Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas dinner made easy??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Was just putting the turkey in the oven earlier on, and ... the oven door fell off!!! Managed to reattach it, but it's pretty fragile so had to be really careful opening and closing it while checking on the turkey and roasties. Managed it in the end, but I didn't need that extra stress on top of the usual amount. Glad it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

That would be stressful! Not what you want on Christmas day with a turkey needing cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

phormium wrote: »
    That would be stressful! Not what you want on Christmas day with a turkey needing cooking.
    Indeed! I'll have a go at fixing it properly tomorrow when there isn't so much pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

Hams cooked since yesterday, glazed today. Stuffings/cranberry sauce all made weeks ago and now defrosting, my bread sauce though has gone awol in freezer, I cannot find it! One more look in the morning and if no luck then I'll have to make more :(

Made trifles today, cooked prawns/salmon for starter, pate for the non fish eater, mayonnaise made so just need to convert some to pink sauce tomorrow. Veg prepped so just throw turkey in the oven in the morning and do veg. Stock for gravy ready to go with whatever extra juices I get from the turkey.

I have never cooked a Christmas dinner for so few, I have 4, down from the usual of between 13/20, I actually think I probably have enough food for 3 times the number I'm having but will send some home with guests and freeze some leftovers.

aha bread sauce? funny you mention it... i am not from Cork but here for xmas dinner this year... but searched 3 supermarkets and none of them had any... then got to thinking - maybe its not a Cork thing.. asked a few of my Cork buddies and they had never heard of it... turns out its more of a Northern thing (stemming from the Brits) - where are you from? Where I am from we always have it with Turkey...

BTW all our cooked stuffed Turkey and Ham portions worked out fabulous from our butcher.. twas the jwab for us (I love eating - cooking, not so much).. we did all the rest ourselves though... the roasted carrots and parsnips turned out fab too... round 2 tonight..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sporina wrote: »
    aha bread sauce? funny you mention it... i am not from Cork but here for xmas dinner this year... but searched 3 supermarkets and none of them had any... then got to thinking - maybe its not a Cork thing.. asked a few of my Cork buddies and they had never heard of it... turns out its more of a Northern thing (stemming from the Brits) - where are you from? Where I am from we always have it with Turkey...

BTW all our cooked stuffed Turkey and Ham portions worked out fabulous from our butcher.. twas the jwab for us (I love eating - cooking, not so much).. we did all the rest ourselves though... the roasted carrots and parsnips turned out fab too... round 2 tonight..

From Cork and while I've heard of bread sauce, I've never had it.

• Advertisement

From Cork and while I've heard of bread sauce, I've never had it.

i can live without it but my +1 loves it - its more the nostalgia of it all though really - we did dinner like we would at home - melon then soup then dinner then desert.. traditional but full of loving memories.. hope we get to do it for real next year

I'm from Kerry and we have always had bread sauce, I've never bought it though although have seen packets of it in shops where the packs of dried white sauce/soup sort of stuff is.

It never showed up despite another more intensive search but luckily I had some breadcrumbs in the freezer so had to make a fresh batch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Here in Dublin we always had bread sauce at Christmas. I'm the only one who likes it here though so I don't bother because there's gravy and also white sauce because one daughter's OH loves it with ham.
    My brother's family in the US have bread sauce shipped out for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

It's so easy to make with fairly standard ingredients I can't imagine having to have it shipped anywhere!, the cloves being the only thing someone might not have in the house but so easily got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

fineso.mom wrote: »
    Sounds lovely, I hope you have a lovely day. I'm just putting ham on now, have a lovely small stuffed turkey breast to go with it tomorrow and most veg prepped. Just me and one son tomorrow, so it should be a lovely quiet food filled day.

It was fab, both today and yesterday. At least two more days in it

• Advertisement

dinner was even nicer today - same every year... less stress on Stephen's day.. gonna do something Thai tomorrow - just to break it up... turkey and ham in the freezer for New Years day though... Happy Christmas everyone... although we cheated this time... we might get a turkey crown early in the NY - cos why not xxx

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's so easy to make with fairly standard ingredients I can't imagine having to have it shipped anywhere!, the cloves being the only thing someone might not have in the house but so easily got.

I know, but they were raised on Knorr packet sauce and it just tastes like home to them.

Advertisement