Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Parking for a commuter to Dublin Airport

• 30-11-2020 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ SteadyNed

I've a contract coming up in the new year, with the office on the grounds of Dublin Airport. As far as I know, I won't have access to any free parking as part of the role.

As far as I can see, my options are either to park in the short term carparks for €25+ per day or at the long-term or hotel carparks for €9+ per day.

Anyone aware of any other options? If needs be, I could park up to 5k away and stick the bike in the boot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭ Losty Dublin

Aircoach and Dublin Bus serve the airport 24 hours a day, so they may help you here if you are on shifts or unsocial hours. Aircoach certainly used to offer a discount for airport staff on production of work ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭ Xterminator

can you not use public transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ SteadyNed

can you not use public transport?

Not really - I've a heck of a commute, >1.5 hours, and timetables (incl. Aircoach) don't really align with office hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,140 ✭✭✭✭ is_that_so

SteadyNed wrote: »
    Not really - I've a heck of a commute, >1.5 hours, and timetables (incl. Aircoach) don't really align with office hours.
    Drive to free Whitehall Park and Ride then bus out to airport? Think 41 is 24 hours or as you said on your bike!

is_that_so wrote: »
    Drive to free Whitehall Park and Ride then bus out to airport? Think 41 is 24 hours or as you said on your bike!

I'd be coming from the north of the city - Whitehall might be too far out of the way, sorry!

I wonder would there be any problem if I were to park in Airside retail park for the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,752 ✭✭✭✭ Wishbone Ash

...I wonder would there be any problem if I were to park in Airside retail park for the day?
    Yes, you're almost sure to be clamped. They are very strict there as people have been using it as a long term car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭ Vic_08

Ask your employer about staff parking, they may not have space on their property but you might be able to use the main staff car park.

Yes, you're almost sure to be clamped. They are very strict there as people have been using it as a long term car park.

Yeah that would've been too good to be true

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Ask your employer about staff parking, they may not have space on their property but you might be able to use the main staff car park.

Yeah I'll have another word - but it's 95% certain that I'll have as much access as the general public

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭ howardmarks

I solved this problem by getting a motorbike.
    Not for everyone of course.
    But at parking e125 per week X 48 weeks the cost of a starter bike, licence and gear would be covered in 1 year and you would have a motorbike.
    Parking is free in parts of the terminal as long as you don't take up a car space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ Def_IRL

I've a contract coming up in the new year, with the office on the grounds of Dublin Airport. As far as I know, I won't have access to any free parking as part of the role.

As far as I can see, my options are either to park in the short term carparks for €25+ per day or at the long-term or hotel carparks for €9+ per day.

Anyone aware of any other options? If needs be, I could park up to 5k away and stick the bike in the boot.

ESB international staff, based in the old refurbished Aer Lingus HoB get staff parking onsite within tbe ground level car park outside HoB. The brand new Dublin Airport central buildings staff may get an option of staff parking across the road from Kealeys within the Red Car park where most airport staff oark these days, it maybe at a small charge per month, or free, depending if your employer picks up the tab with daa. The likes of Ryanair pass the parking charges back onto their staff at about €30 per month,,( from memory, but that may not still be the case)
    DAC staff based in the new offices (Kellogg's, Boeing, etc) can also ask for a DAC staff card, just show it on the aircoach, airlink, etc and you get discounted fares.

See:
    https://www.dublinairportcentral.com/our-location/transport-links

But at parking e125 per week X 48 weeks the cost of a starter bike, licence and gear would be covered in 1 year and you would have a motorbike.
    Parking is free in parts of the terminal as long as you don't take up a car space.

The thought had crossed my mind - but 3+ hrs a day on a bike aint gonna happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭ howardmarks

The thought had crossed my mind - but 3+ hrs a day on a bike aint gonna happen!

You must be doing some distance? If you are comparing the drive time to a car a bike will generally be quicker with filtering and less time spent sitting in traffic.
    Outside peak traffic times it would probably be comparable time wise.

You must be doing some distance? If you are comparing the drive time to a car a bike will generally be quicker with filtering and less time spent sitting in traffic.
    Outside peak traffic times it would probably be comparable time wise.

Yeah I'm commuting from Belfast, but it's a short term gig so doable without losing the will to live (I hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭ kravmaga

I'd be coming from the north of the city - Whitehall might be too far out of the way, sorry!

I wonder would there be any problem if I were to park in Airside retail park for the day?

They do clamp up in Airside Retail park, Ive seen many a car clamped over the years.
    They have parking attendants checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭ circadian

Depending on what time you're arriving in at, Whitehall Park and ride could be a good shout since it's at the end of the M1/N1 and slightly more than a 5km cycle to the airport, also with a few buses going that way.

If you're willing to consider using Airside then to me anyway, Whitehall offers a similar commute.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 61,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011

I'd contact the hotels and ask about block buying parking,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭ bikeman1

Park somewhere in Swords that’s free and close to the 41. Obviously not directly outside someone’s house and mix it up a bit between places.

The 41 is 24 hours. The free parking at Whitehall would be easily accessible straight in on the M1 and then the 41 for €2.25 on the leap card straight out to the airport in 15 minutes?

But at parking e125 per week ...
    Where are you getting the €125 per week? The long term is €9 per day so assuming a 5 day week it's €45.

bikeman1 wrote: »
    .... The free parking at Whitehall would be easily accessible straight in on the M1 and then the 41 for €2.25 on the leap card straight out to the airport in 15 minutes?
    €2.25 x 2 x 5 =€22.50 per week to park several kilometers away and get a bus etc. I'd rather pay another €22.50 per week and park in the long term car park. (For the price difference of 4 pints per week).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ Oscar Madison

Yeah I'm commuting from Belfast, but it's a short term gig so doable without losing the will to live (I hope)

Surely Ulster Bus or Translink have a service to suit?

Surely Ulster Bus or Translink have a service to suit?

Yeah it's a possibility, but with Bus Eireann restricting services it limits things significantly.

Only viable option is for me to drive to Newry for the 7:10, arrive to the Airport at 08:15 and cheekily finish up work at around 16:25 for the 16:35 return.

I could mix and match Aircoach and the Translink service, but parking in Belfast city centre is nearly more of a hassle and expensive than at Dub Airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,790 ✭✭✭✭ ted1

My office is in the airport grounds. I usually cycle the 60km round trip as its faster than driving (the M50 is a nightmare) or taking public transport.

Anyway Quick park offers staff rates, its 5 euro for the day for airport staff, just pay in the little house, and show your work Id. you can walk to the airport in 18 minutes or get the shuttle bus,

or the coachman's pub also do a weekly rate ( I think its 25 euro)and its a short walk

ted1 wrote: »
    My office is in the airport grounds. I usually cycle the 60km round trip as its faster than driving (the M50 is a nightmare) or taking public transport.

Anyway Quick park offers staff rates, its 5 euro for the day for airport staff, just pay in the little house, and show your work Id. you can walk to the airport in 18 minutes or get the shuttle bus,

or the coachman's pub also do a weekly rate ( I think its 25 euro)and its a short walk

That’s brilliant, thanks!

Advertisement