Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floyd Mayweather to fight YouTuber Logan Paul in exhibition fight on February 20

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

walshb wrote: »
    Where have you seen this?

I can't at all see it....

Do you mean that Paul is so bad, or that Floyd showed that he can?

When did Floyd ever go out and really go for broke for a stoppage early?

All his recent fights the past few years has seen him be cautious, defensive, and safety conscious......

The only comparable fight to Paul, is Conor.....and Floyd was not at all showing that he could take Conor in a round...

McGregor had size AND fighting ability (punch mechanics to deliver hurtful shots and conditioning weren't there, but fighting ability was evident).

I'd have the Tenshin fight as being a closer comparison than the mcgregor one,while conceding the very big size difference is a big factor, hence my doubt as to what approach Mayweather will take.

Tenshin could fight (not an excellent boxer but could move, time shots, counter etc) but was undersized and out matched. Paul has size but next to no boxing ability (far inferior to his brother on what we have seen of them both so far).

• Registered Users Posts: 54,538 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    McGregor had size AND fighting ability (punch mechanics to deliver hurtful shots and conditioning weren't there, but fighting ability was evident).

I'd have the Tenshin fight as being a closer comparison than the mcgregor one,while conceding the very big size difference is a big factor, hence my doubt as to what approach Mayweather will take.

Tenshin could fight (not an excellent boxer but could move, time shots, counter etc) but was undersized and out matched. Paul has size but next to no boxing ability (far inferior to his brother on what we have seen of them both so far).

Ok,

But that is one example of Floyd walking down a smaller and weaker man with no power at all to trouble him...is this the evidence you are using?

I can't see this as remotely comparable to Logan Paul....Paul is far bigger a man....

Floyd has not come out and went for a KO in many a fight now....

I cannot recall it recently.....

That is not to say that Floyd won't.....he could catch Paul with a clean and beautiful shot to do real damage.....

I just think this is unlikely...

Ok,

But that is one example of Floyd walking down a smaller and weaker man with no power at all to trouble him...is this the evidence you are using?

I can't see this as remotely comparable to Logan Paul....Paul is far bigger a man....

Floyd has not come out and went for a KO in many a fight now....

I cannot recall it recently.....

That is not to say that Floyd won't.....he could catch Paul with a clean and beautiful shot to do real damage.....

I just think this is unlikely...

Well we do have a small sample from which to draw on, I'm certainly not going to give a novice the respect to be comparing Floyd's fight strategy against the best fighters in the world throughout his pro career to how he may approach a fight against a complete beginner.

We have 2 fights that some comparison can be drawn to, one where he took a safety first approach and one where he blitzed the opponent.

Hence my lack of certainty as to how he will approach this one. Neither approach would surprise me, but I'll certainly be hoping he fights with the level of aggression that the risk merits.

Well we do have a small sample from which to draw on, I'm certainly not going to give a novice the respect to be comparing Floyd's fight strategy against the best fighters in the world throughout his pro career to how he may approach a fight against a complete beginner.

We have 2 fights that some comparison can be drawn to, one where he took a safety first approach and one where he blitzed the opponent.

Hence my lack of certainty as to how he will approach this one. Neither approach would surprise me, but I'll certainly be hoping he fights with the level of aggression that the risk merits.

I get this

And I know the examples are Floyd against real pros vs. Floyd against novices

So far against white collar type novices he is 0-1 as regards blitzing....He was very safety first vs. Conor

I really believe we will see the same against the bigger and heavier and more awkward Logan Paul...

Floyd just does not like, and never really has liked, mixing it in a real aggressive type manner.......unless he knows fully that the foe is of no danger.

Add in now that he is 41-42, and not the same man/boxer as he was years ago....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Anniepowaa

logal paul is a giant compared to mayweather what even is this ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Should be better than both those McKenna brothers the other night anyway.
    One of them was like a donkey fighting a donkey with only 1 leg. The fight got stopped because the Donkey with one leg looked like he might embarrass the golden donkey if it continued.
    The other was fighting a punch bag that had been clearly told not to throw a punch.
    Sure anyone could take their time and pick their punches fighting that.
    As Bruce Lee said. "Boards dont hit back"
    And then at the end little brother says big brother is ready for a world title fight.
    We were in knots laughing the whole way through.

So now to Floyd and whatsisname from youtube. The bar is low now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Who is it embarrassing for? And why would it tarnish his legacy in any way?

You don't think fighting randomers off youtube is beneath someone like Mayweathers stature?

I certainly do - this bullshít is only a small step up from our ethnic brethrens carpark shenanigans.

I'd have zero interest in watching it anyway and anyone who'd actually pay to watch it needs their head examined!

You don't think fighting randomers off youtube is beneath someone like Mayweathers stature?

I certainly do - this bullshít is only a small step up from our ethnic brethrens carpark shenanigans.

I'd have zero interest in watching it anyway and anyone who'd actually pay to watch it needs their head examined!

Agree on the part about paying for it, I definitely think I'd have an element of embarrassment if I paid for it :D

But with regards it being "beneath" Floyd, I don't think anything he does at this point in his career should diminish his legacy, in the same way I don't think any great fighter who fights on too long and loses to fighters who wouldn't have laid a glove on them in their prime should tarnish their legacy.

In fact, if anything I'm a lot happier to see an all time great earning megabucks for low risk exhibitions than seeing them get bashed around by prospects for peanuts.

In a game where dignity is a rare commodity for the elder statesmen, I'd take Floyd's route over the well trodden path of many an aging fighter any day.

In fact, if anything I'm a lot happier to see an all time great earning megabucks for low risk exhibitions than seeing them get bashed around by prospects for peanuts.

In a game where dignity is a rare commodity for the elder statesmen, I'd take Floyd's route over the well trodden path of many an aging fighter any day.

I actually hadn't thought of it that way, you do have a good point!

I suppose you're right, he won the fights he won regardless, and i actually think his reputation for dodging the hard fights is debatable at least, but I don't think there's any danger of him getting hurt here and at this stage of the game why should he take that risk, especially considering it's ended badly for so many others before him.

In reality, i'm probably just jealous. I'll fight that Paul fúcker, no problem:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

This will be an interesting fight Logan Paul was a very good wrestler in high school and is very athletic, huge height and weight difference.

Flyod won't be able to just block shots on his arms/gloves and shoulder roll.

Flyod won't be able to clinch up. He's not gonna walk this guy down unless he gets gassed, and Flyod will never have sparred hard against a guy with this size difference.

The size difference just makes it interesting plus the betting will be insane, worth a tenner

• Advertisement

It’s an arranged exhibition..

Expect all details to be in Mayweather’s favor..

JJayoo wrote: »
    The size difference just makes it interesting plus the betting will be insane, worth a tenner

I don't think so. I think Pauls only real hope would be to catch him with some wild haymaker and although Mayweather is getting on in years he's always been about the best at avoiding being hit. Paul may be big, but size only really becomes an advantage when all else is equal, all else is far from equal here. I'm a good 4 - 5 stone heavier and 5 - 6 inches taller than Mayweather - he'd quite possibly kill me without breaking a sweat!

This is a money grab and nothing more. Mayweather certainly likes his dollars. This is the boxing equivalent of panto!

I don't think so. I think Pauls only real hope would be to catch him with some wild haymaker and although Mayweather is getting on in years he's always been about the best at avoiding being hit. Paul may be big, but size only really becomes an advantage when all else is equal, all else is far from equal here. I'm a good 4 - 5 stone heavier and 5 - 6 inches taller than Mayweather - he'd quite possibly kill me without breaking a sweat!

This is a money grab and nothing more. Mayweather certainly likes his dollars. This is the boxing equivalent of panto!

Paul, at least will be training and will have a decent cardio engine....this is key for him here

He is not a boxer, so won't have the real experienced skills to compete...

But his youth, size, overall awkwardness, and I assume decent fitness will mean that Floyd will very unlikely be able to just go in and dominate here...

