Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blackrock Park is being wrecked

Options
  • 26-10-2020 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Today (Sunday 25th Oct) I walked through Blackrock Park for the first time in a few months. I was shocked to see that a motorway-style ribbon of asphalt is being driven through what was until now a lovely park with a good proportionate use of limited space.

There is already a perfectly adequate path through the park with space for pedestrians and cyclists. There is no need whatever, in terms of the park itself, for that path to be widened.

I can only speculate that this road, which is what it is, is being built to facilitate cycle commuting instead of taking space for that purpose from the main road.

Whether or not that explanation is the correct one, there is no doubt that the park is being visually wrecked. Shame on DLR council for yet another example of its famously bad environmental planning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Faridaweeda

Today (Sunday 25th Oct) I walked through Blackrock Park for the first time in a few months. I was shocked to see that a motorway-style ribbon of asphalt is being driven through what was until now a lovely park with a good proportionate use of limited space.

There is already a perfectly adequate path through the park with space for pedestrians and cyclists. There is no need whatever, in terms of the park itself, for that path to be widened.

I can only speculate that this road, which is what it is, is being built to facilitate cycle commuting instead of taking space for that purpose from the main road.

Whether or not that explanation is the correct one, there is no doubt that the park is being visually wrecked. Shame on DLR council for yet another example of its famously bad environmental planning.

Relax

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

“You need to calm down” Taylor swift.

Bikes don’t belong beside HGV, a pedestrian is 70kg , a bike and cyclists is 80kg, a car and one occupant is 1500kg.

The main question is have they finally slapt a CPO on the land by the dart station that path is far to narrow

I think it’s funny that you haven’t been there in months. Yet there’s daily users for which the current sat up does t work. You are owed no apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭karlitob

Relax

Agreed.

And there’s very little room for both cyclists and pedestrians. They should segregate both so cyclists can enjoy cycling and walkers waking and everyone can get along nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Today (Sunday 25th) I was shocked to see that a motorway-style ribbon of asphalt

50 metres wide then is it, you know, like a motorway?

You do know that everytime someone rants online about a motorway through the Phoenix Park or whatever, just because there are some cars about, it just stops people reading then and there?

Yeah shame on the Council for working a solution to protect all modes of transport as safely as possible. They should be marched naked up Killiney Hill ringing a bell. Shame...SHAME!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Honestly the past few months there has been barely enough room for pedestrians as it was, if you are trying to keep any bit of distance and the massively increased footfall. It's disruptive at the moment obviously but will be fantastic when it is built and still lots of green space left!

Would love to see a few coffee kiosks and the like there mind you - would do really well from walkers and cyclists having a pitstop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭vrusinov

ted1 wrote: »
    The main question is have they finally slapt a CPO on the land by the dart station that path is far to narrow

+1, that would have been nice. It's the only awkward place of what would have pretty much fully segregated path from Booterstown on Dun Laoghaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Seems trivial compared to the deranged installation of cycle lanes everywhere else. The full effect of this sh*tsandwich wont be realised until covid is over and everyone tries to get to work again

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Motorists: "feckin cyclists, would they ever get off the road"
    Pedestrians: "feckin cyclists almost nearly killing me on the path. They should be on the road"
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The Rock Road is a disaster of maniacal drivers bombing it along like it’s a motorway, and zero speed enforcement of course. So it makes a lot of sense to provide a safe way to get along this section on a bike, especially given the number of schools in the area.

Putting all the planned DCC and DLRCC mobility schemes together, you would be able to travel from Ringsend to Sandycove on a bike without once having to be put in danger by one of the countless selfish car drivers out there.

And then there’s the three major cycling routes that DLRCC have planned, which will create a great network of safe routes. Cannot wait.

By the way, there are more significant plans for Blackrock Park that this path widening is the beginning of. I believe they’re already starting to convert that unused car park beside the car dealership into a skate park/natural play area.

