Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nasal Spray - Potential Anti-Viral Covid 19 Protection Claim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

I am surprised there has not been more interest in this. I have used a Vicks zinc nasal spray for colds in the past, so there is an existing technology in place. I wonder if there is an equivalent for Corona on sale anywhere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

I am surprised there has not been more interest in this. I have used a Vicks zinc nasal spray for colds in the past, so there is an existing technology in place. I wonder if there is an equivalent for Corona on sale anywhere ?

This sort of thing needs WHO/CDC/HSE/etc support (and marketing support) for adoption. People will pass it off as BS otherwise. I haven't looked into this myself, and so have nothing to say regarding its efficacy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's a clinical trial for a nasal vaccine underway and vaccines are the focus at present.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/economy/arid-40196142.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I use the Vicks first defence and i found it great as always get a sore throat if i get hair wet outside,sore throat follows and i know colds follow. Any time i have used it works and very happy with the outcome.
    Be nice to hear if it does help against covid but dam well does against a full blown cold when caught early.

greasepalm wrote: »
    I use the Vicks first defence and i found it great as always get a sore throat if i get hair wet outside,sore throat follows and i know colds follow. Any time i have used it works and very happy with the outcome.
    Be nice to hear if it does help against covid but dam well does against a full blown cold when caught early.

Anything that reduces your covid risk is a good thing. Another Nasal spray i read recently and is in trials, ferrets were innoculated with covid with one group getting spray and other group getting nothing. Viral load was 95% less less in group with spray. My view is some of these sprays both act as a prevention and as early treatment. If your taking the spray regularly and hoping your treating yourself potentially before you have any symptoms if you do get infected. Im taking taffix 3 times a day as is my wife. When a better nasal spray comes out we will switch or when we get vaccine we will quit sprays altogether. As for the WHO they do mention on their website about potential reduction in symptoms of colds etc from saline nasal treatment. The who will tell us when pandemic is over nasal sprays are good. Far too conservative in this pandemic when evidence was staring them in the face. They would rather say nothing so nobody can dispute. What is badly lacking in this pandemic is giving people tools etc so as to avoid getting really sick from covid from overall health and what to do if you get sick.

Few things i think are important:

1. Maximise immune system.

2. If your going to get covid get a low viral load through masks, sprays and social distancing.

3. Reduce viral load when you get infected with certain mouthwashes betadine/listerine and nasal sprays/washes.

4. Be prepated and dont panic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I heard of a spray with nitric oxide. This gas has antiviral action. It is produced naturally in the nasal cavity. Breathing thru nose as much as possible is another defence and has many benefits apart from treating air going to lungs with Nitric Oxide. The volume of air produced by the mouth versus the nose is worth thinking about in a situation where exhaled ( and inhaled air) is cause of viral spread.

Taffex appears to be only nasal spray product available in europle that has done research on covid, on sale now and marketing as tool against covid. There will be others later in year. Many products in development/trials at this stage. Watch this space. Many products will be available by end of this year. Although hopefully our pandemuc will be largely over.

This sort of thing needs WHO/CDC/HSE/etc support (and marketing support) for adoption. People will pass it off as BS otherwise. I haven't looked into this myself, and so have nothing to say regarding its efficacy :pac:

The WHO will sit on its hands for months and months. Their website does give a little credence to nasal saline wash to reduce symptoms of colds in their covid frequently asked questions. HSE will take advice from ecdc and ecdc from WHO. Its all extremely slow and cumbersome looking in europe anyhow re covid advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,339 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Covid is super easy to kill out side the body, so it probably works

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

This isn't available in Ireland

The taffix spray mentioned in the first post looks interesting. Main ingredient is HPMC, which is available in Vick's first defence!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Been using Vicks First defence for years as it stops a cold before it happens and first sign of a sore throat and its gone.

There was a woman on Sky News earlier from the Australian firm that is supplying one. You have to use it every 4-6 a day.

The taffix spray mentioned in the first post looks interesting. Main ingredient is HPMC, which is available in Vick's first defence!

Yes I use taffix daily.

Have about ten bottles at home.

Evidence/research seems good.

Will keep taking until vaccination.

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭Jerrykay6

Are they making any progress on the anal testing swab?

Yes I use taffix daily.

Have about ten bottles at home.

Evidence/research seems good.

Will keep taking until vaccination.

Are you in the UK? We don't have taffix over here in Ireland, I think their method of production is special.

Are you in the UK? We don't have taffix over here in Ireland, I think their method of production is special.

If you have an ebay account there is plenty on there that will post to anywhere.

Israel is were it is produced but approved for sale in europe and many other countries in world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Jerrykay6 wrote: »
    Are they making any progress on the anal testing swab?

Not a lot I hear, it's a pain in the arse apparently.

If you have an ebay account there is plenty on there that will post to anywhere.

Israel is were it is produced but approved for sale in europe and many other countries in world.

Very expensive on eBay but if it works, I'll do anything not to get this virus. Hope it doesn't get pulled at customs.

• Advertisement

Enovid - Sanotize

Seems a good theurapeutic.

Within 72 hours of use, the viral load dropped by more than 99%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭snowcat

Id say Pfizer will buy them out for billions. Amazing they got this far.

Take care if ordering this product online. It has the same brand name as the first oral contraceptive pill.

It will also be instructive as to how many folk begin lauding this miracle curing involving continuous ongoing administration of a chemical directly into the body while simultaneously expressing doubts about something more effective requiring only 2 doses

I personally would only use this if i picked up covid and to reduce infection.

Wouldnt use it prevent.

If this product can indeed reduce viral load by 99% in the nasal area it will be far more effective than the vaccines at reducing spread. Recent study has shown breakthrough infections of Delta have same viral load as unvaccinated. Again I cant see the pharma companies allowing this to gain traction if it does indeed work as described. Nitric oxide (ingredient) is a well understood gas and is been used for treating respiratory issues successfully for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Even if they wanted to, how could they do that? If it shown to work as claimed, regulatory bodies will approve it.

How does it work, are you suppose to use it once a day>? an hour> ? a minute?

How exactly do you know when to use it.

Use if you develop symptoms/test positive.

Otherwise you would be spraying every day which is bound to have some long term side effects.

Everything does to some extent if you use every day.

Trial in UK of covid positive patients reduced viral load to 0% in nose within 3 days after using when confirmed positive (95% in 24 hours). Felt better quicker than control group.

• Advertisement

Top Cats Piss would do the same in that case ?

Advertisement