Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Golf Society 2021

• 18-01-2021 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hello Golfers.

Break 80 is my handle and I am the Captain of Boards Golf Society for 2021.

Firstly I would like to thank Spacecoyote and Committee for the nomination this year and acknowledge the hard work put in last year to keep the show on the road. It was a great year in spite of everything.

Membership will be €30.00 for the year.
    I will post details along with teamer invites the Friday week before the event.

Full payment by Revolut the following Wednesday.
    The timesheet will be posted on the Thursday.
    We can do the 2s club on the day.

We will have voucher prizes for 1st,2nd and third along with longest drive and nearest the pin.

As always New members are more than welcome. If you are tempted you won't regret it. We have some great characters who will make a great day out for everyone.

All you need do is drop SeveOB your details and he will set you up on Teamer.
    As usual we will have The GOTY and Ryder Jug comp running throughout the season. Details are in The Society Charter.
    As you can see from the list we have some hidden gems along with some marquee courses on the rota this year.
    I propose to charge €40.00 green fees on the hidden gems to ease the pain on the marquee fees down the line.

So without further ado we have.
    PORTMARNOCK HOTEL LINKS 11AM FEB. 20 TBD
    CASTLECOMER 12AM MAR. 20 TBD
    KILKEA CASTLE 11AM APR. 17
    TULAMORE COLF CLUB 12AM MAY 22
    TRAMORE GOLF CLUB TBD 12AM JUNE 19
    FOTA ISLAND (DEERPARK) 11AM JUL. 24
    WEST WATERFORD 12AM AUG.21 (TBC)
    ENISCRONE(CAPTAINS) 12.30AM SEPT18

Update May 25th

Kilkea Castle. June 19. 12.28.
    Fota Island July 24. 11.00.
    Castlecomer August 7. 12.55.
    West Waterford August 21. 12.00.
    Eniscrone September 18. 12.30. CAPTAIN'S PRIZE.

Fingers crossed for Portmarnock. if we have to cancel we might try to fit it in later in the season.
    That's it folks. Hope you like it.
    BREAK 80

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

That's a great list of courses. I grew up playing tramore, I think it's a lovely course. And I've played tullamore a dozen times at least. Again, just a great traditional parkland course.

Do you need to be hoping to make a certain number of events to join the society? I've a baby on the way in March, so I'm not sure how many I'll make after that. It could be practically none. And I wouldn't want to take up a space if they're at all limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

blue note wrote: »
    That's a great list of courses. I grew up playing tramore, I think it's a lovely course. And I've played tullamore a dozen times at least. Again, just a great traditional parkland course.

Do you need to be hoping to make a certain number of events to join the society? I've a baby on the way in March, so I'm not sure how many I'll make after that. It could be practically none. And I wouldn't want to take up a space if they're at all limited.

Best of luck with the new baby.
    More than welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Congratulations (or should I say commiserations :D) Captain.

Its a great list of courses, agreed Bluenote, a few that I had lined up from my year that got side-tracked so will be nice to get to them. Will also be nice to hopefully not have to sprint on to the first tee at the first outing of the year in Portmarnock!!!

Best of luck for the year, you'll have plenty of help from the committee to keep things running smoothly and hopefully we get to something resembling normality sooner rather than later into the year.

To reiterate what Break80 said, new members are always welcome, and you won't regret it. As my wife says when I head out, enjoy your day with the weirdos off the internet. I always do, haven't had a bad day out with the society. And don't have any fears if you're good, bad or terrible at golf, we have a broad spread of abilities and experience, but have one thing in common, we love golf, and a bit of craic.

@Bluenote, I wouldn't have any worries about taking a place from anyone, we generally try to get enough spaces to cover all-comers. As long as there is plenty of notice, its usually manageable. What I would say is that, people who pay up the €30 membership will get prioritisation of tee times, if the numbers are tight. So, if you've paid your €30, it doesn't matter whether you attend 1 or all outings.

Apologies for a slight sidetrack, but one slight hangover from last year was that the 2020 GOTY competition was never closed out due to lockdowns, so we were 1 event short.

I was thinking, if people are open to it, that event 1 of the year would be a double event. For those who paid up their sub last year, who want to enter the final GOTY event, they could enter their score in both.

By my last calculation, I think that there were, technically 18 golfers who could theoretically win the overall prize (it would take bizarre turn of circumstances for some to win, but stranger things have happened). I can list those out as they may be the only ones interested in throwing their names into the ring for this suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Brilliant list of courses guys, can't wait to get going again.. Fingers crossed. Best of luck this year Captain Break 80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Break80,

Best of Luck for the year ahead and congratulations on your Captaincy.

Hopefully with the vaccine rollout the lock-down restrictions will ease to permit the Golf activities to kick off as early as possible in 2021.

Nice list of courses...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭a post punk

Best of luck for the year break80, a great list of courses and great to see a fellow Corkonian take the post :)!!There is 4 on the list that I haven’t played and always look forward to the new ones personally. Having played Enniscrone for the first time last year we are in for a treat ( you haven’t seen sand Dunes like it before ) a real test when the wind is blowing!!
    Agree with you on doubling up the first event space.
    Here’s to 2021 being a better year
    PP

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Good luck break80, and looking forward to getting back out with the society this year. Some great courses, though all a long way from my new house in Waterville (so if everything). Will still do my best to make it to all courses though.

