Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Opel Corsa-E 6 month trial

  • 11-01-2021 11:21am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    Was looking at the Corsa E earlier and noticed this offer on the website


    https://www.opel.ie/offers/open-road.html


    Basically if you buy a Corsa E and if you hate itn after 6 months they'll swap it for a petrol or diesel Corsa


    It sounds like a nice offer on paper until you get into the T&Cs:
    • No cash alternative is applicable: the full equity in your vehicle will be transferred towards the cost of registering a new Opel petrol or diesel at the same Dealership.

    So basically if you don't like the car after 6 months you can swap if for a car worth around €9000 less than it and not receive any equity?


    I'm not sure many people will go for that when they get into the details. It's nice that they're giving people the option to back out, but it would probably be better to have a car available to lease for a few weeks to a month and let people decide after that


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 21,403 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    Was looking at the Corsa E earlier and noticed this offer on the website


    https://www.opel.ie/offers/open-road.html


    Basically if you buy a Corsa E and if you hate itn after 6 months they'll swap it for a petrol or diesel Corsa


    It sounds like a nice offer on paper until you get into the T&Cs:
    • No cash alternative is applicable: the full equity in your vehicle will be transferred towards the cost of registering a new Opel petrol or diesel at the same Dealership.

    So basically if you don't like the car after 6 months you can swap if for a car worth around €9000 less than it and not receive any equity?


    I'm not sure many people will go for that when they get into the details. It's nice that they're giving people the option to back out, but it would probably be better to have a car available to lease for a few weeks to a month and let people decide after that

    Yeah that looks right, you'd be surprised at the amount of People that don't fully read contracts.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    Mad_Lad wrote: »
    Yeah that looks right, you'd be surprised at the amount of People that don't fully read contracts.


    The most commonly told lie:


    "I have read and understand the term of this agreement"


    :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 72,649 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm


    Not quite

    8. Within 6 months, if you are not fully satisfied emissions-free e-mobility is for you, your chosen Opel Dealer will replace your Corsa-e with an equivalent value petrol or diesel model.
    9. Mileage must be below 10,000km on returning the Corsa-e and only normal wear and tear will be accepted.
    10. No cash alternative is applicable: the full equity in your vehicle will be transferred towards the cost of registering a new Opel petrol or diesel at the same Dealership.

    Where they probably can catch you is in what they say the car is worth after 6 months.

    It looks like you could use the money to buy a Grandland or Insignia or whatever instead. Probably against list price.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not quite



    Where they probably can catch you is in what they say the car is worth after 6 months.

    It looks like you could use the money to buy a Grandland or Insignia or whatever instead. Probably against list price.


    Ah okay, I think I read "equivalent value" as equivalent spec Corsa, oops :o


  • Registered Users Posts: 72,649 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm


    Toyota did a similar offer with hybrids a few years ago.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 6,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭ liamog


    Didn't Nissan do it too? I seem to remember something along those lines.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭ graememk


    So what is the price of an e-corsa?

    And the value at trade in, how much would you want off if you were to buy a second hand, 6 month old one with 10k km?

    5K?


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,403 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    liamog wrote: »
    Didn't Nissan do it too? I seem to remember something along those lines.

    Yes they did.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,403 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    One would want to be really daft though to buy an EV without doing their research first or at least some test drives on familiar routes.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    graememk wrote: »
    So what is the price of an e-corsa?

    And the value at trade in, how much would you want off if you were to buy a second hand, 6 month old one with 10k km?

    5K?


    Corse-E SC trim is just over €26k before dealership fees, around €9k more than the equivalent petrol. You'd need to do some serious mileage to make back that price difference in running cost savings


    Not sure €5k off after 6 months is feasible, especially since with covid getting to 10,000km is going to be difficult. Having said that, I've always found depreciation to be a bit tricky to figure out, so we'll see what happens


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    Mad_Lad wrote: »
    One would want to be really daft though to buy an EV without doing their research first or at least some test drives on familiar routes.


    True, but it takes a little while for people to get over the initial range anxiety and get used to the car. Being able to do that without committing to buying the car is a good way to convince people. And for many people, once they've experienced driving electric they don't want to go back


    Another trick with giving out a loaner car for a few days is that you can give out the highest trim, people might be a bit more reluctant to go down to the budget trim after living in luxury


    As they say, once you've flown 1st class, no-one wants to go back to coach :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭ graememk


    Corse-E SC trim is just over €26k before dealership fees, around €9k more than the equivalent petrol. You'd need to do some serious mileage to make back that price difference in running cost savings


    Not sure €5k off after 6 months is feasible, especially since with covid getting to 10,000km is going to be difficult. Having said that, I've always found depreciation to be a bit tricky to figure out, so we'll see what happens

    getting to 10k is easy if your essential worker.


    But yeah thats my point, obvs they need to sell the car on if its swapped. -

    Im thinking of the next buyer, they have decided on an E-Corsa.

    how much of a discount would a 6 month old car need to have to make you not go for a new one? - thats the only realish way to judge depreciation in the first year.

    For instance, there is an E niro 1 yr old Uk import (odo is in miles, Irish has blue trim to seats, not white, small screen, so its a First edition) for 33k on donedeal.

    But i think opel dont think they will need to worry about too many being handed back. - a bit like that odd company that offerred to pay for the excess being generated from the solar they install - They have that cost built into their price.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭ grogi


    Corse-E SC trim is just over €26k before dealership fees, around €9k more than the equivalent petrol. You'd need to do some serious mileage to make back that price difference in running cost savings

    Yes, I am going to scream.

    IT IS NOT ALWAYS ABOUT SAVINGS!

    People who moved to EV don't want to look at ICE anymore not because of the couple of $€ they are saving.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,403 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    True, but it takes a little while for people to get over the initial range anxiety and get used to the car. Being able to do that without committing to buying the car is a good way to convince people. And for many people, once they've experienced driving electric they don't want to go back


    Another trick with giving out a loaner car for a few days is that you can give out the highest trim, people might be a bit more reluctant to go down to the budget trim after living in luxury


    As they say, once you've flown 1st class, no-one wants to go back to coach :)

    It's not just range anxiety it's charger anxiety lol.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    grogi wrote: »
    Yes, I am going to scream.

    IT IS NOT ALWAYS ABOUT SAVINGS!

    People who moved to EV don't want to look at ICE anymore not because of the couple of $€ they are saving.


    I agree, it's more about getting someone to get into the car in the first place and drive it. The potential savings is a big part of that.


    I was sceptical about the Leaf until I drove one, then I hated getting back into my Toyota afterwards. I didn't even do the maths on savings until after I'd bought the Leaf


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    graememk wrote: »
    getting to 10k is easy if your essential worker.


    But yeah thats my point, obvs they need to sell the car on if its swapped. -

    Im thinking of the next buyer, they have decided on an E-Corsa.

    how much of a discount would a 6 month old car need to have to make you not go for a new one? - thats the only realish way to judge depreciation in the first year.

    For instance, there is an E niro 1 yr old Uk import (odo is in miles, Irish has blue trim to seats, not white, small screen, so its a First edition) for 33k on donedeal.

    But i think opel dont think they will need to worry about too many being handed back. - a bit like that odd company that offerred to pay for the excess being generated from the solar they install - They have that cost built into their price.


    I'd say the E-Niro is a bit of a special case, demand is so high I wouldn't be surprised if a few folks made a profit on TCO


    But I see your point, it'd be worthwhile seeing in 6 months if any deals on 2nd hand E-Corsas turn up. There might be a nice bundle of savings there for anyone looking to buy one


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    Mad_Lad wrote: »
    It's not just range anxiety it's charger anxiety lol.


    Exactly, you can see from Bjorn Nyland's videos he almost never needs to worry about chargers being busted or occupied, there's almost always another charger at his destination, or within easy reach


    Maybe we should invite the Norwegians to take over Ireland, or sell the ESB to them or something :rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,403 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    Exactly, you can see from Bjorn Nyland's videos he almost never needs to worry about chargers being busted or occupied, there's almost always another charger at his destination, or within easy reach


    Maybe we should invite the Norwegians to take over Ireland, or sell the ESB to them or something :rolleyes:

    It was a big mistake giving the ESB control of the Public charging network but the Government usually don't make the correct decisions about anything.

    Even with lots of chargers it still takes too long to charge especially in Cold weather. But yes, more chargers would help.

    The last time I charged at Kilcullen, I was forced to pay more to use the 150 Kw charger because a Kona was using the 50 Kw and when the Model 3 pulled out I plugged into the 150 Kw and had to wait 20 mins for the M3 to finish, I would loose my mind if this happened a lot in a BEV just couldn't do it.

    It's a mad setup.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ Old diesel


    Exactly, you can see from Bjorn Nyland's videos he almost never needs to worry about chargers being busted or occupied, there's almost always another charger at his destination, or within easy reach


    Maybe we should invite the Norwegians to take over Ireland, or sell the ESB to them or something :rolleyes:

    Very good points re Bjorn and Norway.

    He's able to do 1000 Kms in a day easily enough from a charging prospective.

    Yes some cars do the journey faster then others due to better charging ability and range combinations.

    But he always has chargers to go to.

    Gailo - one of the places he uses for testing - looks like a relatively small place.

    But you know there's charging there when you need it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,403 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    Old diesel wrote: »
    Very good points re Bjorn and Norway.

    He's able to do 1000 Kms in a day easily enough from a charging prospective.

    Yes some cars do the journey faster then others due to better charging ability and range combinations.

    But he always has chargers to go to.

    Gailo - one of the places he uses for testing - looks like a relatively small place.

    But you know there's charging there when you need it.

    Bjorn is prepared to sit and wait on charging a lot of People are not.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ Old diesel


    Mad_Lad wrote: »
    Bjorn is prepared to sit and wait on charging a lot of People are not.

    Hes doing the trips in 10 to 12 hours depending on the car.

