Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HOMESAVERS CORK ROAD WATERFORD

• 20-11-2020 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if its still open today after yesterdays terrible news

Save me a trip down if they already closed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    There is one in Ballybricken which should be unaffected.

Not same selection and filthy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Terrible news?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I see a lot of outrage over this online but seriously if they don't have permission then why get angry? There's rules for a reason and you're expected to obey them.

I see a lot of outrage over this online but seriously if they don't have permission then why get angry? There's rules for a reason and you're expected to obey them.

exactly, wtf is wrong with people, a large business just rocked into town, and without giving a flying fcuk about our laws, rocked on! wtf!

• Advertisement

Save me a trip down if they already closed

Dreadful news

Dreadful news

dreadful news, in the middle of a pandemic?

Not same selection and filthy

disgusting shop never again

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I actually saw your tweet yesterday Harry and thought to myself what kind of twitter accounts is this fellow following :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I always search waterford and #waterford once a day just to see what's happening here (and in Waterford MI or course ;)) and that popped up, and yes I did a double take as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

People are angry because this decision is putting a fair amount of people out of a job in the middle of a pandemic, right before Christmas, that's why. Fairly obvious I would have thought.

Could the council not have given the stores an extension until after Christmas at least? Not saying rules shouldn't be followed, but surely a bit of common sense and compassion could have been practiced, especially in times like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

People are angry because this decision is putting a fair amount of people out of a job in the middle of a pandemic, right before Christmas, that's why. Fairly obvious I would have thought.

Could the council not have given the stores an extension until after Christmas at least? Not saying rules shouldn't be followed, but surely a bit of common sense and compassion could have been practiced, especially in times like these.

They opened a shop the size of a f***ing aircraft hangar without planning permission!

I'm going to build a runway in Kilbarry for the laugh. You'll back me because I'll create jobs yeah?

They opened a shop the size of a f***ing aircraft hangar without planning permission!

I'm going to build a runway in Kilbarry for the laugh. You'll back me because I'll create jobs yeah?

Well, jobs are pretty important at the moment, so yeah, I was just sympathising with the staff who are finding themselves out of a job right before Christmas is all. It'll just add more people to the dole queue, but I guess it's more important to dot all the I's and cross all the T's.

I never said rules shouldn't be followed, but was merely responding to a poster who wondered where all the outrage was coming from. Tis hard for people at the moment and this decision has made it a little harder for quite a few more. Do you not think a fine and an extension until after Christmas may have been more compassionate than just closing up shop indefinitely and putting people out of work on such short notice?

Is the shop actually closed now?

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Is the shop actually closed now?

Not sure about the Cork Road store (news story says it was ordered to close by 6pm yesterday), but the Tramore store was ready to open in a few days and now won't. Saw this post on facebook from one of the staff there:

"I am one of the new hires in the tramore store we have been working non stop every day to get the place ready since last week, the work and hours all the staff have put in is phenomenal store looks fantastic, I say we only had two days left before we finished and could open. And now we're all unemployed right before Christmas some even left there previous jobs to start here all that hard work for nothing council should be ashamed of themselves! you've put over 150 people out of jobs, jobs that were so hard to find in the middle of a pandemic, you've sent all of us back to the dole office"

It's an awful shame seeing so many people losing their jobs, especially on top of Debenhams closing. It's a real blow to the city and county, jobs wise.

Not sure about the Cork Road store (news story says it was ordered to close by 6pm yesterday), but the Tramore store was ready to open in a few days and now won't. Saw this post on facebook from one of the staff there:

"I am one of the new hires in the tramore store we have been working non stop every day to get the place ready since last week, the work and hours all the staff have put in is phenomenal store looks fantastic, I say we only had two days left before we finished and could open. And now we're all unemployed right before Christmas some even left there previous jobs to start here all that hard work for nothing council should be ashamed of themselves! you've put over 150 people out of jobs, jobs that were so hard to find in the middle of a pandemic, you've sent all of us back to the dole office"

It's an awful shame seeing so many people losing their jobs, especially on top of Debenhams closing. It's a real blow to the city and county, jobs wise.

