Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When will kids be allowed play matches again?

• 02-12-2020 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭

So it looks like we'll be yo yoing from level 3 to level 5 for the foreseeable future. Cinemas and restaurants and schools are open yet kids can't play football matches outside. Havnt heard a peep from the GAA about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

arctictree wrote: »
    So it looks like we'll be yo yoing from level 3 to level 5 for the foreseeable future. Cinemas and restaurants and schools are open yet kids can't play football matches outside. Havnt heard a peep from the GAA about this.

The FAI had kids matches planned for this weekend and had to cancel them. They were expecting we would be in Level 2.

Usually, juvenile games wouldn't be played around now so you may not hear about it from the GAA until February/March.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I would imagine late February at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Cavan_King wrote: »
    The FAI had kids matches planned for this weekend and had to cancel them. They were expecting we would be in Level 2.

Usually, juvenile games wouldn't be played around now so you may not hear about it from the GAA until February/March.

Yep, we had all our semi finals and finals cancelled in October. So the county board moved them to December. So that is cancelled now. I just find it very strange that cinemas and restaurants are allowed open. I thought covid was mainly an indoor thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Yep, we had all our semi finals and finals cancelled in October. So the county board moved them to December. So that is cancelled now. I just find it very strange that cinemas and restaurants are allowed open. I thought covid was mainly an indoor thing....

Think with matches it is more the parents gathering and huddling together.

Our u16 girls have been training right through since level 3 was implemented in the hope that their final would be held. More than likely it never will be now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

My own view is that the GAA has done extraordinarily well out of this comparatively, and I say that as a regular GAA mentor. Training has continued at underage, weekend games can be replaced by training sessions. The kids are either out playing, or they're not. And in the case of the GAA, they've been out playing.

Other sports have been shut down for ages. My daughters do gymnastics, its been gone for 9 months except zoom sessions. Swimming completely gone also.

The GAA has been able to do 3 sessions a week, and kept it going (thanks to volunteer mentors) all through summer. That would mean that my kids have been able to circa 100 GAA sessions in the past nine months, and in the same space of time been able to NIL gymnastics and NIL swimming.

We can all go down the road of "I just dont see why X and Y is happening, and yet people cant do Z". That can apply to a million and one scenarios.

One extreme example, that I'd have real sympathy for - is basketball kids saying they just cant see why they are not allowed pass the ball to one another, when the kids down the road at the gaa club can pass the ball to one another.

I wont use the word lenient, but I do feel the GAA has been the least affected of all sports by the restrictions that have come in.

I could certainly see why other sports might feel the GAA has been treated favourably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Think with matches it is more the parents gathering and huddling together.

Our u16 girls have been training right through since level 3 was implemented in the hope that their final would be held. More than likely it never will be now.

At least they won't join the thousands of other teenagers who have been cut down by this dreadful plague...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

I see the minor inter-county is back on this weekend. I'm getting confused with these covid levels!

Advertisement