    Biggest impact on journey time seems to be the performance of the car re charging and efficiency rather then charger availability.

    As for Bjorn not having time to wait - he still needs to get the journey done with as little time loss as possible. For his challenge he wants the car to have as little time loss as possible


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ Old diesel


    Mad_Lad wrote: »
    Bjorn is prepared to sit and wait on charging a lot of People are not.

    Hes doing the trips in 10 to 12 hours depending on the car.

    Biggest impact on journey time seems to be the performance of the car re charging and efficiency rather then charger availability.

    As for Bjorn not having time to wait - he still needs to get the journey done with as little time loss as possible. For his challenge he wants the car to have as little time loss as possible


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,403 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    Old diesel wrote: »
    Hes doing the trips in 10 to 12 hours depending on the car.

    Biggest impact on journey time seems to be the performance of the car re charging and efficiency rather then charger availability.

    As for Bjorn not having time to wait - he still needs to get the journey done with as little time loss as possible. For his challenge he wants the car to have as little time loss as possible

    Yes but what I'm saying is Bjorn has nothing better to do than to make youtube videos and test drive cars. I got a life beyond cars, I have to work and kids I want to spend time with lol.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    So I guess to drag this thread back onto topic, looking at the Corsa-E it looks like a pretty decent option
    https://www.opel.ie/cars/corsa-models/corsa-e/overview.html

    The base trim is just under €27k so competing with the Zoe and Leaf40

    For your money you get 50kWh battery and 100kW DC charging via CCS

    They're also doing an offer with Energia where they'll give you a "free" charger and 20% of Energia rates (worth noting the best offer Energia is giving is 41% discount)

    I would say this one blows the Zoe out of the water as you get decent fast charging included from the outset, whereas the Zoe has 50kW fast charging as an option

    The Leaf40 is a bigger car, but more expensive, smaller battery and is basically limited to 50kW due to availability of Chademo plugs. So unless you need the same I'd say that's lost it's appeal

    The Peugoet e-208 is basically the same car underneath and is the same price and probably a bit better looking overall, so that's probably the main competition


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭ grogi


    Mad_Lad wrote: »
    Yes but what I'm saying is Bjorn has nothing better to do than to make youtube videos and test drive cars. I got a life beyond cars, I have to work and kids I want to spend time with lol.

    Don't you think he has life beyond cars?! If he makes a video in 4h vs 10h, that's extra 6h for his other commitments.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ Kramer


    Mad_Lad wrote: »
    Bjorn has nothing better to do than to make youtube videos and test drive cars. I got a life beyond cars, I have to work

    Making Youtube videos is Bjorn's work :pac:.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    grogi wrote: »
    Don't you think he has life beyond cars?! If he makes a video in 4h vs 10h, that's extra 6h for his other commitments.


    I'm sure he has a life but he doesn't seem to have kids or a 9-5 job, both of which involve a lot of time. Time spent commuting is essentially time you spend working for free


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,403 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    27K for 50 Kwh is on the right track and I wonder is the corsa-e selling well ?

    100 Kw ? pretty meaningless, charge times with a cold battery and overall charge curve are more important to know.

    The price on my 2018 SVE Leaf with 6.6 Kw charger at the time for 24 Kwh was 28.5K so 50 Kwh for almost the same is pretty decent.

    I'm not sure 40-43K for an E-Niro or E-soul, Kona etc is good value even with 64 Kwh.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    Mad_Lad wrote: »
    27K for 50 Kwh is on the right track and I wonder is the corsa-e selling well ?

    100 Kw ? pretty meaningless, charge times with a cold battery and overall charge curve are more important to know.

    The price on my 2018 SVE Leaf with 6.6 Kw charger at the time for 24 Kwh was 28.5K so 50 Kwh for almost the same is pretty decent.

    I'm not sure 40-43K for an E-Niro or E-soul, Kona etc is good value even with 64 Kwh.


    No idea of the sales, got the impression it's just released and there's no obvious difference between the ICE and EV models, so without checking for an exhaust it's hard to know


    It's the same car underneath as the e-208, which has a decent charging curve for the price, 16 mins gets you 5% -> 50%


    I definitely feel that Kia saw the demand for the E-Niro and raised the price by 5k, it's still 38k on the website. Hopefully the price will drop soon but as long as demand is outstripping supply that won't happen


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,403 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    No idea of the sales, got the impression it's just released and there's no obvious difference between the ICE and EV models, so without checking for an exhaust it's hard to know


    It's the same car underneath as the e-208, which has a decent charging curve for the price, 16 mins gets you 5% -> 50%


    I definitely feel that Kia saw the demand for the E-Niro and raised the price by 5k, it's still 38k on the website. Hopefully the price will drop soon but as long as demand is outstripping supply that won't happen

    Probably not a lot of E-Niro stock for Ireland, probably not producing as many as they could in general ?

    The e-208 isn't supposed to be very efficient though and it's pretty slow but I suppose still better than a 1.4 - 1.6 Diesel but at the top end it will be lacking.


Advertisement