A Canelo or some other type boxer would be able to blast Paul out quite quickly...

A 42 year old career defensive fighter like Floyd, who is now past his best days, won't be doing anything to put him in the firing line too much...

Anyway, as I said.....this will be choreographed and arranged to suit Floyd...or make it as comfy as possible for him...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Eh I think you're all forgetting that Floyd once knocked out the Big Show who is 7ft and 400lbs.

The man clearly punches harder than Tyson!

This is a farce, and Jake calling out Conor is another farce.

Will depend on weight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

A friend and rugby team mate, big guy, 15 stone or so and fit, also did a bit of amateur boxing and was quite decent at it and had a good record. He set up a white collar fundraiser for club and was miles ahead of us skillwise so they got a guy from boxing club to fight him on the night. He boxed at Olympic level for Bulgaria I believe it was.

He was much smaller by 30kgs or more but the bigger lad couldn't get a shot in at all. Ridiculous skill level difference.

My friend might not have been as good as Logan Paul but the bulgarian was certainly no Mayweather. This is a circus. A show. A YouTube event. Not a sporting contest.

I really cant believe anyone is actually contemplating this being anything but a breeze for Mayweather.
    Mayweather will have more trouble trying to keep Logan in the fight for a few rounds so the crowd doesnt start booing at the lack of a fight.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I really cant believe anyone is actually contemplating this being anything but a breeze for Mayweather.
    Mayweather will have more trouble trying to keep Logan in the fight for a few rounds so the crowd doesnt start booing at the lack of a fight.

Visually it won't be a breeze

Now, folks can claim that Floyd was messing or carrying, if this is the case, but wait for it.....Floyd will not look at all clearly dominant here....

Floyd is 42....the other lad is far younger, far bigger, far heavier

Of course, we know he is not a pro boxer....but for this "exhibition" against a man like Floyd (physical traits and age traits and safety first traits), expect Floyd to struggle and look desperately ineffective for large parts of it...

3 years ago he looked desperately ineffective against a woeful novice, McGregor...

Visually it won't be a breeze

Now, folks can claim that Floyd was messing or carrying, if this is the case, but wait for it.....Floyd will not look at all clearly dominant here....

Floyd is 42....the other lad is far younger, far bigger, far heavier

Of course, we know he is not a pro boxer....but for this "exhibition" against a man like Floyd (physical traits and age traits and safety first traits), expect Floyd to struggle and look desperately ineffective for large parts of it...

3 years ago he looked desperately ineffective against a woeful novice, McGregor...

:)
    You are on a wind up right :)

I would be very confident that ANY professional boxer, male or female would win that fight. Never mind one of the best ever.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    :)
    You are on a wind up right :)

I would be very confident that ANY professional boxer, male or female would win that fight. Never mind one of the best ever.

Why would I be on a wind up?

For the record: Logan is not a boxer. Not near pro level....not close

I am saying that when they meet, do not expect 42 year old brittle hands safety first Mayweather to go in there and easily dismantle a man 25 kgs heavier and 6 inches taller...It won't happen....

Watch Floyd against McGregor....he was desperate.....

That was 3 years ago.....

Any decent pro boxer (remotely close to his size) easily takes out Paul with skills and experience....

Female boxers? Which ones?

They are females, so not near the power/strength level of men.....

Some these female boxers are terrible. Absolute terrible....

I am not saying Floyd doesn't win, if it is for decision...e very likely does....

I am saying that if all is above board, expect him NOT to look effortless and not to absolutely dominate with any ease....

If it was Canelo or GGG or Spence or Beterbiev or any other active pro boxer who can fight agressive, Paul is out of there inside a round.....

So, let's not make out I am in any way saying Logan Paul is good....he is not...

• Advertisement

I wonder have these two ever met before and had a picture taken would be interesting to see the size difference.

If there was no size difference there would be nothing interesting about this fight

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

I'll watch this. Bitta craic is all it is.

Advertisement