Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Another full lockdown looming? - mod warning in OP

  • 26-12-2020 8:31am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ mea_k


    I work for non essential retail, and was due to go for mortgage in June /July it's now been pushed and pushed out again and again. With covid payments and then on the wage subsidy scheme and then back on covid payment. Im now physically feeling defeated.
    With news saying all none essential retail can stay open I felt like celebrating because it ment I was step closer. But now with all the cases I'm driving myself mad. Will it go all backwards again?
    I really hope I will be able to work.

    Mod warning 26/12/20
    Beasty wrote: »
    No more mask talk in this thread

    Use the dedicated thread

    And if you are threadbanned there but decide to discuss them here you can expect a removal of posting privileges


«13456734

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 27,187 ✭✭✭✭ _Kaiser_


    mea_k wrote: »
    I work for non essential retail, and was due to go for mortgage in June /July it's now been pushed and pushed out again and again. With covid payments and then on the wage subsidy scheme and then back on covid payment. Im now physically feeling defeated.
    With news saying all none essential retail can stay open I felt like celebrating because it ment I was step closer. But now with all the cases I'm driving myself mad. Will it go all backwards again?
    I really hope I will be able to work.

    Well Tony has already called for "non-essential" retail to be closed, and the Government are to meet next week so I would say he'll probably get his way yet again.

    Complete nonsense of course. You can go spend hours wandering around Dunnes or Tesco's food aisles if you like, but doom awaits if you venture into the clothing or homeware sections :rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ pconn062


    Unfortunately you are going to have to assume that for the next 6-12 months they are going to roll from one pointless lockdown to another. It's a disgrace but it seems to be the only thing in the government and NPHET covid playbook. We are in a similar position, we had AIP last February which was pulled as soon as I was forced to close my business. Since then it's been a case of opening up and closing down. We have written off trying to apply for a mortgage in 2021 entirely and will put it off until 2022 as this cycle is going to continue, even after they vaccinate people IMO.


  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ mea_k


    Absolute madness if he gets his way. All I'm trying to do is put roof over our heads to call our own. This will kill economy completely if we close down the country again.. 2 of my friends lost their jobs completely due to covid with last lockdown. All families with kids. Its tragic to be honest.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭ kowloonkev


    Not in Ireland, but is it just a case of not being able to trust people to wear a mask in shops? Is everybody wearing masks in shops? Are they being kicked out for not wearing one?


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    kowloonkev wrote: »
    Not in Ireland, but is it just a case of not being able to trust people to wear a mask in shops? Is everybody wearing masks in shops? Are they being kicked out for not wearing one?

    Staff will say they won’t tell people to put one on but then will lament their workplace being closed.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭ Collie D


    Staff will say they won’t tell people to put one on but then will lament their workplace being closed.

    Adults shouldn’t need to be told to wear a mask at this stage.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Collie D wrote: »
    Adults shouldn’t need to be told to wear a mask at this stage.

    Yet they’ve proven time and time again that they should. From day one, staff should have been told not to serve anyone without one.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ mike8634


    mea_k wrote: »
    Absolute madness if he gets his way. All I'm trying to do is put roof over our heads to call our own. This will kill economy completely if we close down the country again.. 2 of my friends lost their jobs completely due to covid with last lockdown. All families with kids. Its tragic to be honest.

    This thread will be closed or merged soon

    But yeah feel your pain, absolute disgrace whats happening now with the closures

    I had to eat Christmas dinner outside yesterday under a canopy as my parents and sister have been completely brainwashed by the media, thinking we are going to kill each other

    My wife is a nurse and her colleagues are having a good laugh about it this morning in work, its gone way too far now


  • Registered Users Posts: 29,151 ✭✭✭✭ NIMAN


    To be honest, it's incredibly rare now to see an adult without a mask on in any store or shop. From my own experience, compliance is near total.

    So it's some other actions that are spreading the virus, not lack of face coverings.


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,187 ✭✭✭✭ _Kaiser_


    Staff will say they won’t tell people to put one on but then will lament their workplace being closed.

