Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can meat producers make vegan food?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Surely Louth, Kildare, Wexford can't be that different soil/climate wise?

Soil types differ over surprisingly small distances.
    Try buying a bit of prime veg land in NCD ( not that anyone with it ever sells it willingly) and you'll find it comes at a multiple of the "price per acre" of other counties you've mentioned.
    Sure Wexford has lots of veg growing areas, bit NCD is the creme de la creme..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I am guilty of wanting to know what vegans thought of vegan products made by meat factories

Does where its made make it vegan or what's in it?

For the purpose of this thread I identify as vegan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

I'm fine with it and welcome food producers making more plant based options. There is no moral issue with me and anything that makes it more accessible is a good thing. Some level 5 vegans might avoid it but I don't really find the logic in such a view.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

For my part, I grew up eating meat. I ate it a lot! I've always missed a few things since going vegan 6 years ago. Black pudding was one of them. Rudds have launched their sausages and black and white puddings. To me they are as good if not better than the meat version, sure the pudding needs a bit of care in cutting vs traditional animal variety, but man they know how to season it right!

I have a feeling that meat producers are trying to migrate to the plant based varieties for a number of reasons.

1. It is a growing market. They dont want to loose market share.
    2. Their current animal based products are a type 1 carcinogen.
    3. They see that the current models for animal protein production are unsustainable.

Maybe, just maybe, they are starting to see what that their current offering is ethically challenging. As more and more consumers are exposed to the horrors of meat production. I seriously doubt this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So the Rudd's stuff is decent then? Might pick some up in Dunnes later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

So the Rudd's stuff is decent then? Might pick some up in Dunnes later.

I prefer it to the Dennys variety for sure. If your missing pudding then they are IMO, streets ahead. The Clonakilty white pudding is just too dry.

You need a sharp knife and a gentle hand when cutting the Rudds puddings though as they are quite mushy in their raw form. Even cutting the casing off can cause it to deform. About 3 - 4 min each side on a medium heat, couple of their sausages, ketchup and YR sauce.... Droooooolll

All I need now is a decent fried egg to be made vegan and I am all set for my brekkie roll!

They also have them in some tescos, but I havent seen them in Supervalu as yet, although my local supervalu isnt the best for Vegan selection.

Yes the Clonakilty white was like they made it out of sawdust or something.
    Never a big fan of black pudding but I might try the Rudd's one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭Worztron

I would say yes.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Rudds is much better than clonakilty

Rudds is much better than clonakilty

Hey TA. Do Rudds have a vegan item/range?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They have sausages, black & white pudding. You can get them in Tesco or Dunnes.

They have sausages, black & white pudding. You can get them in Tesco or Dunnes.

They need to update their website (no mention of the vegan alternatives yet):

Should do, I see lots of ads for their vegan stuff, odd oversight! Pics on their instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I’ll go to dunnes after work to grab one:

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I’ll go to dunnes after work to grab one:

Bon appétit.

Which is nicer the black or the white?

Both great, I like black more myself

I got the Hellman’s chipotle Mayo to go with them.

Om nom nom!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I've said it before and I'll say it again consumers care more about brands than anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

The Rudd's sausages are really good. Picked them up in Dunnes. Nice spice and texture to them. Better than the Denny's.

• Advertisement

The dunnes ones are hilarious, they taste ok but they're basically some kind of skin with a full on paste inside, the texture of hummus maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It's nonsense to think producers care about a particular type of diet a person has.

They're in it for the market share and profit

If they thought their was a market for ice cube eating people, that would be their focus.

Vegans/vegetarians are just one small piece of a very large market segment.

It's nonsense to think producers care about a particular type of diet a person has.

If they thought their was a market for ice cube eating people, that would be their focus.

Thanks for that captain obvious.

Yeah.

What’s your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭White Clover

Yeah.

What’s your point?

What's with the aggression, again?

Aggression ?

Explain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Back on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Most likely lacking iron

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Wow. A yellow card for a harmless bit of banter.
    Seriously sensitive around here. The iron is of no use. It’s a funny bone you need.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Sacrolyte do not post in this thread again. If you want to discuss mod actions do not do it on thread as this derails the topic.

PM if you wish to discuss further

Advertisement