highest grossing Indian movie of all time. Not sure if it's on netflix.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187043/

If you like 'Million Dollar Baby', try 'Mary Kom'. A true biopic, with a bit of dramatization thrown in.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80015785

Good recommendations.

If you fancy a thriller - try Kahaani.

https://www.netflix.com/title/70236020

If you fancy a bit more bollywood-y, yet a movie that really truly impacted and changed Indian minds (I personally know three guys, two in IT, who gave up IT to follow their hobbies after this movie came out) - try "3 Idiots". One of the highest grossing Indian movie of all time. Not sure if it's on netflix.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187043/

If you like 'Million Dollar Baby', try 'Mary Kom'. A true biopic, with a bit of dramatization thrown in.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80015785

thanks.

will take a look

This was excellent. A really good Indian cultural insight without the fluff and sing song nonsense.

There is plenty of anti white sentiment from the lead actor, its not inferred, he says it many times throughout the film. But this is just a good depiction of reality, and realism is why this film works so well. Every day there is anti white sentiment across all forms of media. Sure there's a wider debate on all of that but I feel like there was nothing forced in this at all it was an honest depiction of the the lead characters life and sentiments.

I can only agree to disagree. If you think this is "a really good Indian cultural insight", could it be because it matched your expectation of what Indian culture looks like?

It's like an American watching Snatch and saying now I have good cultural insight into English and Irish travelers.

White Tiger, the novel, was written for it's shock value, so is the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Dismissing Indian cinema on account of Bollywood would be like dismissing western cinema on account of Disney and Marvel. It can seem like that's all there is, but they're just the biggest and the noisiest.

Have a look at India's "paralel cinema" movement from the 70s to 90s. I think the movement has dropped off since, unfortunetly, but there are still independant films being made.

Some of the paralel cinema stuff is fantastic. Hard-hitting stories and very naturalistic performances. A world away from the sing-song of Bollywood.

https://mubi.com/lists/fav-indian-art-house-movies-parallel-cinema

https://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/opinion-entertainment/parallel-cinema-movies-6375603/

Much more light-hearted and mainstream but I also really enjoyed Badhaai Ho from 2019 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badhaai_Ho. It does have songs but IIRC the big song and dance numbers are confined to the closing credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Anurag Kashyap has a crime show on Netflix, Sacred Games, which I enjoyed but a film of his that I love is Gangs of Wasseypur.

It's an epic gangster movie heavily influenced by Scorsese and Leone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Anurag Kashyap has a crime show on Netflix, Sacred Games, which I enjoyed but a film of his that I love is Gangs of Wasseypur.

It's an epic gangster movie heavily influenced by Scorsese and Leone.

Great movie. It's up there with the best of the best, and 6 hours long. The rest of his work is worth viewing too, particularly Black Friday, Ugly & Raman Raghav. No Smoking is possibly the most confusing movie I've ever seen, it makes David Lynch's work seem straightforward, so if that's your kind of thing you should give that a try too.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Goodshape wrote: »
    Dismissing Indian cinema on account of Bollywood would be like dismissing western cinema on account of Disney and Marvel.

100% agreed. Indian way of story telling is slightly different, they stress (and strech) emotional situations with a song or two - but that is not to say all of those movies are musicals or just dance numbers.

If you are not looking for gritty / shocking type stories (Sacred Games / Gangs of Wass.. etc), try this one. Another true story, it shows many negatives of the Indian culture (of where that movie is set, it's a large country), but it also manages to inspire and entertain at the same time, IMHO.

Dangal
    https://www.netflix.com/title/80166185

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Great movie. It's up there with the best of the best, and 6 hours long. The rest of his work is worth viewing too, particularly Black Friday, Ugly & Raman Raghav. No Smoking is possibly the most confusing movie I've ever seen, it makes David Lynch's work seem straightforward, so if that's your kind of thing you should give that a try too.

His films come and go from Netflix but I bought dvds of Ugly and Raman Raghav and will be watching them soon.

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote: »
    Dismissing Indian cinema on account of Bollywood would be like dismissing western cinema on account of Disney and Marvel. It can seem like that's all there is, but they're just the biggest and the noisiest.

I said that I don't care for the movies with cheesy music videos in the middle of them - did not dismiss Indian cinema as a whole - incorrect reaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I said that I don't care for the movies with cheesy music videos in the middle of them - did not dismiss Indian cinema as a whole - incorrect reaching.

Sorry, didn't mean to accuse you of anything. Just wanted to highlight what else is available.

I can only agree to disagree. If you think this is "a really good Indian cultural insight", could it be because it matched your expectation of what Indian culture looks like?

It's like an American watching Snatch and saying now I have good cultural insight into English and Irish travelers.

White Tiger, the novel, was written for it's shock value, so is the movie.

In terms if how servants are, the caste system, the reality of being poor in a huge population. Of course drama was applied, such is the job of a filmmaker. Are you saying none of those things were accurate?

No, not at all. All the social evils you mentioned exists and then some.

White Tiger however isn't a documentary, and assuming that it's a window to the ground reality in India etc - is wrong, is all I am saying.

It's a decent go at the original novel (which in itself was sub-par imho).

Advertisement