Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solarzroof panels , should I change to a combi gas boiler or not

Options
  • 23-11-2020 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I am strongly considering installing Solar Panels however a plumber has suggested we change our boiler to a combo boiler and remove our immersion. By doing this am I reducing the benefits from installing solar panels. It is a ( person home with 3 teens/ early 20’s girls, so lots of showers.
    I reckon I will be purchasing an electric car in the next 5 years and if the solar panel produce an excess electricity I would use that to power up my car.
    Looking at 10 solar panels @ €6k after grant (€1.8k) and a 4.8kwh pylontech battery @ €4.4k

Looking for any views on whether or not I should change to a combo boiler or not?
    Post edited by Jonathan on

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Please tell me you’re not buying 4.8 battery for €4.4K? Something not making sense

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Aidan17

slave1 wrote: »
    Please tell me you’re not buying 4.8 battery for €4.4K? Something not making sense

I got a new quote earlier for €12k including:

13 x 310W Peimar Panels totaling 4.0kwp photovoltaic system 1 x Solis Inverter
    4.8kwh Pylontech Battery ( €3,489 + vat 13%)
    Complete Installation of Roof Mounting Kit

I get grant €3k if I have a C3 rating after installation, but how do I know if I will have a C3 rating or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Aidan17 wrote: »
    slave1 wrote: »

I got a new quote earlier for €12k including:

13 x 310W Peimar Panels totaling 4.0kwp photovoltaic system 1 x Solis Inverter
    4.8kwh Pylontech Battery ( €3,489 + vat 13%)
    Complete Installation of Roof Mounting Kit

I get grant €3k if I have a C3 rating after installation, but how do I know if I will have a C3 rating or not?

Get a ber assessment done now. Dont let the assessor submit it.
    Ask what it would be after the solar is installed.
    If it will bring it up to C3, get your solar. Inform assessor the work is done and away you go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Aidan, those prices are off the chart, by way of comparions I've just had installed...

18 x Canadian Solar 410w PERC Poly panels so totalling 7.4kW
    1 BPE 5 KW Hybrid Dual MPPT inverter.
    1 no safety isolating fireman's switch to solar panels.
    All DC cabling and isolators.
    All AC cabling and isolators
    All protection devices required to inverter.
    1 Battery to inverter. Pylon tec 2.4 kw including mounting bracket.

I should point out I've poor aspect and heavy tree shading on my main string so hence oversized panels vs inverter

Gross cost of €8,620, less grant of €3,000, net cost of €5,620 so your quote is mad, if you want details of my installer please PM me.

I would not bother with combo boiler as April to Sept you should have serious excess into your immersion from the PV panels

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Aidan17

I expected an alert for responses but never got any so just saw this recently. This is so long ago I can’t recall exactly but looks like that is what I was quoted. The combo boiler was installed but I never went with the Solar panels. Must request a new quote and see, although I reckon I would need a full retrofit to achieve the rating required and the cost of that is just too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭DC999

Hey, this thread is dead 4 years so I'd suggest don't post here. Have a look at the quotes thread to get yourself up to speed on solar quotes atm. Best of luck with the solar hunt!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement