Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Strange missed calls since signing up for Crypto!

  • 03-01-2021 4:06pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ baalad


    Anyone else experienced this?

    I jumped on the crypto bandwagon last week and obviously i had to set up some accounts to do so. To date i have created an account with Binance, Coinbase, Kraken etc

    Some of these require your phone number for 2 factor authentication so i supplied it.

    However, over the past 2/3 days i have begun getting missed calls from non irish phone numbers!

    Anyone else experience this ??


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ jmlad2020


    By "strange calls" do you mean an automated call giving you a one time 2 factor authentication code?

    These will be from odd international numbers. You can choose to receive the code by SMS or Call if you look carefully.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭ Elessar


    baalad wrote: »
    Anyone else experienced this?

    I jumped on the crypto bandwagon last week and obviously i had to set up some accounts to do so. To date i have created an account with Binance, Coinbase, Kraken etc

    Some of these require your phone number for 2 factor authentication so i supplied it.

    However, over the past 2/3 days i have begun getting missed calls from non irish phone numbers!

    Anyone else experience this ??

    That aside, switch off the SMS verification and use an authenticator app like Microsoft Authenticator, that gives you a code.

    Plenty of stories of scammers getting your phone number, phoning up your mobile provider and getting them to switch your number to a new sim, then they get your codes get access to your account and drain your crypto wallets.

    Seriously get the app and switch it for all of them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ baalad


    I use google authenticator also but some sites send a code to my phone in order to verify me.

    Haven't answered any of the calls. They just call and hang up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ dougal0691


    baalad wrote: »
    I use google authenticator also but some sites send a code to my phone in order to verify me.

    Haven't answered any of the calls. They just call and hang up.

    watch this video. explains a lot of the risks of SMS verification. https://youtu.be/SNpphMz-w5w


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭ Whelo79


    I'm in crypto a few years but got a couple of different calls last week from 039 and 032 prefixes telling me I had registered interest in earning additional income and they were calling me back to discuss. I told them they had the wrong number, to remove me from their list and hung up. I blocked the number after each call and haven't heard anything before this or since. So it may just be coincidence in the timing for yourself.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 59,742 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    You lads probably owned a ledger? Your account details were hacked, they are now in the public domain, for all to see.

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭ Whelo79


    unkel wrote: »
    You lads probably owned a ledger? Your account details were hacked, they are now in the public domain, for all to see.

    That's not what happened in my case anyway.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭ grindle


    Did you buy direct from Ledger? Only those were leaked, or people on their email list. People who bought from resellers are all good.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ Irish_rat


    baalad wrote: »
    I use google authenticator also but some sites send a code to my phone in order to verify me.

    Haven't answered any of the calls. They just call and hang up.

    Yeah just switch all your 2fa to something else other than SMS.

    Yubikey looks like the best option.


Advertisement