Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Open plan or not - What to do???

Options
  • 07-11-2020 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi Boardies

I am considering changing the layout of my house.

On the bottom floor there are 3 doors excluding the entrance door.

A door leading to the living room from the hallway on the left.

From the living room there are 2 doors leading to the kitchen.

And another door from the hallway leading to the kitchen.

I have proposed these options

One is to make the house an open plan by permanently removing the two doors leading to the kitchen from the living room.

This would make house an open living/kitchen room.

The other is closing up the door that leads to the living room from the hallway.

Does this make sense? If so thoughts or other suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It all mostly depends on how you use your house and what would best serve your purpose.

However I would not remove the door to the living room from the hall as this means you have to take anyone who comes to the house all the way round through the kitchen to get into the living room. Its also a long walk round if you are in the living room and you hear someone ring the bell from the front door.

Just removing the doors between the living room and the kitchen doesn't really give you an open living space, it just means you can't close the doors if you want to! To get the effect of an open space you would need to at least take down a good bit of the wall. Remember when you take out a wall you lose the 'furniture space' on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

I have sort of the same layout, the door that comes from the hall to living room I never open, yes I have to walk in through the kitchen to the living room as do any visitors but it doesn't bother me, it's a short extra distance. I have often thought of just putting a bookcase there but don't need that either so left the door as it's glass and gives a bit of light to the hall, there is a chair in front of it in the living room so it's not even accessible, it's permanently locked.

Where the double doors going from kitchen to living room are I have folding doors so that they fold right back to either side and are not in the way, it's not quite open plan but they are open for the bulk of the year, this time of year if I light a fire in living room I would close them in the evening but they are mainly open and folded back.

Advertisement