Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocktails - hood items to have

• 21-12-2020 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭

Even though we are not massive drinkers, picked up a cocktail shaker set as a gift for my wife for xmas.

We have some baileys, gin and whiskey somewhere in the press, but is there 3 or 4 spirits/mixers that one would advise to get to cover a number of cocktails?
    I dont expect to be doing any tom cruise style mixing (hello 80's kids!) so not looking for anything too fancy!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Really depends on what you like to drink but a bottle of vodka and rum would be fairly standard on top of what you already have,

Espresso martinis are very popular these days so you might want a bottle of Tia Maria/Kahlua (also needs vodka).

Sugar syrup is fairly common in a lot of cocktails. Make it yourself at home using 1/3 sugar to 2/3 water. I reuse old spirit bottles so it looks nice in the cabinet too.

In terms of mixers they can be awkward as some need to be fresh e.g. fruit juice. A good mix of small cans of tonic, soda water, ginger ale/beer and coke will keep you well covered though. They can at least be shoved in a press until needed as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Definitely pick up a bottle of vodka, you can do loads of great easy cocktails with it - cosmos, espresso martini, Moscow mules.

Cointreau is a good ingredient to have, bit pricey but crops up in loads of drinks. I love a lemon drop martini or margarita, both of which have Cointreau.

If any of the recipes you want to make have lemon or lime get double the amount you think you'll need, I'm always running out of limes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

you need something you can measure with, I'd recommend a digital scales, because cocktails work best when the spirits and mixers are in the proper proportions

you need the following bottles

whiskey
    bourbon
    vodka
    gin
    white rum
    dark rum
    brandy/cognac

mixers already mentioned

a long spoon

some appropriate glassware

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Eggs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

If you’ve got gin then I would suggest:-

- Sweet vermouth

- Campari

- Bourbon

- Bitters (I suggest orange bitters)

From the above, and a few bits like egg white and lemon juice, you can make Negronis, Boulevardier, Americano, Manhattan, Old Fashioned, Whisky sour and others...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Really depends on your tastes, but I’d say simple syrup (homemade!), vermouth, Angostura bitters are all worth having.

Check out the IBA’s list of cocktails and see what ingredients come up frequently for the ones you like the sound of.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Vodka & Triple Sec would be 2 to have...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lots of lemon and lime juice are vital cocktail ingredients for me. I juice and freeze citrus juice.

If you have a spirit, citrus juice and sugar, you can always make a tasty simple cocktail.

Advertisement