Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

New 6x weekly Rosslare - Dunkerque (France) Ferry

124»

Comments



  • Tabnabs wrote: »
    The Rosslare run has a long deviation to clear Lands End. Cork is a more direct sailing in that regards.

    I don't think there is a huge difference in distance between Cork and Rosslare.

    Cork also has the issue of a rather slow sailing into the port after you pass Roches Point.




  • The Brittany Ferries Armorique is currently making her way across The English Channel from Ouisterham and is due into Rosslare at 16:00 tomorrow to start up these new services.




  • embraer170 wrote: »
    I don't think there is a huge difference in distance between Cork and Rosslare.

    Cork also has the issue of a rather slow sailing into the port after you pass Roches Point.

    Normally a half hour or so from the point to the ferryport, depending on conditions. It's about 7nm plus manoeuvring into berth.




  • No bad weather problems either unlike Rosslare where a puff of wind makes them run for cover.




  • roundymac wrote: »
    No bad weather problems either unlike Rosslare where a puff of wind makes them run for cover.

    Its a very rare situation when a ship can't enter Cork Harbour. That said, it can be lumpy enough inside the estuary, but you have shelter from most winds on 3 sides.
    Watch out for the Southeasterly though.


  • Advertisement


  • Dohvolle wrote: »
    Not half as bumpy either. Lands end can be nasty depending on conditions. Cornwall can shelter you from a lot, but once you pass it you are exposed to everything the Atlantic is throwing at you, in relatively shallow water.

    Both routes are basically the same until you clear Lands End then it's up to wind direction and sea conditions as to whether or not you have a bumpy crossing. One route is not necessarily rougher or smoother than the other.




  • Both routes are basically the same until you clear Lands End then it's up to wind direction and sea conditions as to whether or not you have a bumpy crossing. One route is not necessarily rougher or smoother than the other.

    It can get you by surprise once you leave the shelter of Lands end. Last time I did it we went from painting on deck to hanging onto our mattress below deck in the space of 5nm. Never so pleased to see the Wexfurt coast.




  • And now up to 36 services a week :


    Another freight ferry will be added to the services between Rosslare Europort and France from 1 April.

    DFDS, who introduced a new Rosslare-Dunkirk route on 2 January and has seen a high level of bookings for its ships from truck drivers and transport companies, will be introducing a fourth ferry to the route.

    The Ark Dania will have a capacity of 188 units, made up of 12 driver-accompanied trucks and 176 trailers.

    The addition will mean Rosslare has 36 ferry sailings in total to the continent every week from April.

    According to DFDS, the direct service between the Co Wexford port and Dunkirk has proved popular as it allows drivers and businesses to avoid checks and paperwork on the UK landbridge.



    "Ark Dania will be the flagship of our route and very manoeuvrable," route director Aidan Coffey said, "with the capabilities of carrying diverse cargo. It will also free up capacity on our three other ferries for more driver accompanied trucks".

    Mr Coffey said there is "a huge demand" from all sectors of industry who want to use the direct route, "as more and more realise the benefits of using the direct route compared to the UK the land-bridge".

    General manager of Rosslare Europort Glenn Carr said the additional capacity and frequency on the route "further demonstrates the commitment of Rosslare Europort and DFDS to meet industry demand and ensure the continuity of Ireland's supply chain post Brexit".

    He said that, as further border control procedures are implemented by the UK government in the coming weeks, additional direct services from Rosslare Europort to avoid the landbridge are timely. 

    Rosslare now has direct services to Dunkirk, Cherbourg, and San Malo/Roscoff in France, as well as Bilbao in Spain.




  • Gateway to Europe, and may it prosper :)


  • Advertisement


  • kub wrote: »
    And now up to 36 services a week :


    Another freight ferry will be added to the services between Rosslare Europort and France from 1 April.

    DFDS, who introduced a new Rosslare-Dunkirk route on 2 January and has seen a high level of bookings for its ships from truck drivers and transport companies, will be introducing a fourth ferry to the route.

    The Ark Dania will have a capacity of 188 units, made up of 12 driver-accompanied trucks and 176 trailers.

    The addition will mean Rosslare has 36 ferry sailings in total to the continent every week from April.

    According to DFDS, the direct service between the Co Wexford port and Dunkirk has proved popular as it allows drivers and businesses to avoid checks and paperwork on the UK landbridge.



    "Ark Dania will be the flagship of our route and very manoeuvrable," route director Aidan Coffey said, "with the capabilities of carrying diverse cargo. It will also free up capacity on our three other ferries for more driver accompanied trucks".

    Mr Coffey said there is "a huge demand" from all sectors of industry who want to use the direct route, "as more and more realise the benefits of using the direct route compared to the UK the land-bridge".

    General manager of Rosslare Europort Glenn Carr said the additional capacity and frequency on the route "further demonstrates the commitment of Rosslare Europort and DFDS to meet industry demand and ensure the continuity of Ireland's supply chain post Brexit".

    He said that, as further border control procedures are implemented by the UK government in the coming weeks, additional direct services from Rosslare Europort to avoid the landbridge are timely.

    Rosslare now has direct services to Dunkirk, Cherbourg, and San Malo/Roscoff in France, as well as Bilbao in Spain.


    Brittany Ferries is no longer running to St Malo and Roscoff. Theyre beginning Cork Roscoff with Armorique on Wednesday 24th March.



    That aside great work by Glenn Carr and his staff in attracting so much business to the port.


Advertisement