Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fish Tanks Up Stairs

Options
  • 17-11-2020 3:05pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Whats the biggest fish tank you have up stairs?

Big tanks are a lot of weight. Trying to gauge how big I could go

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

godtabh wrote: »

Not answering the question but.. put it at right angles to the joists and near the supporting wall. I have had 240 litre without issue... not sure I'd go much bigger!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

As above poster says would all depend where u are placing it. I also definitely wouldnt go bigger than a 240l. Buddy has a 160 in his room no issue

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

100l is about the same as large adult 16 stone. I’d only start worrying above 250l. Same as two large adults lying in a bed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'd be looking to put it in to a bedroom that I am turning into an office. I'd like to go to 450l but that might be way OTT!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

I'd be looking to put it in to a bedroom that I am turning into an office. I'd like to go to 450l but that might be way OTT!

If your doing work converting for the office u could look into reinforcing the floor under the tank if budget allows

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I’m taking a bed out and putting a desk in. Nothing fancy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

ted1 wrote: »
    100l is about the same as large adult 16 stone. I’d only start worrying above 250l. Same as two large adults lying in a bed.

Bit of a difference though in a bed that 250KG is spread over 2.5m2 my own tank weighs close to that and covers 0.24m2. on ground floor though. Big difference between 100kg/m2 for the bed and a tank at 1040kg/m2

Ryath wrote: »
    Bit of a difference though in a bed that 250KG is spread over 2.5m2 my own tank weighs close to that and covers 0.24m2. on ground floor though. Big difference between 100kg/m2 for the bed and a tank at 1040kg/m2

My bed is on 8 wheels ( divan base). So the pressure is applied only to 8 small areas as opposed to the full 2.5m2. Do the tank is actually better

I’m an engineer. I should be able to calculate this but I’m lazy

I’m an engineer. I should be able to calculate this but I’m lazy

Electronic and energy engineer here. I’ll leave the calcs to the structural or civil ones ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

What's the intermediate floor? Timber or Ducon? What size are the timbers? Wouldn't put anything heavier than 240 litres on 6*2 without counter strengthening.
    Aeronautical engineer here, not really my forte.

ted1 wrote: »
    My bed is on 8 wheels ( divan base). So the pressure is applied only to 8 small areas as opposed to the full 2.5m2. Do the tank is actually better

The load from the bed is still spread across several joists the fish tank could be sitting on just 2. The load is going to be less off an issue against the wall though where the joists are supported than out in the middle of the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

The load from the bed is still spread across several joists the fish tank could be sitting on just 2. The load is going to be less off an issue against the wall though where the joists are supported than out in the middle of the floor.

A 250 litre tank would be across 4 joists.

What about a hot cylinder that has no extra supports and you can easy have 250 litres in a small circle

corkgsxr wrote: »
    A 250 litre tank would be across 4 joists.

What about a hot cylinder that has no extra supports and you can easy have 250 litres in a small circle

250L tank is still going to weigh 400-450kg. Tank alone weighs 50kg, cabinet 40, Substrate/rocks 50kg, external filter/other equipment adds up to.
    https://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/rio-240-tank-cabinet-black
    400kg devided by a Footprint of 0.491m2 is 816.66kg/m2

Hot water press has been built to take that weight though.

I'm sure a 150- 200L tank will be fine against the wall its a static load. I'm sure plenty people have wardrobes full of clothes and crap that weigh close to it. Floor won't collapse but you may get some sagging and plaster board cracking on the ceiling below. I'm not an engineer though! Only a structural one is going to give an accurate answer and they are still going to err on the side of caution by a large amount.

250L tank is still going to weigh 400-450kg. Tank alone weighs 50kg, cabinet 40, Substrate/rocks 50kg, external filter/other equipment adds up to.
    https://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/rio-240-tank-cabinet-black
    400kg devided by a Footprint of 0.491m2 is 816.66kg/m2

Hot water press has been built to take that weight though.

I'm sure a 150- 200L tank will be fine against the wall its a static load. I'm sure plenty people have wardrobes full of clothes and crap that weigh close to it. Floor won't collapse but you may get some sagging and plaster board cracking on the ceiling below. I'm not an engineer though! Only a structural one is going to give an accurate answer and they are still going to err on the side of caution by a large amount.

Iv yet to see a hot press that has anything different to the floor. Btw I'm a plumber.

Filters I run a double canister 14 litres water content.

You add substrate you loose water content. So don't add for that.

250 litre is max 350.

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Iv yet to see a hot press that has anything different to the floor. Btw I'm a plumber.

Filters I run a double canister 14 litres water content.

You add substrate you loose water content. So don't add for that.

250 litre is max 350.

I'll bow to your knowledge on hot-presses! I have a bungalow but would have thought there would be some effort to reinforce the floor.
    I'd still reckon closer to 400kg. Sand is around 1.6 times as dense as water doesn't completely displace it. And rock is about 2.5 times as dense as water.

I'll bow to your knowledge on hot-presses! I have a bungalow but would have thought there would be some effort to reinforce the floor.
    I'd still reckon closer to 400kg. Sand is around 1.6 times as dense as water doesn't completely displace it. And rock is about 2.5 times as dense as water.

No. Sometimes they'll put a stud wall under them. But no no re-enforcement.

Mostly there outside wall or centre of house. But that's more to maximise rooms.

Centre of house chances are you'll have a wall near to break the span.

Also think of it a attic tank 200-300 litres sitting on the rafters with 2 cross beams to give it a base

Advertisement