Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)

Christmas dinner made easy??

  • 29-11-2020 9:28pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭ sporina


    Hi Guys, looking for your expert advice.

    We are stranded on our own for Christmas - so 1st time for us doing Christmas dinner.. small kitchen - I don't like cooking much - but love to eat.

    So, where can we get a rolled and boned turkey crown/half or what ever? And a bacon or ham that we could cook easily?
    Looking for suggestions - basically we don't want a whole turkey... not sure about the bacon/ham.. something easily cooked but that will be nice at the same time..

    We are ok with the starters, sides and deserts.

    Thanks a mill in advance x


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭ odyssey06


    Not sure how many people you are cooking for...

    The easiest option would be the turkey+ham ready meals you see in LIDL ALDI Tesco that you just need to pop into the microwave for 5 minutes.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=288835527

    Another easy option would be something like the below turkey+ham+stuffing meal from Tesco that is oven ready.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=304076168

    Or supervalu have this basted turkey joint with stuffing option.
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/product/1575607000

    And this is a frozen option from Tesco of turkey, gammon and stuffing - these can be a little dry I find though.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=297103228

    "To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)



  • Registered Users Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭ sporina


    odyssey06 wrote: »
    Not sure how many people you are cooking for...

    The easiest option would be the turkey+ham ready meals you see in LIDL ALDI Tesco that you just need to pop into the microwave for 5 minutes.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=288835527

    Another easy option would be something like the below turkey+ham+stuffing meal from Tesco that is oven ready.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=304076168

    Or supervalu have this basted turkey joint with stuffing option.
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/product/1575607000

    And this is a frozen option from Tesco of turkey, gammon and stuffing - these can be a little dry I find though.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=297103228

    thanks - its just the two of us...

    will look into those - but don't want frozen - fresh as possible


  • Registered Users Posts: 32,636 ✭✭✭✭ Graces7


    I eat the turkey and ham ready meals on a regular basis but would not use them for Christmas. Very.. ordinary

    Have a look to see if Wiltshire foods serve your area? They look really festive. They are UK but in some areas here .

    Or as someone suggested on a covid thread. maybe a local hotel or takeaway?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭ SeaFields


    Some of our local butchers offer the ham cooked and sliced. Would that be an option? It could be worth checking out locally. All ye would have to do it is serve it up! Works very well for us.


  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭ Telly


    Loads of butchers around our way do a portion of turkey, ham and stuffing and you just finish it in the oven so ask your butchers if they do something like this.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭ Wildsurfer


    SeaFields wrote: »
    Some of our local butchers offer the ham cooked and sliced. Would that be an option? It could be worth checking out locally. All ye would have to do it is serve it up! Works very well for us.

    +1. A good local butcher will provide you with what you require. I'm pretty sure anyone can cook a boned rolled Turkey and a small ham. I'm shocked that someone would advise microwaving a ready meal for Christmas dinner, what a depressing thought!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭ ellejay


    sporina wrote: »
    Hi Guys, looking for your expert advice.

    We are stranded on our own for Christmas - so 1st time for us doing Christmas dinner.. small kitchen - I don't like cooking much - but love to eat.

    So, where can we get a rolled and boned turkey crown/half or what ever? And a bacon or ham that we could cook easily?
    Looking for suggestions - basically we don't want a whole turkey... not sure about the bacon/ham.. something easily cooked but that will be nice at the same time..

    We are ok with the starters, sides and deserts.

    Thanks a mill in advance x

    You can get a crown of turkey in most supermarkets or you could order from a butchers.
    A chicken is lovely alternative.

    If you're looking to minimise work and just eat on Christmas Day, cook your Ham and Turkey a day to two before.
    Slice your Turkey & Ham and make up tin foil parcels and place in the fridge.
    First the Ham, then the Stuffing, topped with the Turkey.
    Bring up to room temperature before heating in oven or steamer.
    Add a little water to the package before reheating.

    For a Ham you can get a nice little Ham Fillet weighing from 500g upwards, plenty for the two of you for one meal.
    Tesco and Supervalu often have these in a 3 for ten offer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ Ish66


    I have used this video for the last few years, I live alone.
    Just leave out anything you dont like and add more of the stuff you do. It always worked out so perfect. Have a lovely xmas dinner !



  • Registered Users Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭ sporina


    great info there.. thanks for all the replies.. will check out some of the local butchers.. if not, lots of other options in the thread..

    thanks again and Happy Christmas :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 32,636 ✭✭✭✭ Graces7


    Wildsurfer wrote: »
    +1. A good local butcher will provide you with what you require. I'm pretty sure anyone can cook a boned rolled Turkey and a small ham. I'm shocked that someone would advise microwaving a ready meal for Christmas dinner, what a depressing thought!

    I agree... I do that often for Sunday dinner as I am on my own but not for Christmas! I get a small turkey and just use the breasts for my meal . and the eg Supervalu etc have turkey joints etc.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,598 ✭✭✭✭ the beer revolu


    Very little Christmas cooking chat this year.
    I guess people are doing it differently this year.
    Still, it would be nice to hear what people are doing.