Truthvader wrote: »
    Seems trivial compared to the deranged installation of cycle lanes everywhere else. The full effect of this sh*tsandwich wont be realised until covid is over and everyone tries to get to work again
    How is it deranged?
    We've allowed ourselves to become dependent on the car. This in turn has led to urban sprawl, health issues and costs more. We prioritise cars over public transport. Yet you don't think that's deranged?

• Advertisement

How is it deranged?
    We've allowed ourselves to become dependent on the car. This in turn has led to urban sprawl, health issues and costs more. We prioritise cars over public transport. Yet you don't think that's deranged?

Surprisingly most people dont want to cycle. Plus for many it is not an option. Older people, people with shopping, bringing tools to work, books and files etc etc. Cycling is a nice Summer fantasy for some but a grim backward miserable reality come Winter. Anyway keep on keeping on. I usually get banned for posting any contrary view. Remember me when covid is gone and everyone tries to get to work again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

The cycle lanes that are being rolled out by DLR council are an absolute credit to them.

It’s far better for society for the park to be opened up for the safe enjoyment of passing cyclists, then kept exclusively for the privileged few.

The new cycling facilities right up to sandy cove are so good for society, that I would be tempted bring any Trumpist visiting Americans over there to show them how some extra social tax dollars should be spent , for the benefit of all.

Well done DLR coco

Surprisingly most people dont want to cycle. Plus for many it is not an option. Older people, people with shopping, bringing tools to work, books and files etc etc. Cycling is a nice Summer fantasy for some but a grim backward miserable reality come Winter. Anyway keep on keeping on. I usually get banned for posting any contrary view. Remember me when covid is gone and everyone tries to get to work again
    I never suggested that everyone should cycle nor do I expect them to.
    However, just to correct your usual juvenile comments: it is quite easy to carry loads on a bike whether that's shopping, tools, books or whatever. People do it here and in other countries.
    As for the weather, there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing!

Just remember that more people travel into the city centre on bikes than by car. Similarly more travel by bus than car. Yet we think the car should have priority? Try defend that policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Well we all seem to be agreed that valuable amenity space in the park is being sacrificed to facilitate cycle commuting.

The thinking behind that can only be that existing road space must and will be preserved for motor vehicles. It therefore seems that the cycling community have allowed themselves to become willing dupes in this sleight of hand move to keep motor traffic flowing freely into and out of Blackrock.

In the process, everybody has lost a sense of space and leisure that the park is meant to provide.

Just by the way, own view on commuting is that public transport is the key to Dublin's commuting problems.

I never suggested that everyone should cycle nor do I expect them to.
    However, just to correct your usual juvenile comments: it is quite easy to carry loads on a bike whether that's shopping, tools, books or whatever. People do it here and in other countries.
    As for the weather, there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing!

Just remember that more people travel into the city centre on bikes than by car. Similarly more travel by bus than car. Yet we think the car should have priority? Try defend that policy.

Who mentioned priority? The City hss been destroyed by cycle lanes which are only part of a long anti car policy. Even with that about 10% of cyclists make a point of not using them. You've won though. Only point I am making is that it is sh1t for everyone else and that the real sh1ttyness wont be evident until covid ends and normal people try to get to work or kids to school

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

karlitob wrote: »
    Agreed.

And there’s very little room for both cyclists and pedestrians. They should segregate both so cyclists can enjoy cycling and walkers waking and everyone can get along nicely.

I've tried so many times to cycle shared cycle/walking paths and I would have been quicker leaving the bike at home. There's on stretch by the canal in Limerick where the cycle and walking paths are separated by grass, different colours and have drawings on the paths to say which is which and still the pedestrians are all over both and don't bother getting out of the way when on the cycle path

I cycle with my shopping. I also have books in my bag when I cycle to work in the cold and wet winter

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I cycle with my shopping. I also have books in my bag when I cycle to work in the cold and wet winter

I know. I often see you wobbling through the drving rain trying to hold on to your wet bag of shopping and maintain your balance in your sodden cloths as I drive by listening to the radio.

