Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Design/Re Decorate Living Room, Hall, Stairs

Options
  • 22-12-2020 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, looking for advice/ideas on options for the above.
    Rough plan would be
    Living Room - new floor (carpet or laminate), new units or shelving, re position the door, new Rad, new lighting, skirting boards, paint
    Hall/Stairs/Landing - skirting boards, re paint stairs, new carpet, new rad, new lighting
    Possibly new front door
    Questions - is this a job that I would to coordinate between multiple tradesmen or could somebody look after it themselves? What would be most cost effective?
    Should I be looking for a builder or painter/decorator?
    Would I need a designer to help plan it or would a painter/decorator suffice?
    Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Hi, looking for advice/ideas on options for the above.
    Rough plan would be
    Living Room - new floor (carpet or laminate), new units or shelving, re position the door, new Rad, new lighting, skirting boards, paint
    Hall/Stairs/Landing - skirting boards, re paint stairs, new carpet, new rad, new lighting
    Possibly new front door
    Questions - is this a job that I would to coordinate between multiple tradesmen or could somebody look after it themselves? What would be most cost effective?
    Should I be looking for a builder or painter/decorator?
    Would I need a designer to help plan it or would a painter/decorator suffice?
    Any help would be appreciated

Hi,
    i recommend looking at best heating.ie for some designer radiators, ive fitted them throughout my home and the heat output is much better as there is more surface to air contact, also check out Aladdin automatic radiator bleed valves,

its an easy job to integrate the radiator pipes in to the wall which makes it easer to clean the floor without hitting off pipes, also looks better,
    ive painted the wall red using a small sample pot of paint to insure the person fitting the skirting boards doesnt drive a nail through the radiator pipe.

removed the original radiator

pocKGJ3xj

positioned the replacement

poIaJcsrj

removed the replacement then wrapping it in a duvet while the walls were chased out to recess the pipes,

poBaKoq4j

filled around the pipes then with a can of expanding foam,
    followed by a small 5kg bag of cement purchased from woodies,

pnWaJajHj

filled the wall with RonSeal ready mixed filler, then painted, followed by fitting the radiator, I haven't gotten the floor fitted or sofa replaced yet but heres how it looks,

poOY62Gzj

painted the areas where pipes are inside the wall with red paint, will later be covered by the floor and skirting board,

podsqQfCj

for repositioning a door you would really need to talk to a builder or renovator to find out whether there would be any support issues with putting the door in the desired location; if there is no structural issue then a concrete cutting saw will do most of the work, very dusty but tidy finish cutting out the lines for the new door frame,

if your not looking to relocate the existing position of the lighting; just change the fittings then you could save yourself the cost of an electrician by installing the new fixtures yourself,

also painting; if you had the time is a job that is easy enough to complete provided the correct preparation work is done, I've filled any imperfections in the walls with the ronseal ready mixed filler and sanded with an orbital sander followed by cleaning the walls with sugar soap solution, ready for painting using Stanley branded rollers and brushes.
    a good quality matt white base perhaps two coats then two or three coats of the desired color,
    wrap the tray and roller with cling film between coats to keep it fresh,
    painting the stairs use a smaller roller for the banisters and small brush to dab in the areas where the small roller doesn't make contact.

all images taken from my home improvement thread here: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/#comments

poxYM16Bj

poLHCcBZj

pomZaKq9j

pmQsSn5Hj

pokAQlgaj

what's your plans for the hall ?
    ive relocated and fitted a vertical radiator which I've fitted a coat hanging rail to the top; the jackets now get warmed as part of the central heating

poJRbkxnj

pnpawQNrj

pnbm2M60j

again the red paint

pmVSO7hyj

what plans have you got for the living room?
    is there a fire, are you planning to mount a television on the wall? custom made shelving or ikea module ?

Advertisement