    I'm really organised today!
    Had the ham (boned this year - whole ham, smoked) brought to a simmer by 9 this morning while I went out and got some cheese, prawns and bits of veg. I'll have the ham glazed by lunchtime! Spiced beef is on as I type and I have my spiced red cabbage on.
    The prawns are cooked and Mrs Beer will peel them for me today. Will serve them with avocado and preserved lemon and a tomato and basil salsa.
    I have my stock already made and reduced for the gravy.

    So, tomorrow.
    Combine avocado with the preserved lemon, peel and deseed a few tomatoes and mix with onion, olive oil and basil and plate up the prawns.
    Dinner will consist of just roasting the turkey leg (already boned, stuffed and rolled) and some roast veg and spuds, making gravy and slicing meat.
    Just 4 of us for dinner.

    Funny thing, despite there being prawns, ham, spiced beef and stuffed turkey leg on the menu, my mother made it known that she was unimpressed with there not being turkey breast meat!
    I've arranged for a few slices from my sister's house.

    There will also be Christmas pudding (made by my sister).

    I'm must say, I'm looking forward to doing Christmas dinner for a small number.

    Download Brave browser, it gets rid of the ads. #saveboards



  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 63,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011


    We were meant to go to the inlaws this year, but 11 people from 6 households would have been taking the piss; so we're staying local. Splitting the dinner in to two houses (for all of 6 people - 3 & 3) as the kitchen in one would be busy dealing with meat and vegeterian mains, multiple types of spuds, multiple veg preferences, multiple sauces etc etc.

    Ham is on, its nearly at its 20mins-per-450g boil time but is still only high 50s inside so will need longer - thank science for accurate thermometers! Doing the ham here and sending slices over to the other house; doing a turkey breast here and there's a crown in the other house.

    I've cheated more than I ever normally would this year, I've even bought shop stuffing - made this morning allegedly - and gone entirely for pre-made deserts. Last year before we do a minor kitchen refurb and I get better ovens, so whenever I'm next hosting for a bigger number I'll be doing as much as possible myself.


  • Registered Users Posts: 32,636 ✭✭✭✭ Graces7


    I do most of the work on Christmas Eve... Potatoes, parsnips and carrots parboiled and ready to roast. Stuffing made. Supervalu sent a turkey breast roast on the bone. I boned it out and made the halves into my usual " turkey breast sandwich" ie filled with cranberry sauce and sage and onion stuffing. All wrapped in foil until the last while

    Al I have to do tomorrow is fill the oven and cook the sprouts. I even made the gravy. More enjoyable this way.


  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭ Rustyman101


    Graces7 wrote: »
    I do most of the work on Christmas Eve... Potatoes, parsnips and carrots parboiled and ready to roast. Stuffing made. Supervalu sent a turkey breast roast on the bone. I boned it out and made the halves into my usual " turkey breast sandwich" ie filled with cranberry sauce and sage and onion stuffing. All wrapped in foil until the last while

    Al I have to do tomorrow is fill the oven and cook the sprouts. I even made the gravy. More enjoyable this way.
    hope you enjoy !


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭ em_cat


    Brisket, marinating since yesterday, the ham deboned & glaze made up ready to pop in the oven, carrots & a spiced butternut sweet potato mash ready to be roasted and the potatoes will be prepped tomorrow. We have green beans instead of Brussel sprouts. I made a rum spiced ginger cake and the molasses biscuits yesterday.

    TBH I woke up & was a bit lost as I’m never this well prepped, not to mention my OH got me some Makers Mark Bourbon, so we had a few whiskey sours last night so was thankful that I didn’t have much to do.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭ nothing


    Everything cooked today - goose, veggies, potatoes and stuffing. Tomorrow will reheat in the oven with some frozen yorkshire puds and do some bisto gravy. Just me, so will probably be eating same for a week!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭ fineso.mom


    nothing wrote: »
    Everything cooked today - goose, veggies, potatoes and stuffing. Tomorrow will reheat in the oven with some frozen yorkshire puds and do some bisto gravy. Just me, so will probably be eating same for a week!

    Sounds lovely, I hope you have a lovely day. I'm just putting ham on now, have a lovely small stuffed turkey breast to go with it tomorrow and most veg prepped. Just me and one son tomorrow, so it should be a lovely quiet food filled day.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭ phormium


    Hams cooked since yesterday, glazed today. Stuffings/cranberry sauce all made weeks ago and now defrosting, my bread sauce though has gone awol in freezer, I cannot find it! One more look in the morning and if no luck then I'll have to make more :(

    Made trifles today, cooked prawns/salmon for starter, pate for the non fish eater, mayonnaise made so just need to convert some to pink sauce tomorrow. Veg prepped so just throw turkey in the oven in the morning and do veg. Stock for gravy ready to go with whatever extra juices I get from the turkey.