Yeah it is terrible alright but I really don’t get why the council are getting so much flack here while Homesavers come across as the victims. Yes the staff are caught up in an awful situation now but this problem lies solely with Homesavers and not the council in my opinion.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Yeah it is terrible alright but I really don’t get why the council are getting so much flack here while Homesavers come across as the victims. Yes the staff are caught up in an awful situation now but this problem lies solely with Homesavers and not the council in my opinion.

The only victims here are the staff, regardless of who's at fault. I just really feel for them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

The store in Tramore is huge, was a manufacturing factory beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Why exactly are people annoyed at the council here? If they chose to do anything else they'd have been lambasted too.

Homesavers are the ones who tried to flaunt the rules thereby they are the ones who have let down their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Not the council's fault. Company should have followed the protocols. They are the ones who are putting workers out of work, not the council.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Same thing happened in Limerick two years ago, and it's still open.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/business/arid-30958708.html%3ftype=amp

I can see where they are coming from, if home store and more can trade in the same place (in Limerick), and they also sell non big box items. Still, two wrongs don't make a right.

As others have said, where does it stop! Allow one large company to breach serious rules and laws, just opens the flood gates, it's clearly the company's fault the staff are out of work, the council are dead right

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

This is the same think as TK Maxx being made close in Butlerstown and forced into town to Railway Sq. Maintain primacy of city centre for this type of retail.
    Council was dead right.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

This is the same think as TK Maxx being made close in Butlerstown and forced into town to Railway Sq. Maintain primacy of city centre for this type of retail.
    Council was dead right.

Pity they’re not in any great hurry to enforce the planning laws on the travellers in Carrickpherish.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AUDI20

Well, jobs are pretty important at the moment, so yeah, I was just sympathising with the staff who are finding themselves out of a job right before Christmas is all. It'll just add more people to the dole queue, but I guess it's more important to dot all the I's and cross all the T's.

I never said rules shouldn't be followed, but was merely responding to a poster who wondered where all the outrage was coming from. Tis hard for people at the moment and this decision has made it a little harder for quite a few more. Do you not think a fine and an extension until after Christmas may have been more compassionate than just closing up shop indefinitely and putting people out of work on such short notice?

Do you not think that Home Savers should have had their affairs in order before opening these stores, they put their workers jobs at risk not the Council. Planning permissions is there for a reason.

AUDI20 wrote: »
    Do you not think that Home Savers should have had their affairs in order before opening these stores, they put their workers jobs at risk not the Council. Planning permissions is there for a reason.

oh i suspect they had their affairs well in order, id say they were trying to pull a fast one, particularly during a pandemic, these lads are far from stupid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Most likely they didn't plamás the council too much or oil the wheels with a few free dinners for the lads so off they jolly well Fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Most likely they didn't plamás the council too much or oil the wheels with a few free dinners for the lads so off they jolly well Fcuk.

I have had a good bit of experience with the city planning department and can honestly say that I have never seen any real evidence of back handers or political influence. Stupid decisions, bad decisions, emphatically yes. But corruption ? No. As for Waterford County area?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JWaterford

This letter was sent to the Waterford Council from homesavers. It sounds like other shops use the same type of planning permission as Homesavers. https://waterford-news.ie/2020/11/24/read-extraordinary-letter-from-homesavers-to-waterford-city-county-council-ceo/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

JWaterford wrote: »
    This letter was sent to the Waterford Council from homesavers. It sounds like other shops use the same type of planning permission as Homesavers. https://waterford-news.ie/2020/11/24/read-extraordinary-letter-from-homesavers-to-waterford-city-county-council-ceo/

Very odd way to do business....

Advertisement