Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

What will become vintage in 2021?

  • 02-12-2020 4:52pm
    #1
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    This time of year again. Always one of my favourite threads. So which cars became available in RHD in 1991 so will make it to vintage status and €56 motor tax next year?

    I'll get the ball rolling:

    BMW 8-series? Started production in 1990, but at a guess you won't find a RHD until 1991

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 17,907 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    There's a lot of interesting stuff coming late this year and early next, especially if you're into japanese stuff - which I'm not really with some notable exceptions. I'm waiting on 1992 for the original Carina E (mine is a JDM 1994 Corona, in storage currently).

    For '21 it was the first proper year of production for the Z32 300ZX outside of JDM, afaik, a favorite of mine - having owned an '89 that is now in the hands of another boardsie.

    On the US side of things, there isnt really anything of interest to me specific to '21 - except maybe the first turbo diesel variants of the 7.3 IDI diesels in the ford pickups. The most interesting upcoming US spec stuff is in '24 with the new 94 designed Dodge Ram with either the 5.9 6bt cummins or the 8.0 V10 gasser.

    Not really into european cars that much beyond bimmers. I'd love an 850i and nearly bought that red 1995 RN reg one that was for sale for ages, but they are going up in price now. I'd be waiting for an early e38 750il or an e34 524td though, if I were to buy a classic bimmer, and the former is a couple of years away yet too, 1996.


  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭ supervento


    unkel wrote: »
    This time of year again. Always one of my favourite threads. So which cars became available in RHD in 1991 so will make it to vintage status and €56 motor tax next year?

    I'll get the ball rolling:

    BMW 8-series? Started production in 1990, but at a guess you won't find a RHD until 1991

    There was a 1990 white 8 series for 20k sterling advertised recently in the Uk

    The W140 S class was 1991 I think, would love a big one of them...


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭ TheW1zard


    Lexus Soarer :-)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭ Lurching


    E36 3 series.
    Don't think we had any '90's here. Probably late '91.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭ w124man


    And there'll be fellas putting ZV plates on them!! *ankers!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 ✭✭✭ andrew1300r


    1990's SL 500 Merc's will be more popular ...great V8 engine with proper performance out of them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭ deckie27


    My 91 passat. :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭ RobAMerc


    MR2 mk2 ?

    Also the Porsche 968 was introduced in 1991 ( AFAIK ) - something I would like


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    Didn't think of the 968, although not sure if there are RHD ones from '91. Beauty of a car.

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ commited


    unkel wrote: »
    This time of year again. Always one of my favourite threads. So which cars became available in RHD in 1991 so will make it to vintage status and €56 motor tax next year?

    I'll get the ball rolling:

    BMW 8-series? Started production in 1990, but at a guess you won't find a RHD until 1991

    Great minds think alike! An 8 series has been a dream car of mine since I first saw one at Terenure Classic car show in the early 90s.

    A chance conversation with a pal of mine reminded me that I needed to get on the hunt and after a few months and a few failed purchases, I found VIN #089 in the UK, first reg'd December '90 so a very early RHD 850i auto indeed! Got it imported into the state this side of Brexit and VRT is next week! Managed to do quite a bit of work to it over the last few weeks but a few bits left left to do including paint (obviously) but its remarkably solid having had quite a bit of time and money spent on it already. Hoping to have it all buttoned up by summer and try and get to at least 1 cars&coffee/show.

    My daughter jumped in it as soon as it arrived so her mum couldn't give out too much ;)
    rYwX5UZ.jpg


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    That is gorgeous! The V12 and all, the smoothest engine possible, two straight sixes that balance each other out. Well wear. I'm not just a bit jealous. My daughters don't like classic cars :D

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ commited


    unkel wrote: »
    That is gorgeous! The V12 and all, the smoothest engine possible, two straight sixes that balance each other out. Well wear. I'm not just a bit jealous. My daughters don't like classic cars :D

    Thanks! She's not 2 yet so she mostly just likes causing mayhem wherever she can :D I'm pretty gutted that the reg will be the horrible 90 D 120xxx but I'm not putting it on a ZV as that's just wrong!


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ SCOOP 64


    My 98 Astra G


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭ Max Headroom


    Me..............................:o


  • Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    unkel wrote: »
    ........ So which cars became available in RHD in 1991 so will make it to vintage status and €56 motor tax next year?
    ......
    SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    My 98 Astra G

    :confused:


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭ gipi


    Aren't all the Nissan Figaros 1991 registrations? It's their time to turn vintage!


  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Mooretaxi


    commited wrote: »
    Great minds think alike! An 8 series has been a dream car of mine since I first saw one at Terenure Classic car show in the early 90s.

    A chance conversation with a pal of mine reminded me that I needed to get on the hunt and after a few months and a few failed purchases, I found VIN #089 in the UK, first reg'd December '90 so a very early RHD 850i auto indeed! Got it imported into the state this side of Brexit and VRT is next week! Managed to do quite a bit of work to it over the last few weeks but a few bits left left to do including paint (obviously) but its remarkably solid having had quite a bit of time and money spent on it already. Hoping to have it all buttoned up by summer and try and get to at least 1 cars&coffee/show.

    My daughter jumped in it as soon as it arrived so her mum couldn't give out too much ;)
    rYwX5UZ.jpg

    M539 restorations channel on YouTube has lots of BMW content you might be interested in
    Can't figure out how to link to it im afraid


  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ slipperyox


    front ends that aren't pedestrian friendly, always look so good!


Advertisement