    I have never cooked a Christmas dinner for so few, I have 4, down from the usual of between 13/20, I actually think I probably have enough food for 3 times the number I'm having but will send some home with guests and freeze some leftovers.


  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ HeyV


    Graces7 wrote: »
    I do most of the work on Christmas Eve... Potatoes, parsnips and carrots parboiled and ready to roast. Stuffing made. Supervalu sent a turkey breast roast on the bone. I boned it out and made the halves into my usual " turkey breast sandwich" ie filled with cranberry sauce and sage and onion stuffing. All wrapped in foil until the last while

    Al I have to do tomorrow is fill the oven and cook the sprouts. I even made the gravy. More enjoyable this way.

    That sounds yummy Graces7... you’re making me hungry here!!


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Tree


    Cooked a small ham today. Dug sausage meat out of the freezer.

    Tomorrow will be roasting a Quorn roast, roast potatoes, croquettes, sausage stuffing, bread stuffing.
    Boiling up some mushy peas and some carrots, maybe green beans.
    Making some vegetarian gravy (bisto, marmite, onions, pepper, hint of sage, maybe some butter...).
    (one veggie, one pork lover in our house).

    Not too much overall effort, mostly it's stirring and putting things in the oven.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭ 4Ad


    Tree wrote: »
    Cooked a small ham today. Dug sausage meat out of the freezer.

    Tomorrow will be roasting a Quorn roast, roast potatoes, croquettes, sausage stuffing, bread stuffing.
    Boiling up some mushy peas and some carrots, maybe green beans.
    Making some vegetarian gravy (bisto, marmite, onions, pepper, hint of sage, maybe some butter...).
    (one veggie, one pork lover in our house).

    Not too much overall effort, mostly it's stirring and putting things in the oven.

    That sounds lovely !! Put some lemon and BBQ sauce into the gravy !! Yum


  • Registered Users Posts: 32,636 ✭✭✭✭ Graces7


    HeyV wrote: »
    That sounds yummy Graces7... you’re making me hungry here!!

    lol... I cannot be on my feet for long at a time so this way I can enjoy it. Many of us with CFS/ME find that by the time we have cooked a meal we are too exhausted to eat it...

    I revel in Christmas dinner! And there is enough to plate and freeze.. You would be very welcome, but no ferries today ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭ Marcusm


    We had our Christmas dinner last night:

    - lobster & prawn salad
    - duck breast, green beans and dauphinois potato with red wine/rosemary sauce
    - chocolate fondant with cream


  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭ Recliner


    Glad I did all my prep yesterday.
    Ham in slow cooker, boned and rolled turkey in oven, me back for a lie down after too much bucks fizz for breakfast. Shameful.


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,598 ✭✭✭✭ the beer revolu


    I'm surprised at how many people, like me, do the ham on Christmas eve to be served cold on the day. It slices so much better cold.

    I'm used to hearing people cook it on the day and serving it hot. Seems too much like a bacon and cabbage dinner to me.

    Download Brave browser, it gets rid of the ads. #saveboards



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭ lab man


    Question for ye guys my sister bought a kinda pre cooked turkey 14lb how lo g would it want in the oven and gas mark please I always cooked here with no problems until she got this figarai the other day


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,598 ✭✭✭✭ the beer revolu


    lab man wrote: »
    Question for ye guys my sister bought a kinda pre cooked turkey 14lb how lo g would it want in the oven and gas mark please I always cooked here with no problems until she got this figarai the other day

    Never come across the like.

    Perhaps slicing it and just warming the slices up in tinfoil in the oven might be a way to go.
    I'd say it would be dry as feck if you reheated a cooked turkey!

    Download Brave browser, it gets rid of the ads. #saveboards



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭ lab man


    Never come across the like.

    Perhaps slicing it and just warming the slices up in tinfoil in the oven might be a way to go.
    I'd say it would be dry as feck if you reheated a cooked turkey!

    Ya I know I usually do the cooking as she cant cook an egg i put it in the oven put lots of butter a few rashers on in at gas mark 4 i also have a pop up thermometer on it i know twill be a disaster but shur they think it's great for a 14 lbs turkey and a small ham she gave 200 quid for it crazy stuff in my view


  • Registered Users Posts: 32,636 ✭✭✭✭ Graces7


    hope you enjoy !

    Your hope was mightily fulfilled! It was delicious! And plenty for tomorrow and to plate and freeze… Pleasantly replete.. ;)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭ phormium


    Stuffed now after a second bowl of trifle for tea, actually might be a third! :)

    Sent the guests home with enough for the same again tomorrow. Someone would want to come up with an accurate guide to cooking turkey, some say 180/160fan others say 180 fan which is very hot and I can confirm definitely cooks the turkey in well less than the label said. Neither the whole turkey nor the crown I had took as long as the instructions that came with it, the turkey got slightly too much oven but the crown was perfect, I had knocked off 30 mins of the 2h 30m recommendation on the label for that.


Advertisement