But sure cycling is better. We all know that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Get on the bus both of you.

I know. I often see you wobbling through the drving rain trying to hold on to your wet bag of shopping and maintain your balance in your sodden cloths as I drive by listening to the radio.

Each to their own is my motto. I love my cycling and I'm glad you enjoy your car.

And a tip to any cyclists out there. Don't try hold onto your shopping as these new fangled backpacks are well worth the money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I laugh at the poor suckers stuck in their cars on the rock road as I pass them sitting in their cars. Shopping at j a back pack or panniers,
    Great way to preventing coronary heart disease.

As for sodden clothes. Not an issue I wear appropriate clothes. And it’s really enjoyable cycling, running or swimming in the rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Not to mention that cycling is a form of fitness activity and new cycling amenities help people of all ages keep fit when gyms or sports are unavailable.

ted1 wrote: »
    I laugh at the poor suckers stuck in their cars on the rock road as I pass them sitting in their cars. Shopping at j a back pack or panniers,
    Great way to preventing coronary heart disease.

As for sodden clothes. Not an issue I wear appropriate clothes. And it’s really enjoyable cycling, running or swimming in the rain

Try not to sound so hysterically desparate

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Deadwards.com

Well we all seem to be agreed that valuable amenity space in the park is being sacrificed to facilitate cycle commuting.

The thinking behind that can only be that existing road space must and will be preserved for motor vehicles. It therefore seems that the cycling community have allowed themselves to become willing dupes in this sleight of hand move to keep motor traffic flowing freely into and out of Blackrock.

In the process, everybody has lost a sense of space and leisure that the park is meant to provide.

Just by the way, own view on commuting is that public transport is the key to Dublin's commuting problems.

Interesting to note that you haven't used the park in a few months yet feel like you have an expert opinion in the uses it should provide.

As a weekly user I think this amendment is going to be great for all. The current / in the process of being upgraded shared cycle way and path has been too narrow for far too long. People walking in opposite directions often step into the cycle way. I use t as both a pedestrian and cyclist btw.

Additionally the plan for these upgrade works have been available to view and object to on the Dlrcoco site for some time so if you are / were unhappy with the upgrade works, I'd suggest taking it up with them rather than objecting on a discussion forum.

Also for what's it's worth having cycled the rock road daily for a number of years, I am delighted that we will soon be able to avoid some of it. Drivers bombing down the bus lane during the evening commute is not something for the faint of heart on a bike.

Busses are handy for a lot of the population but from my own experience having both bussed and cycled, I find the cycle far better both from a health perspective as well as providing some head space following a busy work day.

Just my own 2c

strandroad wrote: »
    Not to mention that cycling is a form of fitness activity and new cycling amenities help people of all ages keep fit when gyms or sports are unavailable.

I'll have to check out this Blackrock park when I finally get back to Dublin for a day. Sounds like a lovely place for a healthy cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Can't wait for the first lawsuit when speeding cyclist knocks over Grandmother on her daily stroll to feed the ducks . Going to be an even more ridiculously expensive cycle track.

Can't wait for the first lawsuit when speeding cyclist knocks over Grandmother on her daily stroll to feed the ducks . Going to be an even more ridiculously expensive cycle track.

No different than if a granny walks out on front of a car on a road really is it

Cyclists routinely cycle into pedestrians because regardless of cycle lanes they cycle wherever it suits them. They then just cycle away. No reg plates so they do as they please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭karlitob

I think that’s a fair thing to ask. I would only say that perhaps we’re not supposed to go back to the way it was. People should cycle to local areas or work from home. Not to have the same amount of cars as there previously was. I’m not a climate change warrior or anything like that. Only that if there was ever a time to try it out - it’s now. And then listen to the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

There have been strolling grandmothers, among others, and cyclists travelling at various speeds sharing that path for decades so what's going to change? Apart from the path being widened to make it safer.

Advertisement