Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Psychiatric Services in Waterford

  • 08-11-2020 2:52pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ PPN2893


    Hi,

    So what I'm about to ask for is going to talk about will seem crazy to some people (and for good reason!) but I'm looking for people who've tried the mental health services here in Waterford and found them not just lacking but severely lacking.

    My short story is that I've been in and out of the services for 10 years desperately looking for help but I'm much worse now than when I started. I'm not trying to get the fiddle out. I'm actually trying to do the opposite. If no one will help me, then maybe I try to change it in some way myself so that the next generation of patients might actually get somewhere.

    These goals are pretty lofty and I don't think it's likely I'll get anywhere with trying to "expose" the system but I have to try. I can't keep being complacent and there's no better time for a plan of action than right now. I'm going to apply to volunteer for Mental Health Ireland tomorrow morning. The fact that their website doesn't even list the Waterford branch under the Munster section is a bit worrisome, though.

    Look, I get it. I've basically admitted to being a crazy person. No one's probably gonna want to get involved with anything I've planned but if you've been in a similar situation, you know what the system here does to a person. I want to turn the hopelessness that comes from the lack of received care into something proactive. I would love if I could find some like minded people here in Waterford who'd be willing to at least humour an insane women's quest for change. If that's not your jam, fair enough. I wouldn't be jumping at the chance of talking about mental health to the cows come with me either.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ spaceCreated


    PPN2893 wrote: »
    Hi,

    So what I'm about to ask for is going to talk about will seem crazy to some people (and for good reason!) but I'm looking for people who've tried the mental health services here in Waterford and found them not just lacking but severely lacking.

    My short story is that I've been in and out of the services for 10 years desperately looking for help but I'm much worse now than when I started. I'm not trying to get the fiddle out. I'm actually trying to do the opposite. If no one will help me, then maybe I try to change it in some way myself so that the next generation of patients might actually get somewhere.

    These goals are pretty lofty and I don't think it's likely I'll get anywhere with trying to "expose" the system but I have to try. I can't keep being complacent and there's no better time for a plan of action than right now. I'm going to apply to volunteer for Mental Health Ireland tomorrow morning. The fact that their website doesn't even list the Waterford branch under the Munster section is a bit worrisome, though.

    Look, I get it. I've basically admitted to being a crazy person. No one's probably gonna want to get involved with anything I've planned but if you've been in a similar situation, you know what the system here does to a person. I want to turn the hopelessness that comes from the lack of received care into something proactive. I would love if I could find some like minded people here in Waterford who'd be willing to at least humour an insane women's quest for change. If that's not your jam, fair enough. I wouldn't be jumping at the chance of talking about mental health to the cows come with me either.

    We're in a 4 seater constituency FF, FG and Greens don't care. Theres already been strikes etc. https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30962613.html


  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ PPN2893


    I'm sorry but telling me that it's not a good right now is not a factor in my decision. I'm not waiting until the next election just to have a random candidate at my doorstep half heartedly promise to help only to have the same thing happen again.
    I know that this may be pointless but if enough heads actually decide they want to do something, then we might actually get somewhere.
    If only mental health reform or just reform of the HSE in general were as energising to people as the thought of paying for water then we might not have this mess of a health system.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭ PTH2009


    The services out in brooke house/St John's are bad. Tick box exercises in which you just get prescribed anti depressants and come back in xx weeks/months. Always different doctors each time mostly non Irish. Common solutions like 'why don't you join a social club or something', 'give up the drinking' etc. Ill never use the services again or take the medication they prescribed

    I have to go private as I'm on the spectrum and not officially diagnosed. The covid has played its part and I have to wait til next year too get it done.


  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ PPN2893


    PTH2009 wrote: »
    The services out in brooke house/St John's are bad. Tick box exercises in which you just get prescribed anti depressants and come back in xx weeks/months. Always different doctors each time mostly non Irish. Common solutions like 'why don't you join a social club or something', 'give up the drinking' etc. Ill never use the services again or take the medication they prescribed

    I have to go private as I'm on the spectrum and not officially diagnosed. The covid has played its part and I have to wait til next year too get it done.

    This is exactly what I'm talking about. It's not just the structure and funding. It's the doctors themselves.

    If you don't have some combo of depression, mania or psychosis then you are out of luck. I went private but couldn't afford it all the time so I went back to public care with all my documentation. I was told that I paid for a diagnosis. The same doctor that said that to me has now gone private while still being in charge of psychiatric department.

    These people are in charge of some of the most vulnerable people in the SE and it's genuinely not that dissimilar to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I know because I tried inpatient care 10 years ago. It is horrific.


  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭ Flow Motion


    I read an article in one of the weekend papers a few weeks ago upon the topic of mental health issues. Its accepted that men are not the best at opening up or talking about their problems which in turn leads to a higher suicide rate in that gender. Off his own back some fella in Dublin decided to set up a club where a small group of men could talk openly about things. He called it the Dublin Boys Club. I accept that this is a small thing but it seems to have really helped. Take a look at the website:
    https://www.thedublinboysclub.com/guide-to-setting-up-your-own-club

    Perhaps you could set up a local branch of the Waterford Girls Club? Waterford Wans Club:pac:? If the Government or the inadequate services it funds are unable to help then the people have to look out for themselves. Just an idea?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ PPN2893


    I read an article in one of the weekend papers a few weeks ago upon the topic of mental health issues. Its accepted that men are not the best at opening up or talking about their problems which in turn leads to a higher suicide rate in that gender. Off his own back some fella in Dublin decided to set up a club where a small group of men could talk openly about things. He called it the Dublin Boys Club. I accept that this is a small thing but it seems to have really helped. Take a look at the website:
    https://www.thedublinboysclub.com/guide-to-setting-up-your-own-club

    Perhaps you could set up a local branch of the Waterford Girls Club? Waterford Wans Club:pac:? If the Government or the inadequate services it funds are unable to help then the people have to look out for themselves. Just an idea?

    You know, I was going fully vitriolic with the system but I hadn't thought of something like this. It's definitely something I'm going to look into for both men and women (wouldn't want to neglect the men folk as you guys often have it worse for mental health stuff). I've already contacted Mental Health Ireland about volunteering so I'll try to tentatively make plans for something like this, even if it's something that I wouldn't be in charge of or anything.


  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭ Flow Motion


    PPN2893 wrote: »
    You know, I was going fully vitriolic with the system but I hadn't thought of something like this. It's definitely something I'm going to look into for both men and women (wouldn't want to neglect the men folk as you guys often have it worse for mental health stuff). I've already contacted Mental Health Ireland about volunteering so I'll try to tentatively make plans for something like this, even if it's something that I wouldn't be in charge of or anything.

    Best of luck with it all.


  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ janisjoplin


    PPN2893 wrote: »
    You know, I was going fully vitriolic with the system but I hadn't thought of something like this. It's definitely something I'm going to look into for both men and women (wouldn't want to neglect the men folk as you guys often have it worse for mental health stuff). I've already contacted Mental Health Ireland about volunteering so I'll try to tentatively make plans for something like this, even if it's something that I wouldn't be in charge of or anything.

    Hi, just want to say seen your post and admire your honesty and would like to add, I myself have had a lot of experience with depression and mental health issues and if you need any support or a volunteer in the above mentioned project, I will gladly help. I have some spare time during the week and would like to put it good use, so just pm me should you need any help :-)


  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭ Flow Motion


    Future Learn offer a lot of free online courses on a wide variety of subjects. I've had a look and they offer a range of courses in the area of mental health. I have done a number of things in other areas and they are pretty good TBH. Probably worth a look. If anything it would increase your understanding of the subject. Every bit helps.

    https://www.futurelearn.com/subjects/psychology-and-mental-health-courses


  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ spaceCreated


    PPN2893 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but telling me that it's not a good right now is not a factor in my decision. I'm not waiting until the next election just to have a random candidate at my doorstep half heartedly promise to help only to have the same thing happen again.
    I know that this may be pointless but if enough heads actually decide they want to do something, then we might actually get somewhere.
    If only mental health reform or just reform of the HSE in general were as energising to people as the thought of paying for water then we might not have this mess of a health system.

    All I did was reply to you giving a clear example of the people who work in the sector themselves found the services lacking support... I don't know why you think I should supply you reasons for anything or that I'm saying you should wait for anyone. You wont get much support for anything if someone tries to respond and you tell them thats not good enough for you


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭ Oscar Madison


    You are responsible for your own mental health, no one else!

    There is no one there to hold your hand and make everything better

    and there is no magic cure that comes in a bottle from a pharmacy!

    You need to make the choices and they are to either move on and

    adapt to the new environment that you find yourself in or stay as you currently

    are which I assume is not a good place to be. You need to fight with yourself

    to keep going as the hole only gets deeper! Best of luck in your choice!

    This is my experience and what I learned maybe a little too late but...


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,210 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    You are responsible for your own mental health, no one else!

    Thank you so much for your compassion and understanding, for those of us that struggle with mental health issues, maybe you could visit a&e at some stage over the winter, and explain to the folks waiting to get access to the psychiatric unit, that they're failing to provide themselves with the help they need, not only will they thank you, I'm sure the staff would to!


  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭ Oscar Madison


    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your compassion and understanding, for those of us that struggle with mental health issues, maybe you could visit a&e at some stage over the winter, and explain to the folks waiting to get access to the psychiatric unit, that they're failing to provide themselves with the help they need, not only will they thank you, I'm sure the staff would to!

    I am a very compassionate person W' but time waits for no man!

    I learned all this by myself! Change the scenery W'


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,210 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    I am a very compassionate person W' but time waits for no man!

    I learned all this by myself! Change the scenery W'

    no i wont, our mental health system operates under continual crisis mode, burn out rates are high in the profession, and many, possibly most citizens who require these services, rarely, if ever, get the help they truly need, it just self perpetuates. ive only truly started interacting with these services myself in the last few years, from years of hiding from my own mental health issues, ive been lucky to receive some amazing help, both publicly and privately, and ive come to the conclusion, we re in serious trouble here. those that truly need the services, baring in mind, id class my own mental issues as relatively mild, in comparison to others, effectively dont receive some sort of help until they are in serious crisis, when they rock up to a&e, after a suicide attempt and/or continual suicidal ideation, thats not the definition of a functioning service in my world.

    unfortunately mental health issues are not clear cut, you can become stuck, and require professional intervention to become unstuck, this can take time, when engaged in the services via therapy etc. it can sometimes take people years to get access to these services, and the systems default in that generally is, 'more medication', when the true solution can be a combination of both medication and the critical component, interaction with trained professionals such as therapists.

    sadly your previous comment effectively devalues the voices of those that urgently require these types of services, effectively saying to them, you re on your own, and you need to solve this yourself. for a person seriously struggling with these issues, that could be the type of comment that could potentially send them to the bridge. we truly need to be careful with such approaches, the depressed mind is a very vulnerable one, im sure most of us have had some experience with this, including yourself, i do apologise for the attack above, but....


Advertisement