Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Sports HD without HD sub

• 08-12-2020 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi. I recently added the Sky Sports and Sports Extra package to my Sky package due to the good offer but I do not have the HD pack.

I am only receiving the SD channels. I was of the opinion now that all sports channels come in HD as standard and that the HD pack is not required to receive these. Premier sports HD is fine but none of the Sky Sports or BT Sports HD channels work and I am asked to upgrade when I switch to them.

Am I right in thinking that I should be getting the HD channels too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

harryohh wrote: »
    Hi. I recently added the Sky Sports and Sports Extra package to my Sky package due to the good offer but I do not have the HD pack.

I am only receiving the SD channels. I was of the opinion now that all sports channels come in HD as standard and that the HD pack is not required to receive these. Premier sports HD is fine but none of the Sky Sports or BT Sports HD channels work and I am asked to upgrade when I switch to them.

Yes you should be.

I was a Sky Sports subscriber for three decades and I recently closed my account as I wanted to save few quid I now have Eir tv and Now TV Sports and Sports Extra.

Anyway a Sky rep called me yesterday offering me deals to go back to Sky and he informed me that the Sports are now HD as standard without the need of a HD subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Yes you should be.

I was a Sky Sports subscriber for three decades and I recently closed my account as I wanted to save few quid I now have Eir tv and Now TV Sports and Sports Extra.

Anyway a Sky rep called me yesterday offering me deals to go back to Sky and he informed me that the Sports are now HD as standard without the need of a HD subscription

Not true (at least in my case), I have Sports for my auld fella at home (SKY Sports/BT/Premier, you need a HD sub in Ireland for Sky Sports HD, you do seem to get Premier in HD, however.

If you get sky moves you get HD alright (but just for movies).

In the UK I understand they do give HD as standard for Sports

A lovely complicated thread on sky - here is the link - seems it's extra for Irish customers
    https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sky-sports-not-in-HD/td-p/3523743/page/2

• Registered Users Posts: 45,800 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Not unless it was thrown in as part of an incentive to keep you as a customer. At least thats the way it was up to earlier this year. Sky makes millions from selling the HD element as a stand alone deal.

As long as people willing and able to pay extra for HD Sky will continue to charge for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pandaa

Which is best if I wanna watch EPL. Sky Sports or Sky Sports Extra on Now TV? CL i can watch on Virgin Mobile Sports pass. Basically, if sports pass or sports pass extra which shows more EPL matches. If it is SP Extra, saves me money on virgin sports pass then.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭lertsnim

pandaa wrote: »
    Which is best if I wanna watch EPL and Champions League. Sky Sports or Sky Sports Extra on Now TV?

Am I required to buy both. I may be wrong not all match are streamed on sky sports extra specially matches between big teams?

Champions League is BT Sports and this will also give you the BT and Premier Sports Premier League Games.

Meanwhile Sky Sports have the majority of the so called big games in the Premier League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pandaa

lertsnim wrote: »
    Champions League is BT Sports and this will also give you the BT and Premier Sports Premier League Games.

Meanwhile Sky Sports have the majority of the so called big games in the Premier League.

Thanks. My question was really badly worded

Which is best if I wanna watch EPL. Sky Sports or Sky Sports Extra on Now TV? CL i can watch on Virgin Mobile Sports pass. Basically, if sports pass or sports pass extra which shows more EPL matches. If it is SP Extra, saves me money on virgin sports pass then.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭harryohh

muffler wrote: »
    Not unless it was thrown in as part of an incentive to keep you as a customer. At least thats the way it was up to earlier this year. Sky makes millions from selling the HD element as a stand alone deal.

As long as people willing and able to pay extra for HD Sky will continue to charge for it.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/09/sky-sports-channels-to-be-upgraded-to-hd---but-you-ll-have-to-pa/

It has apparently been HD as standard since October 2018 but of course their website is unhelpful.

To further add to the confusion I rang them this morning to find out. At first I called with a question about my subscription rather than looking for a cancellation. The person who I was talking to put me on hold for several minutes while she "asked the other staff around her". Eventually she came back saying that it wasn't HD as standard and the HD pack was required. I then requested to cancel and talked to somebody in cancellations. He told me (after consulting with his manager) that it should be HD as standard and said he would activate it for me. That was this afternoon but as of now the HD sports channels are still not available to me.

They haven't a clue themselves it seems. I'll ring them tomorrow again. On the plus side the call was answered very quickly at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I only renewed sky sports and bt yesterday, I rang to cancel it as the half price deal was up but they offered me half price for another six months but hd channels aren't standard here it seems. All HD channels should be included in whatever subscription you have with sky

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭harryohh

After more browsing the UK version of the website actually explicitly states that all of the sports channels come in HD with the sports sub.
    The Irish version does not. Must be they're screwing us in Ireland over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,800 ✭✭✭✭muffler

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/09/sky-sports-channels-to-be-upgraded-to-hd---but-you-ll-have-to-pa/

It has apparently been HD as standard since October 2018 but of course their website is unhelpful.
    Thats UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭lertsnim

pandaa wrote: »
    Thanks. My question was really badly worded

Thanks

Sky Sports would be the best choice for the Premier League as they have more games and the majority of bigger games.

Advertisement