Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar powered LED street lights.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Round about way related to the thread title, boards rules are tho whoever starts the thread gets a free pass.😄

Amish in the US have put in solar and battery storage.

https://youtu.be/Ex4d9LwmpvM

The longest I've set any of the ones is three hours.

That one though will still be lighting in the morning. But it's a high for movement low light for standby.

I've three other lights with an all night setting but I haven't used that function. Usually though if the all night setting is picked they'll go onto a low light output to save the battery. Any of the ones with the infra red movement switch should still light the next morning since they only switch on for roughly 20 seconds anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭green daries

Just pay her bill and write it off against tax for yourself .....did it for years no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭emaherx

I wonder how long a mid winter night is in the country those with an all night setting are developed. Starting to feel the effects of short days here now, Had to charge the battery in one of my solar pump setups today. So a 100W panel might be a bit small for a 10Amp pump, electric fence unit and a raspberry pi in the month of November.

I also had to charge the other one twice in September but it was setup in a spot that is in shade for a good portion of the day, but cattle have been off that land since the start of October, I'll be finding a better location for it next spring.

True, I essentially do as I pay her rent.

She was born in the 40's so there will always be too many damn lights on regardless.

• Advertisement

The best contender I have for a bright light for longest is this one.

I selected the 9 hours option there now and it never changed it's light output.

The avant if you select an all night it'll be bright at the start and keep decreasing in %'s (the three hour option bright for the three hours). The indoor ones I have have a constant low light all night or low light and high triggered by movement. But I haven't put them on all night cos the cows are in and they'd dirty their beds worse..so not sure how it works.

Now whether that's 9 hours from 6.30 now or probably 5.20 when it turned on.

So it'll be 2.20am or 3.30am when switches off.

That light above differs from my other ones in that the darkness sensor is on the light itself not the panel. So if you wanted a light for inside a shed to automatically come on. That's an important difference. That one comes on 20 minutes before the rest too. The others being the two different types from tullow, the avant, and indoor lights. All those it's just nearly dark before they all come on.

The floods on this each light is separate they don't come on together even though they're on the one panel. So you could have one inside switching on an hour perhaps? before it's comrade light outside on the one panel.

Edit: I just read the spiel again on that on amazon and it automatically goes onto an all night setting if you press ON. Am I going to try it? No. Not yet anyway. I'm hoping it stays for a long haul.

Post edited by Say my name on

It will be interesting to see how they would perform daily at the end of December, its one thing for batteries to achieve 9h+ runtime but another thing altogether as to whether the panels can charge them in the few short hours of daylight that we have mid winter. You've a nice selection now so you can give us all a comprehensive review in January ;)

We'll see. 😀🤣

Any recommendations for PIR LED solar security lights for around a shed? Just for a deterrence.

There's so many variations out there now. You can even get solar powered camera and light PIR combined.

I'd say that'd be along the lines you should be looking.

Look up clever agri at their two pir solar lights if you don't want a camera and pick which option of light suits best.

• Advertisement

Best light yet.

300watt Street light from gebosun.

Supposed to stay on all night. Comes up to my pocket on my trousers.

Knew I'd have to do anyway.

New brackets had to be made after storm Barra for this 👇 panel / light.

That light in the first pic. It had only two hours charge this evening after being put up today and it was going for five hours anyway.

Will know more in the coming days on it.

I'll get a pic of it in light and stats of light output tomorrow or next day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

How much was the top one there Say? Just put up a couple of 60 watt street lights along feed passages. They have sensors, but I've no idea how long they stay lit for. 175 each, good few on alibaba now too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Bought 2. $379 to the door.

You'd seriously want to get the highest wattage or lumens rated you can get.

They'd try and fool you with the kelvin of 6,500 and make you think it's lumens in their literature. This one is supposed to have 100lm/watt according to the sheet that was in the box. So that'd be 30,000 lumens. On the invoice from Amazon it's rated 9,000 lumens. So.??

That's it there now this evening.

Tbh the photo is enhancing it a bit. It was brighter last night when it came on first. Dull day and the only setting of being on dusk till dawn seem to have had their way on the battery. No energy saving movement sensor neither.

To continue it on. That pic above there's two solar floodlights on the right.

They're up a few months now. And set for five hours on. Not a bother up to now.

Tonight they came on but switched off at 5.30.

Rubbish weather and bad time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

How much?

That street light would have been €167 Kev.

Can you power them with a 12 volt battery say.

Not them ones no.

And that last street light I bought has just about shut itself off now. Supposed to go all night.

I've five different types up now outside. The best performing one this evening is the streetlight from clever agri tullow. I've no affiliation. But it's as bright as it's ever been. It's a dull light for five hours and bright whenever the PIR is activated.

Thanks it's a pity that you can't would be great job then 😉

• Advertisement

Tractor spots and/or marine bulkheads, 12V battery, solar panel/charge controller is the option you want.

Thanks emaherx ya be a good job too but I'm not really bothered about both have a couple of street lights here and have the Jenny If needed so pretty ok for ESB but it is still a shame that a battery couldn't be added to the lights 😃

I think the low light level with a sensor giving a boost is the way to go. One of mine was still on when I went to bed at 11.30, but that was charged all day the day before without being switched on that evening, came on at about 4.45. Cloudy day makes a big difference to lighting time.

The other one is at a feed passage with a lot more cattle to trigger the high power, so stops earlier. But TBF solar lights and panels have come a long way in 10 years, just need a TAMS grant now😃.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Now I've heard it all. A grant for lighting.

You farmers are always wanting non farmers to pay and you complain about not getting paid enough for food.

Cant get paid both ways.

I'll get my wellies...and pitch fork 🤣🤣

If only I could figure out how to get a grant for my 5 acres 😉

Feck sake @blue5000, you've left the door open, there's a breeze getting in!

Sorry I was born in a hospital with swing doors 😝 .

Advertisement