Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nimbyism: Windfarm off South County Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

ted1 wrote: »
    No one is talking about suing. That mast has to go there to operate. The wind turbines don’t.

You've made the point several times that the windfarm should go on another bank further out than Kish, yet despite several requests to highlight which would be a suitable bank, you've refused. I don't see one, so again, please indicate where you're talking about. I'm sure you must have done the research to make that claim.

https://atlas.marine.ie/#?c=53.2960:-5.9965:11

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ganmo wrote: »
    Would they even entertain a small wind farm without before it gets pp?

You wouldn’t bother with PP, you’d need to get a connection first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

I have no problem with Nuclear, however it won’t play any part. The lead time is to long and we’ll have all we energy we need with BESS and possible hydrogen.

If we start a landing designing and building a nuclear plant you’d be looking at 2050 go live

If your objecting to the site of wind turbines near you then you will hardle stomach the substation style infrastructure of bess.

It absolutely doesn't. There are other mountain tops overlooking Dublin or they could have built towers like they did in London.

Is there a need for it now a days. How many people use Aerial for TV?

It absolutely doesn't. There are other mountain tops overlooking Dublin or they could have built towers like they did in London.

• Advertisement

You've made the point several times that the windfarm should go on another bank further out than Kish, yet despite several requests to highlight which would be a suitable bank, you've refused. I don't see one, so again, please indicate where you're talking about. I'm sure you must have done the research to make that claim.

https://atlas.marine.ie/#?c=53.2960:-5.9965:11

Spoofers don’t answer question or back up arguments they make.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Do you use electricity? Do you see any future where the country won't need electricity?

My point is why is it such an issue for you that you might be able to see a wind farm 10km from your home when most of us also "suffer" the same no matter where we live. It will make next to no difference to the enjoyment of your home, the same as me being able to see navigation lights makes no difference to mine.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's another example of NIMBYism.

Weston's always been a busy airfield, and has been the second busiest in Ireland, in fact, based on aircraft movements. The residents are not complaining only about the very limited jet traffic but also the small training aircraft. I fly out of there and there are very strict noise-abatement procedures to follow nowadays, but they're still not happy. They're not quite sure what they're not happy about, just that they don't want it in their area.
    In fairness, Mansfield, who was responsible for most of the development at Weston, didn't like the hassle of following proper planning procedures which is why many of the locals weren't happy.
    There was also an issue where at least one plane stationed there was involved in an attempt to smuggle drugs. This turned out to be Mansfield's own jet (he was unaware apparently) which was discovered by Belgian police. This was also despite Weston not being an international airport!

In fairness, Mansfield, who was responsible for most of the development at Weston, didn't like the hassle of following proper planning procedures which is why many of the locals weren't happy.
    There was also an issue where at least one plane stationed there was involved in an attempt to smuggle drugs. This turned out to be Mansfield's own jet (he was unaware apparently) which was discovered by Belgian police. This was also despite Weston not being an international airport!

If by not international you mean it doesn't have full-time customs personnel stationed there, then yes, but, like with any other airport in Ireland, flights from anywhere in the world are allowed with the normal 24 hrs pre-notification requirement.

Of course Mansfield's travails are well-known, but this was not part of the residents' objections, though of course they eventually threw this topic into the mix as additional ammo, the same way the South Dublin residents are making up problems with this windfarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Ive been looking at your thread post bird and I afraid you've been caught spoofing.

I posted links to scientific papers on the subject - Its your the spoofer pal as you clearly know FA about the subject:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Does anyone know who to talk to about starting the planning process for a wind farm in the dublin mountains?

Its not going to happen as they are adjacent to the Wicklow Mtns National park and major archeoligical sites like Seefin. An application went in for 5 turbines on Butter Mtn next to Kippure around 2012 and there was massive public opposition locally and nationally. Got thrown out by ABP on the grounds i mentioned.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I posted links to scientific papers on the subject - Its your the spoofer pal as you clearly know FA about the subject:rolleyes:

Not what Harvard say :)

Is the Kish Bank a protected area?

Its adjacent to protected areas like Dublin Bay and Dalkey Islands - the species that feed there also have the highest level of protection under the EU Birds Directive

Would they even entertain a small wind farm without before it gets pp?

Another factor to consider is the potential interference of a wind farm on tv/radio signals coming from Kippure and the mass of Telecom masts on surrounding hills.

I live 40km from Dublin in the middle of nowhere but at night I can see the tv mast navigation lights on Kippure from my bedroom window. I wonder can I sue RTE for taking away from the enjoyment of my home? /s

Do you want a wind farm interuppting your TV and mobile phone signals??

Spoofers don’t answer question or back up arguments they make.

Maybe you should practice what you preach??

Maybe you should practice what you preach??

You said wind farms were noting more than greenwashing, what post of yours backs up that. A thread page number will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Another factor to consider is the potential interference of a wind farm on tv/radio signals coming from Kippure and the mass of Telecom masts on surrounding hills.
    Where I'm thinking of is not in between kippure and three rock and it is on the outer range of mobile coverage from the burbs
    Its adjacent to protected areas like Dublin Bay and Dalkey Islands - the species that feed there also have the highest level of protection under the EU Birds Directive

Everywhere is adjacent to somewhere. The limitations placed on those areas cannot be placed on areas outside those areas.

I'm talking about a 4 or 6 turbine development so small scale

Everywhere is adjacent to somewhere. The limitations placed on those areas cannot be placed on areas outside those areas.

They can if the developement impacts on the purpose of the nearby protected area or species eg. a river may be classed as an SAC - but one of its tributaries may not be. However if a developement impacts on water quaility in this tributary which flows into the SAC, then its clear that that development is an issue for the SAC and potentially becomes part of the reason why that development may be refused permission.

PS: Such an incident happened only 24 hrs ago in Donegal at a wind farm construction site. Several tributaries leading into SAC rivers have been badly impacted and local anglers are already finding dead Salmon etc.

https://www.facebook.com/finnvalleywind

They can if the developement impacts on the purpose of the nearby protected area or species eg. a river may be classed as an SAC - but one of its tributaries may not be. However if a developement impacts on water quaility in this tributary which flows into the SAC, then its clear that that development is an issue for the SAC and potentially becomes part of the reason why that development may be refused permission.

PS: Such an incident happened only 24 hrs ago in Donegal at a wind farm construction site. Several tributaries leading into SAC rivers have been badly impacted and local anglers are already finding dead Salmon etc.

What evidence is there that this was caused by construction of the windfarm, apart from a lobby group implying it?

• Advertisement

Pity you aren’t as concerned about the treatment plants dumping raw sewage into waters around athe country

What evidence is there that this was caused by construction of the windfarm, apart from a lobby group implying it?

The drone footage shows the bog slide originating from the site of the construction works - just like what happend at Derrybrein Co. Galway

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/derrybrien-wind-farm-how-it-all-went-wrong/

The drone footage shows the bog slide originating from the site of the construction works - just like what happend at Derrybrein Co. Galway

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/derrybrien-wind-farm-how-it-all-went-wrong/

https://twitter.com/rooneymobile/status/1327581502763380736?s=20

I see the slide passing by the construction sites but not starting at them. The footage doesn't prove that construction was the cause. Bogslides have been happening for as long as there have been bogs. Large rainfall is the cause. A Kerry slide in 1896 killed 8 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Pity you aren’t as concerned about the treatment plants dumping raw sewage into waters around athe country
    It is a mistake to impugn ill intent in those who disagree with you here. 95% of the people posting here all sincrerely want to protect the environment. Everyone here is concerned about water pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It is a mistake to impugn ill intent in those who disagree with you here. 95% of the people posting here all sincrerely want to protect the environment. Everyone here is concerned about water pollution.

In fairness Irish water are doing more about treatment works now than the local councils ever did ..
    East cork is getting a sewerage scheme for the harbour .. yup other places are getting 5g, or cycle lanes ,discussing metros ..but the lower harbour ( eastern side) is getting sewers ... Woohoo ..
    ( Western side got them last year)
    Now what about individuals septic tanks , and run off ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Wow , that is impressive ...
    Scary and destructive but impressive..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

At least there's be no risk of a bog slide off the coast ..
    With the lists of reasons that people give both for and against wind turbines , how many are actually valid . ?

Some are anti the visual aspect ( totally valid reason) , but also give out about infrasound ,and light flicker,
    When they live no where near a turbine ,

Some may worry about birdlife ( again valid concern ) , and then also rant about the economics quoting outdated stats .

Myself , I like the the visual aspect , and the "green ideal " to such an extent that I quite often gloss over the negatives such poorly sited turbines ..

I just wonder with a polarizing topic do we pick our position first ( quite often with a valid to ourselves reason ) ,and then look for anything else to bolster that position ... ( Sometimes just to the put "opposition"down )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

To be fair, it's gone a bit off topic now, talking about bog slides and water pollution. No such problems would occur with the Dublin Array.

• Advertisement

It’s my opinion that a few posters are using environmental claims to shore up their nimbyistic agenda.

Advertisement