Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Garage: car cover or not?

• 09-12-2020 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭ RobAMerc

what do folks think of having a car cover on a car in a garage

now - when I say a car cover, its actually an outdoor cover - Stormforce waterproof.

Any reason I shouldnt use it indoors ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭ krissovo

I find even the breathable storm covers hold moisture in the car longer than without so I would be careful. I now use light indoor soft covers and dehumidifiers with refills from aldi in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭ w124man

I use bodyshop plastic sheets. Perfectly good enough. I wouldn't use an outdoor cover that has been used outdoors unless it proper dry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭ kev1.3s

I use an outdoor cover indoors during the summer months as there are swallows nesting in my shed, in the winter I leave it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ _ptashek_

RobAMerc wrote: »
    what do folks think of having a car cover on a car in a garage

now - when I say a car cover, its actually an outdoor cover - Stormforce waterproof.

Any reason I shouldnt use it indoors ?

I've used an outdoor cover in the garage for 4 years now, without any issues. Keeps the car nice and clean over winter. But my garage is climate controlled, so high humidity and the resulting mold/mildew and bad smells are a non-issue.

I wouldn't use one in an unheated, ambient air garage. Mold/mildew will quickly take hold under the cover.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 ✭✭✭ AmirPelavin01

I just bought one piece that I'm hoping is good enough for all situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,654 ✭✭✭✭ listermint

Alot of problems come from the surface it's parked on. Best parking the car on a membrane if the concrete floor doesn't have a dpc. Moisture just rises up out of the concrete into whatever is above it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭ noelf

Got a dehumidifier for the car today gives off heat as well as removing water .. left the car cover off ..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 4,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭ kadman

noelf wrote: »
    Got a dehumidifier for the car today gives off heat as well as removing water .. left the car cover off ..

Nice tidy little unit:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭ hi5

_ptashek_ wrote: »
    I've used an outdoor cover in the garage for 4 years now, without any issues. Keeps the car nice and clean over winter. But my garage is climate controlled, so high humidity and the resulting mold/mildew and bad smells are a non-issue.

I wouldn't use one in an unheated, ambient air garage. Mold/mildew will quickly take hold under the cover.

I was able to brush it off ..

• Advertisement

Dehumidifier is doing a great job despite the car hasn't been outside the shed in a month ..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,862 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

Link to where you got it, noelf?

"Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022

unkel wrote: »
    Link to where you got it, noelf?

https://www.meaco-dehumidifiers.ie/meaco-dd8l-dehumidifier/

€220 .. the same one I saw in Homebase about €160 dearer ..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,862 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

Must look into that, even try to find a DC based humidifier as the car is on my drive out in the elements (no garage) and I don't really want to run a power cable into it 24/7. Need to do something though as the cheap €1.50 jobbies from Dealz don't really cut the mustard if the car is sitting for weeks / months on end without being started and heated up

"Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022

Advertisement