    Because it's unnecessary. Mask compliance in shops is not an issue from what I see every time I'm in one.

    Of course, using the same empirical evidence, you can also see that they're largely ineffective regardless. They played no part at all in the reducing cases and spread in the summer months, and have done nothing to prevent the increasing number of cases in the autumn and winter months. The same effect is seen outside Ireland too. One might say they're only a placebo for those who need one.

    Retailers being open or closed has zero to do with masks.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭ PowerToWait


    mea_k wrote: »
    Absolute madness if he gets his way.

    Absolute hysteria from the string-up-Holohan crowd as usual.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭ cee_jay


    NIMAN wrote: »
    To be honest, it's incredibly rare now to see an adult without a mask on in any store or shop. From my own experience, compliance is near total.

    So it's some other actions that are spreading the virus, not lack of face coverings.

    You are very lucky then. In my local Lidl on Christmas eve, there were people (customers and staff) without masks and masks below noses/Chins.
    The amount of people who wear masks below their nose is quite high in my experience, I don't know why they even both wearing one in the first place if they won't wear it properly.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Because it's unnecessary. Mask compliance in shops is not an issue from what I see every time I'm in one.

    Of course, using the same empirical evidence, you can also see that they're largely ineffective regardless. They played no part at all in the reducing cases and spread in the summer months, and have done nothing to prevent the increasing number of cases in the autumn and winter months. The same effect is seen outside Ireland too. One might say they're only a placebo for those who need one.

    Retailers being open or closed has zero to do with masks.

    You forgot to bring up the lizard people and mind control.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭ PowerToWait


    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Because it's unnecessary. Mask compliance in shops is not an issue from what I see every time I'm in one.


    Are you seriously that self absorbed? That all that you see or choose to see is all that happens in the world?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭ kowloonkev


    NIMAN wrote: »
    To be honest, it's incredibly rare now to see an adult without a mask on in any store or shop. From my own experience, compliance is near total.

    So it's some other actions that are spreading the virus, not lack of face coverings.

    If that's the case then there is no need to close non-essential businesses, apart from pubs.

    Schools and home gatherings are by far the bigger issue. Maybe small retailers need to come together with some kind of legal action.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ mike8634


    _Kaiser_ wrote: »

    Retailers being open or closed has zero to do with masks.

    Very true

    They just don't want people to leave the house

    They might as well put loud speakers on the roofs of guarda cars pelting out stay inside, dont leave your house, in every town and village at this stage


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey


    Collie D wrote: »
    Adults shouldn’t need to be told to wear a mask at this stage.

    Your correct they should be told to get their Vitamin D levels checked instead to prevent 9 out of 10 deaths.
    https://www.foxnews.com/health/vitamin-d-other-everyday-vitamins-could-counter-coronavirus-effects-report


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,187 ✭✭✭✭ _Kaiser_


    You forgot to bring up the lizard people and mind control.

    Your idiotic response and inability to actually respond to the points raised says more about your argument than mine to be honest.

    Not an uncommon thing among those who spend more time bothering themselves about what others are doing I'll grant you.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭ Happydays2020


    I must say that from what I have seen - in shops, on the Dart and on the LUAS, there is a very high compliance rate on masks. The odd person not wearing or on their chin but it is very much the exception not the rule.

    The evidence in respect to the retail sector is that there have been very few outbreaks with retail staff. If there had been evidence, Tony and his mate George would be constantly telling us this.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,365 ✭✭✭✭ pjohnson


    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Your idiotic response and inability to actually respond to the points raised says more about your argument than mine to be honest.

    Not an uncommon thing among those who spend more time bothering themselves about what others are doing I'll grant you.
    Your "points" have been addressed and debunked for months already. Why do you think everyone should keep running in circles to amuse you?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭ Ficheall


    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Complete nonsense of course. You can go spend hours wandering around Dunnes or Tesco's food aisles if you like, but doom awaits if you venture into the clothing or homeware sections :rolleyes:
    They're probably using some crazy rationale like people needing to eat to survive.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭ Ficheall


    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Of course, using the same empirical evidence, you can also see that they're largely ineffective regardless. They played no part at all in the reducing cases and spread in the summer months, and have done nothing to prevent the increasing number of cases in the autumn and winter months.
    Presumably you can provide some research to back this up?