Good idea on the doubling up as well. Nice to get last years finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Kiith wrote: »
    Good luck break80, and looking forward to getting back out with the society this year. Some great courses, though all a long way from my new house in Waterville (so if everything). Will still do my best to make it to all courses though.

Speaking of last year, I still have a metal rod in the boot of the car that belongs to you if I remember correctly for a long drive marker :D

Kiith wrote: »

When this upset to everyone's lives settle's down.
    You can always make your way to Cork City and travel with me.
    Plenty of room for clubs but you will be on the road early and back late.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Snackbox20

Congratulations Captain and a great list of courses for the year ahead. Here's hoping we can all get back out playing golf safely and look forward to seeing the boardsies.
    There are two courses on the list that I never played and really looking forward to, Enniscrone and Fota
    Best of luck Break80 again to you and your team.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nice selection, majority down South and rightly so, can't have you doing mad travels given all the background tasks on the day.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Agree with the double up space.
    Best of luck break 80, let’s hope we can get most of the events in , looking forward to some of those tracks. 4 new ones for me.
    See yis out there soon guys

slave1 wrote: »
    Nice selection, majority down South and rightly so, can't have you doing mad travels given all the background tasks on the day.

Not true.
    According to google maps I will have 14.07 hrs 1 way.
    From say Athlone it is 13.39 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Good luck for the year Break80
    Most are a good bit away from Mayo but hopefully ill get to my first Boards outing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Great list of courses! Can't wait to get started :D

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Happy New Year to all, brill list of courses Capt and once that yoke has pissed off we should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Love Portmarnock Links as an opener and is tradition now in my eyes

Be interesting with us allowed use them for GUI this year

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭tigerwood1

Only got to play two of the outing last year and for the first time since I joined I missed the captains . It would be great to kick off the year in portmarnock but Just listening to Leo on Claire byrne he's saying level 5 until March the 5th, I reckon tullamore in May could be our first outing fingers crossed.

Hopefully break80 won't be breaking records for the shortish captaincy😎. Joking aside its a great selection of courses and I will be doing my best to support our new captain(even if he is from Cork). I haven't played tramore or enniscrone so that will be another two off my to play list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Should we be looking at possibly a back of Portmarnock to Mar 6th.....its tradition!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Should we be looking at possibly a back of Portmarnock to Mar 6th.....its tradition!

Oh come on! No, definitely not that date. Push it out to considerably later in the year. This is the course I can walk to from my house. Last year you scheduled it on the day of my wedding and now you're trying to schedule it for the day before my wife is due?!!! Push it out to September or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

blue note wrote: »
    Last year you scheduled it on the day of my wedding and now you're trying to schedule it for the day before my wife is due?!!!

Do you not consult the society event schedule before making major life decisions? :rolleyes:

gypsy79 wrote: »

Keep the faith brother.
    If Leo gets the schools opened The GUI might grow a pair.

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Do you not consult the society event schedule before making major life decisions? :rolleyes:

Agree 100%
    Weddings, Babies, Golf.
    Something wrong with that order.

tigerwood1 wrote: »
    Only got to play two of the outing last year and for the first time since I joined I missed the captains . It would be great to kick off the year in portmarnock but Just listening to Leo on Claire byrne he's saying level 5 until March the 5th, I reckon tullamore in May could be our first outing fingers crossed.

Hopefully break80 won't be breaking records for the shortish captaincy😎. Joking aside its a great selection of courses and I will be doing my best to support our new captain(even if he is from Cork). I haven't played tramore or enniscrone so that will be another two off my to play list.

I propose we increase our usual side bet.
    I am going to take your house and car this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭tigerwood1

Break80 wrote: »
    I propose we increase our usual side bet.
    I am going to take your house and car this year.

Your too late the bank has already taken them, the only thing I left to lose is the mrs😁

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

Looks like a great lineup.

First year the society last year and only got to play two rounds but very worth it.

Would love to play Portmarnock again and have a shot at redemption there.

Also very much looking forward to Kilkea Castle again. Probably one of my favorite courses.

Hi Golfers.
    Just a quick update on the state of afairs at the moment.
    Obviously we have lost Portmarnock for Feb. I also got an email from Tramore stating they have cancelled all societies for this year due to expected pressure on timesheets from members.
    The optimist in me is still expecting the go ahead early March.(Plenty of threads on here for anyone to burst my bubble on this one)
    We will have a rethink as soon as possible and keep you all updated.
    Looking forward to catching up with all the boardies.

Break 80

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tough times for everyone Break, shame as Tramore is fine track, well understated.
    I'll adjust the OP for those reading from the start, good look with your newly required juggling skills

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

I'm interested in signing up. Do I need to PM Break80 or someone else?

• Advertisement

coillcam wrote: »
    I'm interested in signing up. Do I need to PM Break80 or someone else?

Welcome Coillcam.
    PM your details to Seve0b.
    He will set you up on teamer and away we go.

Advertisement