Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Leave.eu campaign relocates to Waterford

• 07-01-2021 8:37pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So as part of Brexit UK company's based in uk loose access to EU domain names shortly, one of the most well know of these domains is the UK is Leave.eu domain.

The Irish Times are reporting that they've relocated their registered offices to Waterford.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/pro-brexit-campaign-leave-eu-relocates-to-waterford-1.4452308
    Losing access to the .eu suffix also impacts on website ranking results, hence Leave.EU’s decision to relocate to Waterford ahead of Britain’s exit from the EU last week.

Many social media users have mocked Leave.EU’s move and accused it of hypocrisy.

Leave.EU was a rival to Vote Leave, which was designated as the official Leave campaign during the 2016 Brexit referendum campaign. It was fined £70,000 by the Electoral Commission in Britain May 2018 for exceeding spending limits for “non-party registered campaigners.” However, an investigation by the National Crime Agency found no evidence of criminal offences. A criminal inquiry by the Metropolitan Police also found insufficient evidence to justify further action

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

There's more info on the company who allegedly handled the moving of their domain in this link:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/07/leaveeu-leaves-britain-after-brexit

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I was trying to find the whois info, thanks.

Very suspect it's registered to him, but he claims its nothing to do with it

People should be very, very wary of this group, like farrage they are in bed with the so called Irish freedom Party who want an Irish exit from the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Cabaal wrote:
    People should be very, very wary of this group, like farrage they are in bed with the so called Irish freedom Party who want an Irish exit from the EU.

As I said on the other thread, hopefully people realise how thick they are, as we all watch the UK collapse, thankfully polls still show, we 're strongly in favour of remaining

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    As I said on the other thread, hopefully people realise how thick they are, as we all watch the UK collapse, thankfully polls still show, we 're strongly in favour of remaining

How are we all watching the UK collapse? We should wish them well like good neighbours. There is nothing in it for us by them doing badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭jmcc

Around 27K UK owned .EU domain names "relocated" to Ireland in the last few months. The EU commission is completely out of its depth when dealing with the reality of the domain name business. It really hadn't a clue about how UK registrations should be dealt with and had been given iffy instructions to the .EU registry (EURid) on how to deal with this mess.

The .EU ccTLD had, at one stage, over 300K UK owned registrations. Many of these were from front companies that had abused the regulations when .EU launched in 2006 to register hundreds of thousands of domain names that might be "valuable". The interest, and potential value of these domain names, collapsed. Ironically, there are many UK owned registrations that are owned by people who use their .EU domain name for business and didn't want to lose it. There are also people up North who may have .EU domain names and do not want to lose them. Apparently Ireland has around 77,473 .EU registrations now. (https://eurid.eu/en/welcome-to-eurid/statistics/).

Regards...jmcc

How are we all watching the UK collapse? We should wish them well like good neighbours. There is nothing in it for us by them doing badly.

oh im not wishing them bad luck, ive uk relatives, and i suspect most irish also do to, theyve just committed economic suicide, this isnt gonna end well for them

Cabaal wrote: »
    I was trying to find the whois info, thanks.

Very suspect it's registered to him, but he claims its nothing to do with it

You can generally check the WHOIS for a .EU domain on the registry website.
    ( https://eurid.eu/en/ ). Click on the WHOIS link and enter the domain name. Some domain names will have the full details but others (where they are registered by individuals) may just have a contact e-mail. The hosting details (nameservers) do not seem to have changed since 2017. If you want to read the horror story of the launch of .EU ccTLD, it is in the free-to-read first chapter of the book in my sig.

Regards...jmcc

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    oh im not wishing them bad luck, ive uk relatives, and i suspect most irish also do to, theyve just committed economic suicide, this isnt gonna end well for them

I’d give it a couple of years before making any predictions. Personally I think they could do very well, they have so much more control over their own economic future now. We’ll have to wait to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,984 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I’d give it a couple of years before making any predictions. Personally I think they could do very well, they have so much more control over their own economic future now. We’ll have to wait to see.
    If you wait until things have already happened, whatever ever else you are making, it's not a prediction!

I can't see where you're getting the idea that the UK "have so much more control over their economic future now". Fairly obviously, the effect of Brexit is to give them signficantly less control over their economic future. Even in their most grandiose moments the Leave campaign never claimed that the UK would do this. Take back control of "our borders, our laws, our money"; yes. But control over the economic future? No. Not a chance.

• Advertisement

One argument that was used by the Leave side was that the UK would be able to negotiate trade deals that would benefit the UK rather than the EU. The fishing issue seems to be one case where it had the EU over a barrel.

Regards...jmcc

Peregrinus wrote: »
    If you wait until things have already happened, whatever ever else you are making, it's not a prediction!

I can't see where you're getting the idea that the UK "have so much more control over their economic future now". Fairly obviously, the effect of Brexit is to give them signficantly less control over their economic future. Even in their most grandiose moments the Leave campaign never claimed that the UK would do this. Take back control of "our borders, our laws, our money"; yes. But control over the economic future? No. Not a chance.

I’m sure you are indeed a great economic genius, but I will reserve judgement for a couple of years which is my prerogative. 2 years is a very short time so I’m not sure what you think will have already happened, it will still be as it is now, an evolving situation, as are all economies.

economic fact: you do most of your trade with your nearest countries! theyve just agreed a trade deal that has given them less access to their nearest trade partners, one of the biggest markets in the world! scotland is just about to head off, then theres northern ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,984 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I’m sure you are indeed a great economic genius, but I will reserve judgement for a couple of years which is my prerogative. 2 years is a very short time so I’m not sure what you think will have already happened, it will still be as it is now, an evolving situation, as are all economies.
    Unless you think something will have happened within the next two years, I don't see why you imagine it will be any easier to make predictions then than it is now.

As you say, Brexit is an evolving situation, but of course it has been evolving for four or five years already. We've known since 2016 that the UK would be leaving; since 2017 that it would be pursuing a hard Brexit; since 2018 that there is no consensus in the UK on what Brexit should achieve or how it might acheive it, since 2019 that Brexit will involve internal economic borders within the UK; since 2020 that it will involve significant new non-tariff barriers with the UK's nearest and largest trading partners. And in that period we have observed the UK measurably and steadily underperforming comparable EU econmies that it used to closely match while in the EU. So it's not as though nothing has happened already which might offer pointers to the UK's economic future.

Advertisement