Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Solar PV and Smart Thermal Storage heaters

• 26-11-2020 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ millb

Is there a benefit to putting in a number of new Smart Storage heaters to a planned extension?

I currently have a new Smart Meter (house is 1999 built 4 bed on urban 24hr tariff with Nat Gas condenser (2017) CH unit - no night circuits). I will need ~ 4 new radiators for a new 2 story extension and I'm looking at a max of 10 PV (3.5kWp?) panels possibly with a ~5kWh storage battery.

The extension is within existing foundations / floors so I don't see scope for a new heat pump. The current CH may be able to take 2 or 3+ additional radiators but I'm wondering whether there is a quantifiable case for 2 or 4 Smart Elec storage heaters to maximise variable tarriffs.

As I can't find much detail on "smart" storage - what do folks think? .. all comments welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1

Have you thought about Far Infrared Heaters?
    I have no experience of them but hear good things from a mate who has them heating his separate studio room

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ ercork

What about an air to air heat pump? This would be cheaper than any electric heating system to run. All you would need is a small bit of garden space to site the outdoor unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭ Alkers

If have thought the most economical way would be as many rads more on the gas boiler as you can fit and if there's a shortfall then get storage or electric. The cost of s unit of gas is so cheap in comparison to electcity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1

...but this is a Renewable Energies forum....

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ millb

ercork wrote: »
    What about an air to air heat pump? This would be cheaper than any electric heating system to run. All you would need is a small bit of garden space to site the outdoor unit.

I'm thinking the less pipes the better. The smart storage can use free PV or v cheap electricity and is easily installed, modular and easily moved if necessary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement