Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binoculars

• 06-12-2020 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭

Hi

May not be the right forum but will chance my arm anyway. I sometime need to count cattle in a field that is roughly 600 metres away.

High level (without getting too technical, ;)) - what would be the best type to get. 12 x 42....... 8 x 60 etc.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Drewgerger

Put up a battery security camera

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭JP22

If you have somewhere to set it up, Lidl have a cheap (€25) spotting scope in on Thur 10th Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

8x50 should do for counting cattle. 12 x42 will lose light faster and they'd be real hard to use comfortably. Both hard on the eye and on the wrist.

8x60 will let you see in the dusk. And they'll be steady enough to hold free handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭obi604

JP22 wrote: »
    If you have somewhere to set it up, Lidl have a cheap (€25) spotting scope in on Thur 10th Dec.

Thanks. But no real place to set it up.

Lidl have these now - would these be ok for my needs?

Binoculars https://www.lidl.ie/p/p55942?productId=55942&countryCode=IE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Rosahane

obi604 wrote: »

They will if you can leave them permanently somewhere safe like a windowsill. The focus mechanism is a bit fragile and wobbly but the optics aren’t too bad. Not bad for the price and might be ok for your needs.

• Advertisement

Rosahane wrote: »
    They will if you can leave them permanently somewhere safe like a windowsill. The focus mechanism is a bit fragile and wobbly but the optics aren’t too bad. Not bad for the price and might be ok for your needs.

Thanks. May well go with these 8x60.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Thanks. May well go with these 8x60.

You might be better with 10 magnification but the 8 x 60 will be good in low light which might be a factor for you. You will still be well able to see cattle even at that distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

JP22 wrote: »

Great value, used one on the range for years, gave it all sorts of abuse and its still fine, all for 25 squid, how can you go wrong ?

Any more comments before I pull the trigger later ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Any more comments before I pull the trigger later ;)

How far wrong can you go for 25 quid ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Have these. You can't go wrong for the price but they are crap.

Forget the zoom just use them at the lower magnification which is still good enough and then they are fine. Once you start to use the full magnification you start to see how bad they really are.

Also at full magnification they are too powerful to hold on your subject easily. A big magnification amplifies your movement more. 10 x is about as powerful as you can go without having to prop the bins on something.

The ones in Lidl have a tripod mounting point (take that cap off at the end of the focusing ring) so give them a try and perhaps get a tripod later if needed.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭JP22

I see Aldi have a set next week on a tripod, thirty odd bucks.

No idea how good they are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

8x42 binos would be perfect. Not trying to find bullet holes. Vortex have a good selection. Buy once and if the tractor rolls over them you get a new set....
    John Lambert, Dom Byrne have them in stock.
    edi

ejg wrote: »
    8x42 binos would be perfect. Not trying to find bullet holes. Vortex have a good selection. Buy once and if the tractor rolls over them you get a new set....
    John Lambert, Dom Byrne have them in stock.
    edi

How much would these be? (Ballpark)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I thought of Vortex Crossfire around 170,- Euro or the Diamondback HD around 270,- Euro.
    edi

Bought the 8x60’s and they are grand.

For the general use binocular user with no very specific use (father in law), what would be the best type to get. I.e. easy on the eye and wrist.

Advertisement