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,187 ✭✭✭✭ _Kaiser_


    pjohnson wrote: »
    Your "points" have been addressed and debunked for months already. Why do you think everyone should keep running in circles to amuse you?

    More immaturity and childishness. See my post above.

    A group of posters thanking each others posts and repeating the same narrative regardless of being presented with the facts (as I've done here) is not debunking anything.

    But feel free to continue to say more about the strength (or lack thereof) of your argument than mine with your responses


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭ wirelessdude01


    Every Covid thread ends up the same, same idiots arguing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭ siblers


    pconn062 wrote: »
    Unfortunately you are going to have to assume that for the next 6-12 months they are going to roll from one pointless lockdown to another. It's a disgrace but it seems to be the only thing in the government and NPHET covid playbook. We are in a similar position, we had AIP last February which was pulled as soon as I was forced to close my business. Since then it's been a case of opening up and closing down. We have written off trying to apply for a mortgage in 2021 entirely and will put it off until 2022 as this cycle is going to continue, even after they vaccinate people IMO.

    I would have thought with the vaccine being rolled out, we'd be looking at level 1/2 lock downs in the second half of the year (if not a bit sooner) and we would no longer have level 3 to 5 lockdowns


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,365 ✭✭✭✭ pjohnson


    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    More immaturity and childishness. See my post above.

    A group of posters thanking each others posts and repeating the same narrative regardless of being presented with the facts (as I've done here) is not debunking anything.

    But feel free to continue to say more about the strength (or lack thereof) of your argument than mine with your responses
    Aye that about sums up the "anti-restrictions/open up/all hail Sweden" crowd. Its about ten of ye regurgitating the same copy-paste posts :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,187 ✭✭✭✭ _Kaiser_


    Ficheall wrote: »
    Presumably you can provide some research to back this up?

    Simple facts..

    Masks were not mandatory or in general use until the late summer during which the numbers of cases continued to fall with zero deaths on many days. This despite the country being almost (pubs aside) fully reopened since late May.

    Masks were introduced around August as I recall and since then we've had much concern from the HSE about rising cases in those months with other restrictions on movements and interaction imposed alongside the mask requirements.

    Source : HSE figures and statements.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭ Ficheall


    siblers wrote: »
    I would have thought with the vaccine being rolled out, we'd be looking at level 1/2 lock downs in the second half of the year (if not a bit sooner) and we would no longer have level 3 to 5 lockdowns
    I'd expect one big 5 one in Jan and then hopefully they'll gradually peter out.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭ Darc19


    pconn062 wrote: »
    Unfortunately you are going to have to assume that for the next 6-12 months they are going to roll from one pointless lockdown to another. It's a disgrace but it seems to be the only thing in the government and NPHET covid playbook. We are in a similar position, we had AIP last February which was pulled as soon as I was forced to close my business. Since then it's been a case of opening up and closing down. We have written off trying to apply for a mortgage in 2021 entirely and will put it off until 2022 as this cycle is going to continue, even after they vaccinate people IMO.
    More hysterical sh1te - you'd wonder if people engaged their brains sometimes, or maybe they take all their news from fakebook and the daily muck.

    Majority of population will be vaccinated by end of April.

    All vulnerable caregories will be vaccinated by end of February.


    But one thing I notice is that those who are the most hysterical about covid seem also to be against getting the vaccine.

    Go figure.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭ prunudo


    Every Covid thread ends up the same, same idiots arguing.

    Op had some obvious concerns and questions but as usual the thread gets derailed and goes off topic and back to the same back and forth he siad/she said posts. Not sure if posters do it on purpose or if they just think they're being right all the time.


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement