Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who is Ireland's worst journalist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Humphries was always over rated and believed in his own hype. Where is he now!

Dunphy. Clown of the highest order.

Kimmage. Drugs, drugs and drugs. Yeah we got it decades ago.

Sunday World and the herald are dog****.

Is it fair to throw the mentally ill in here? O'Doherty and Waters.

Winner is Mick McCaffery an "investigative" journalist. Same as Jayson Blair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 QueenT

Kirsty Blake Knox - dreadful journalist - vindictive, nasty, unpleasant person.
    Her 'journalism' is full of her own appalling personal bias and agenda. Nasty bitchy targeted attacks with a very twisted sense of humour.
    Red top rubbish, have no idea why or how she is still employed as no-one has any respect for her.
    She has no idea of the damage that her malice has caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Edgware wrote: »
    The elderly weren't mostly Tory voters so stop spouting ****e. Look at the figures in the big traditional Labour constituencies.

From https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/21/age-not-class-is-what-divides-british-voters-most
    This time, the Conservatives’ vote share among the over-65s was more than 60%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Eamon Sweeney is brutal, attention seeking piss alot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SnazzyPig

QueenT wrote: »
    Her 'journalism' is full of her own appalling personal bias and agenda. Nasty bitchy targeted attacks with a very twisted sense of humour.
    Red top rubbish, have no idea why or how she is still employed as no-one has any respect for her.

I've just google that name and read the first article that turned up - woeful crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

QueenT wrote: »

Sort of reminds me of Amandra Brunker's 'writing'.

Brunker would try and start fights in her columns, literally going after teenagers or model's for saying the wrong thing.
    Then she'd start spreading rumours about other people. I suppose they (and her) were lucky that social media hadn't become the virus it is now, or else she'd have tried to do what Laura Whit-less did in regards to one journalist.

The venom and... jealousy(?) some of these people have towards others is disgusting, honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Sort of reminds me of Amandra Brunker's 'writing'.

Brunker would try and start fights in her columns, literally going after teenagers or model's for saying the wrong thing.
    Then she'd start spreading rumours about other people. I suppose they (and her) were lucky that social media hadn't become the virus it is now, or else she'd have tried to do what Laura Whit-less did in regards to one journalist.

The venom and... jealousy(?) some of these people have towards others is disgusting, honestly.

Ah, Brunker, now there's a name I'd forgotten about.

Ah, Brunker, now there's a name I'd forgotten about.

That was the moment Oxygen died (the festival I mean, not the chemical element).

RTE put up an edited one, to make her 'vocals' sound better... didn't help. Christ, I still think she's the worst excuse for a journalist to ever be given paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Kevin Myers, horrible person.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Ewan MacKenna is an unemployable crank and conspiracy theorist operating in the same sphere as Paddy Cosgrave. His Dunphy-Lite thing was never much good to be honest, and that’s why he was a sports journalist. He now has an enormous chip on his shoulder and likes to blame ‘the establishment’.

His Twitter feed is really appealing to the peanut gallery at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

This is the single worst thing ever committed to print in this country.
    Worse than any of Barry Egans vapid witterings. Worse than any of Niamh Horans emptyheaded nonsense.
    Dreams die with death of Katy
    Mon, Dec 10, 2007, 00:00

The last time I was on the Late Late(before my current flirtation with an icy demise) was six months ago, that early summer night when Eoghan Harris, Eamon Dunphy and myself fought over the mind and meaning of Bertie, and Harris nudged history a little off course, writes John Waters

Sinead O'Connor sang I Don't Know How to Love Himas only she can sing. Dunphy and I had a bet on air that Harris helped me win, and Katy French flirted for charity with a python, some maggots and miscellaneous unthinkables as only Katy could flirt.

I was drawn to her afterwards. We shook hands, said hello and she was gone. It was to be the only time we would meet but it got her into my head. God, she was beautiful. I don't mean just physically.

She had a beauty that suggested itself as emanating from an infinity within. She seemed to believe anything was possible and her smile convinced you, for an instant, that she was right. I wanted her dreams to come true.

She was a child. She was my daughter and Eoghan's daughter and Eamon's daughter and Pat's daughter and Bertie's daughter. She was your daughter, your little sister. She was a child of Ireland in the time of its rebirth.

I am crying, writing this. How can you cry for someone you've only once said hello to? Katy was the daughter of our dreams, in the sense that it was the dreams of her people that gave birth to what is tritely called her celebrity. We have these words to box off the lucky/unlucky ones who act out our fantasies, while we stick safely to the grandstand. We refer to them as celebs, implying a different species. But they are human beings, filled like the rest of us with desire, distinguished only by willingness/ opportunity to rush in where others fear to tread.

The old saw has it wrong: those who volunteer to act out our fantasies in public are both fools and angels. Driven by longing beyond knowing, their folly arises from a failure of awareness, experience, wisdom.

Driven by angelic recall, they plod on clay feet into the mire of three-dimensional reality. They do not know, are not conscious, that their appetites are infinitely greater than the world's capacity to satisfy them.

Katy French was a personification of our fantasies, of our sense of what we were becoming, of how we might unfold ourselves. She was not the only one, but in the immediate past was perhaps the most spectacular light on the skyline, a meteorite of desire plummeting through the Irish zeitgeist. You may dismiss it as frivolity but only, with respect, if you think in cliches and fixate on the superficial. For most of us, it is not wisdom that keeps us from danger, but lack of opportunity, or fear, or a deadly piety posing as virtue. Katy had found a way of being that promised her it could slake all her human cravings. She had manoeuvred herself into a position where everything humanly desirable seemed to be within reach, and was careering forward on the path opening up in front of her.

She did not, other than literally, die of whatever it will say on her death certificate. She died of desire, of being utterly human.

What can I say? The dream is over.

As for lessons, I don't know. In the past decade, we have, most of us, conducted searches for meaning in places previously inaccessible to us. We acquired means and freedom beyond our wildest.

We knew that money couldn't buy us love, but still gave it a shot. We sensed that freedom is a complicated word, but tried to keep it simple. Be, for tomorrow we die.

As Pope Benedict reminds us in his new encyclical, we have no idea what we would really like. "We do not know this reality at all; even in those moments when we think we can reach out and touch it, it eludes us." All we know is that it is not what we have.

God is a concept by which we measure our longings.

I'll say it again.

God is a concept by which we measure our longings.

As Katy did not comprehend the limits of her human capacity to pursue her angelic yearnings, neither, anymore, do the rest of us. If we did, she might be alive. Our culture left her struggling for life, because we have neglected to keep it alive with the knowledge of what it means to be human.

Katy's death was the result not just of her foolishness, but of our collective helplessness. We do not know what to say to our children as we kiss their brows before allowing them into a world utterly, terribly changed, because that is what we desired. We do not understand the meaning of freedom.

And so, dear friends, we'll just have to think it up all over again. The dream is over. Our daughter Katy is dead. And so too, and not by the way, are our sons Kevin Doyle and John Grey. The dream is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Kevin Myers, horrible person.

Agreed; he has nasty views on Michael Collins

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

This is the single worst thing ever committed to print in this country.
    Worse than any of Barry Egans vapid witterings. Worse than any of Niamh Horans emptyheaded nonsense.

How or why? I'm no fan of John Waters but he seems to be paying tribute to someone who died too young.

Tomaldo wrote: »
    How or why? I'm no fan of John Waters but he seems to be paying tribute to someone who died too young.

She died by her own hand. She took cocaine, she knew the risks. This isn't someone being tragically hit by a car. Or succumbing to an illness after all treatment options were gone.

She used cocaine. She was one of many who used cocaine. Her death is no more tragic than the thousands who die worldwide, despite the warnings, because they took drugs.

If you want to talk tragic-look at all the innocent people who get murdered every year by the very gangs she helped fund.

Anthony Campbell was 20 years old-he was an innocent bystander who was shot dead because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Nobody's ever been charged for his murder.

He's tragic. He didn't deserve what happened to him.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/still-no-justice-for-innocent-plumber-20-shot-dead-ten-years-ago-today-35286696.html

Kacey O'Riordan or the journal

She died by her own hand. She took cocaine, she knew the risks. This isn't someone being tragically hit by a car. Or succumbing to an illness after all treatment options were gone.

She used cocaine. She was one of many who used cocaine. Her death is no more tragic than the thousands who die worldwide, despite the warnings, because they took drugs.

If you want to talk tragic-look at all the innocent people who get murdered every year by the very gangs she helped fund.

Anthony Campbell was 20 years old-he was an innocent bystander who was shot dead because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Nobody's ever been charged for his murder.

He's tragic. He didn't deserve what happened to him.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/still-no-justice-for-innocent-plumber-20-shot-dead-ten-years-ago-today-35286696.html
    I agree, Anthony Campbell didn't deserve to die nor did Katy. Prohibition caused both their deaths. If u want to get rid of these evil gangs then legalization has to be tried, if not, these gangs will continue to thrive 'cos people get enjoyment from cocaine and over 99% of users do NOT die from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I agree, Anthony Campbell didn't deserve to die nor did Katy. Prohibition caused both their deaths. If u want to get rid of these evil gangs then legalization has to be tried, if not, these gangs will continue to thrive 'cos people get enjoyment from cocaine and over 99% of users do NOT die from it.

Didn’t deserve to die , but the ‘choices’ they made were behind the reason they did.

Prohibition was not responsible for them dying. Them choosing to procure and use an illegal substance was...

Legalizing it ?

You’ll have it more freely available, it will be normalized, so you’ll have more people using, more people addicted, the intensely negative social impacts, health impacts, addiction, using driving etc....

No way in the world legalize it.

Don’t do it...simple... want a relaxant ? See your doctor... want a good night out, have a few beers / wines within reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ireland's worst journalist is Brenda Power.

• Finoun Sheehan
    I remember him on the Vincent Brown show declaring that 'Kenny was gone' when there was a heave in the party against him. He lasted another 6 years.
    Even though he was utterly wrong he got promoted shortly after.
    These people are media engineers. It's all about keeping a high profile, getting on the top tv and radio shows.
    Journalism is dead in the western world.
    Look at the US Whitehouse Corp. They can't handle the fact Trump has gone and they are reporting on a regular boring president now.

Strumms wrote: »
    Didn’t deserve to die , but the ‘choices’ they made were behind the reason they did.

Prohibition was not responsible for them dying. Them choosing to procure and use an illegal substance was...

Legalizing it ?

You’ll have it more freely available, it will be normalized, so you’ll have more people using, more people addicted, the intensely negative social impacts, health impacts, addiction, using driving etc....

No way in the world legalize it.

Don’t do it...simple... want a relaxant ? See your doctor... want a good night out, have a few beers / wines within reason...

I love the way anti-drug supporters try to pass off opinions as fact when they're talking about the future, will u lend me ur crystal ball, I wanna clean the bookies out. Have a few beers, alcohol kills far more people than cocaine and that's regulated with quality controls and hygiene standards etc unlike the production of coke. As this thread is about journalists, one of them who was on that LLS said u can't get good coke in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Killian Woods in the SBP, the only journo they have that i don't like. He masks his own political opinions as news, and has on at least two occasions recently left out key elements that are necessary to understand the story fully, funnily enough those elements would lead you to conclude something that was only half true, but which suits his own beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I love the way anti-drug supporters try to pass off opinions as fact when they're talking about the future, will u lend me ur crystal ball, I wanna clean the bookies out. Have a few beers, alcohol kills far more people than cocaine and that's regulated with quality controls and hygiene standards etc unlike the production of coke. As this thread is about journalists, one of them who was on that LLS said u can't get good coke in Dublin.

Alcohol kills more people then coke because alcohol is freely available... cars kill more people then coke too, same reason....coke becomes more freely available and affordable? Watch the fûck out...

Richie Sadlier, Rte soccer pundit and Irish Times ‘lifestyle’ columnist... appears like he’s maybe a nice guy outside of the sphere of his profession but too slow to listen to the views of others and often imho misguided in his judgements....

Strumms wrote: »
    Alcohol kills more people then coke because alcohol is freely available... cars kill more people then coke too, same reason....coke becomes more freely available and affordable? Watch the fûck out...

Richie Sadlier, Rte soccer pundit and Irish Times ‘lifestyle’ columnist... appears like he’s maybe a nice guy outside of the sphere of his profession but too slow to listen to the views of others and often imho misguided in his judgements....

You or me don't know what will happen if coke is more freely available/legal, it may lead to fewer deaths 'cos of quality control standards etc. Back on topic, Richie Sadlier is an ex footballer trying to earn a living at punditry/journalism, sometimes I agree with him, not always. I didn't know he wrote for the IT, so I can't debate that with you.

You or me don't know what will happen if coke is more freely available/legal, it may lead to fewer deaths 'cos of quality control standards etc. Back on topic, Richie Sadlier is an ex footballer trying to earn a living at punditry/journalism, sometimes I agree with him, not always. I didn't know he wrote for the IT, so I can't debate that with you.

Sadler was one of the few to talk about the John Delaney/ FAI debacle. And be honest about it.

That and discussing sexual abuse was quite brave of him. There's been calls for more open discussion of molestation/ sexual abuse in the world of sport.
    We know that it's been quite a problem, between the Larry Nassar conviction, to the suicide of Gary Speed (who was abused by Barry Bennell, according to other victims of Bennell).
    People who are trying to make it to the big leagues are easily open to manipulation and abuse.

aaronc182 wrote: »
    Kacey O'Riordan or the journal

Did she ever actually apologise for the school in carlow thing ?

Did she ever actually apologise for the school in carlow thing ?

Not that I'm aware of.. She's gone very quite since

aaronc182 wrote: »
    Not that I'm aware of.. She's gone very quite since

Thats shameful if she hasn’t the decency to do that…

Ewan MacKenna, not even a good sports journalist any more , here alluding that Ronaldo and co. takes PEDs.

https://twitter.com/ewanmackenna/status/1410871699688640513?s=21

This isnt even the daftest thing he has said this morning …

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

Miriam O'Callaghan and Claire Byrne if they count as journalists.

Absolutely pathetic the pair of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Its an appaling piece of writing for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Economics101

Looking over the posts, it seems that every journalist in Ireland has been nominated for this particular Oscar.

At times I would agree with a wide share-out of the prize, but can we have a winner?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement