Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post pics of your watches Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Dev1234

King Samurai with a red/orange strap, not fully sure what colour it is!!

Love the watch and the strap is comfortable.

I've a dark blue/navy strap that I need to take for a spin soon

(Those with an OCD mindset please avert your gaze away from the date!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Ian OB

I'll just presume you're prolonging Christmas 🎅🥳🎅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

You see, this is the issue.

IMHO, some watches have become icons in themselves, transcending the brand from which they grew.

The Submariner, the Cosmograph, the Speedmaster, the Pogue, the Astronaut, the Monaco - all, it could be argued, have gone beyond their makers to become design icons.

As such, all of these watches, to a greater or lesser extent, have become the subject of homage treatments, some successfully, some not.

If you think about the Submariner, when it came out, it was not a luxury item. Indeed, some of the best and most highly prized examples are the military or industrial ones, such as the Comex branded tool watches issued to actual divers. Or, the fact that Omegas and Rolex were made available to service people via surplus or base stores at heavily discounted prices, usually because they were robust and reliable.

While today's Subs are vastly superior to their forebears, they are not 10, 20 or 30k watches in their utility sense.

There are probably homages, such as the Steinharts, that are closer to the spirit of the original than a rose gold, or diamond encrusted version put out by the original maker.

I am not singling out Rolex here, all watch makers seem to have gone down this route, and I'm not condemning anyone for it.

My point is that to get the experience of a design icon, one doesn't necessarily need to have an original. When originals are far beyond the reach of most enthusiasts, a good homage can still deliver a large part of the experience at a fraction of the price.

However, the power of the brand cannot be underestimated.

For me, I have a TAG Heuer because as a child I was captivated by Formula 1, and that brand is irrevocably intertwined with it. TAG Heuer developed the basis for what is the modern timing system for all high performance motorsport.

The Speedmaster heritage needs no run out here, but the Mark II, for me is the best one because it was designed with the astronauts feedback and aim of going beyond the moon to living and working in space. The tragedy of never being flight qualified by NASA just adds to the mystique. The Accutron Astronaut being the only watch that would work in the A-12/SR-71 cockpit assures it a place in the horological firmament,

So then to Rolex, and brand is double edged sword.

Despite its current F1 sponsorship, Rolex, as a brand, for me perosnally, holds no value at all. By the time I was exposed to it, it had already become the watch of ****. And I mean that in the Harry Enfield, 'Loadsa Money' sense, not that any one who aspires to owning one is, well, one.

Despite early forays into aviation, exploration and certain types of motorsport, Rolex, for me, has never achieved what Heuer did in motorsport, Omega in space, or Breitling in aviation.

For me, personally, I have no desire to own a Rolex.

I fully acknowledge that this is my subjective, interpretive, experiential impression, and as such is one opinion among the multitude, but it is mine and has not changed after viewing and wearing Rolex watches. (A mate has a Hulk and another a gold Datejust).

I'm always delighted to read and engage with people who derive great pleasure from a brand, a marque or a specific example of any watch, of whatever brand. I have a modern Sekonda my wife gave me, with a Seiko movement that is of tremendous sentimental value, though I am fully aware that value doubles every time I change the battery.

I like the Elgin, because it looks and wears like a vintage Submariner. It also looks like a Rolex.

Long-winded and verbose, this is my thinking and my reasoning, if that isn't too strong a term, for why I wanted a Sub homage, but still don't want, nor have ever contemplated, having a Rolex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Wow, the best summation of the topic I have as of yet read online. You do know of course there are the archie luxury types who will just say you're wearing shi11ers unless it's a (insert token of status), or that your a hater or worse still that you're not well off enough. Somehow I imagine it will fall on deaf ears.

A recent purchase of my San Martin Gmt is a perfect example of what you have succinctly described above. It's a joy to wear, as I'm sure the bb Pro or rolex explorer is too but I have a life outside watches with other expensive passions as do you. That and I'm not stupid, they're massively overpriced and the AD system is imo reprehensible and laughable simultaneously.

To just undo my point... I recently sold to mates a few steel dive willards with applied seiko logos to sterile dials. Likewise the king turtle prospex Ltd edits. They were all aware of what they're buying obvs. I made a small profit which I put towards buying the actual watch I was copying at six times the price and I'm delighted with it, despite needing serious regulating, crystal removing to align the chapter ring and likewise the bezel insert. I've even bought a z199 uncle seiko bracelet which I'm eagerly hoping lands today after paying the custom fees Tues...

So my point being, homages can indeed spur you on to buy the oem. It's much like marrying someone blind, no thanks, want to know someone move in with them first!

My last point is a line in the sand for me. My all time grail watch is the Speedmaster Moonwatch, a watch as a child I oogled in jewelers windows at. A buddy showed me his DH copy which frankly is amazing, on his wrist you'd be hard pressed to cry foul. But I've no intention of buying a copy, if I ever wear a speedmaster it will be real.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Allwheelsgood

Its OK, your secret relationship with Rolex will be safe with us..... as a closet admirer.

I saw Rolex as a brand to aspire to in my innocence and naviety. I first got a Datejust and sold it on Donedeal in the early 90's. It was eventually replaced with a new Submariner Blusey in the mid 90's. It has been in my possession ever since, worn many times but never loved like I expected it to be. Recently tried to use it again by changing the bracelet to a RubberB strap.... no, still didnt work for me, consigned to the drawer again.... and now to be sold.

My everyday watch was a Citizen promaster dive watch as I was scuba diving weekly at the time. (Dived with the Rolex a couple of times but could never justify the chance of losing it to the big blue.) Recently the Citizen died and has been replaced with a Sinn U1 black Teg which is my new daily and very happy I am.

Watches are a strange relationship........ enjoy whatever makes you happy!

• Advertisement

@Allwheelsgood "Watches are a strange relationship... enjoy whatever makes you happy!"

+1 to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

“That and I am not stupid”.

Ironic given you criticise Archie types while simultaneously insulting every Rolex owner as being “stupid”……

I am not a Rolex owner but by your definition I am certainly stupid! 😀. I chase the very highest quality I can afford.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Despite early forays into aviation, exploration and certain types of motorsport, Rolex, for me, has never achieved what Heuer did in motorsport, Omega in space, or Breitling in aviation.

Rolex were always more a brand of suburban Britain and her once empire, that then went worldwide from the 60's on. They were quite a small outfit with a narrow range of offerings. Originally their "Oyster" was the core, with a few variations on that theme and tiny runs of chronographs and even tinier runs of (very nice)oddballs triple date moonphases and the like. The Datejust was their dress watch for the most part. Then the Explorer became their core and kinda remains that way even down to today. The Sub was/is basically an Explorer with a bezel. They were the "fashion" marketing brand long before the mechanical revival of the 80's and 90's, much more than a "great Swiss house" brand. It clearly worked and works very well too. They are the aspirational watch for the average person.

But of course our perceptions skew things too. So the movement in your Accutron had far more actual space utility at the height of the Space Race than your Omega. And Omega, Longines and Zenith had far more aviation history than Breitling could dream of. Then again Patek brought out a pilot's watch to rave reviews while claiming a history in the type. A history that consisted of one pocketwatch and two wrist Hour Angle rippoffs to an exact prewar nazi German Air Ministry spec, that were never delivered. So... though they leave the air ministry bit out of their bumpf, as did IWC with their Big Pilot. Hey, buy the watch that helped blitzkreig! said no marketing guy ever. Well maybe in 60's Arrgentina... 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I apologise for insulting you. I should have been clearer, I would deem myself stupid if I paid what rolex are asking for a rolex these days as I consider them overinflated price wise. Much like tulipmania imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭scwazrh

If you think about the Submariner, when it came out, it was not a luxury item

Most tool items if around long enough will become luxury items .Its not really a negative against it.A land rover defender was the ultimate basic utilitarian vehicle and now a decent one will cost near €100k .Very common in clothing brands as well , north face jackets were not originally designed for teenagers to crave as a fashion statement.Yet none of us are driving around in homage land rover defenders but granted half the north face jackets are fake , a bit like putting a seiko logo on a sterile dial.

However, the power of the brand cannot be underestimated.

For me, personally, I have no desire to own a Rolex.

I like the Elgin, because it looks and wears like a vintage Submariner. It also looks like a Rolex.

So fair to say you like the watch just not the brand which i can understand .To use the north face example , I like a warm coat but Id never wear a north face one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Thick AF !

A clever man would have bought a San Martin and a fake seiko

instead you went and bought a Patek and a Lange & Sohne....What where you thinking ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Interesting comments, I had a couple of Steinhart to see how I like the look ( compared to Rolex). I just didn’t like it.

Likewise Seamaster.. just don’t like skeleton hands with a dot on top.

I have a cracking Seiko SZSC004 and a Steinhart GP LE, both of which I have had for a while and won’t get rid of.

I sold my IWC to meet other needs and now regret that.

A good Flieger is next and that’s me done. ( well that’s the intention)

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

I might be selling my stowa flieger soon if you'd be interested? Manual wind. Unitas movement

Cheers,

Mick

I don’t own one so I am excluded.

so I am not not at all insulted and wouldn’t be if I did own one really. Just slightly amused at the reverse snobbery.

Snobbery is bad in your post. Reverse snobbery is ok. Lol

I am stupid and greedy. Should have flipped the Patek at the top. I knew it was the top.

But I love it and what really ducked me was the 25 year anniversary and talk of discontinuation. Greed! But even then I may not have sold. Like I said I like the watch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Speaking of German Air ministry watches... Hasn't had that much wrist time of late. I forgot how daftly accurate it was.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I'm beginning to look a lot more closely at those simple three two-handers with the small seconds. Longines brought out a version recently, but it was a ridiculous 43mm. I would be quite opposite-of-adverse to something with a small seconds, preferably not new and not near 43mm.

In the meantime, I've an incoming IWC Mark XV which I'm looking forward to (if the Dutch guy ever puts it in the mail)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Stupid sexy Rolex Fans

Post edited by Fitz II on

One of my regrets is not buying one of the 50's issued ones when the prices weren't daft. Like 1000-1500 quid not daft. Then again when they weren't daft there were also horror stories of frankenwatches, wrong crowns etc and this was before the scholarship ramped up. Chances are I would have bought a dogs dinner. 😁 Still they are a gorgeous design and IWC make some lovely movements too and have great records going back to the egg. And an example of a company that were hugely popular in both vintage and new markets who have nigh on vanished from the Current Trends.

• Advertisement

What’s size is she? @micks_address

See.. I think 43mm is bang on for a flieger. When I had my IWC , it was 43mm and perfect, easy to read the dial..thus why a lot of WWII were really big.. 45mm +

I’d say your incoming IWC is small?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

Oddly enough DT it was as much a geographical/cultural thing. The bulk of Europe tended towards big pilot's watches, 38-40mm+, the German B-Uhrs tapping out at 55mm. However the British didn't. They were more like 35mm, or smaller. In America pre war watches like Longines Hour Angles were big buggers 50mm kinda thing, but by the war itself American pilot's watches were well under 35mm. Longines even sold a 28mm Hour Angle(of sorts). Maybe that was part of the plan; if you could read the thing at arms length your eyesight was deemed good enough to be a pilot. 😁

A large part(no pun) of the drive for bigger watches was simply more accuracy with the tech of the time. Slap in a pocketwatch movement with the much larger balance and accuracy was more achievable out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Beauty Mick - pm me a price?

Not like I need to buy more of your watches or anything 😂

wowzers.. some great info there..can’t see the benefit of a 28mm Flieger.. surely things like vibration would have an effect when looking at it.

I'd agree. I suspect by WW2, few enough pilots wore specific "pilot's watches" and wore shop bought watches that looked military, or just wore their civilian watches.

The B-Uhrs for example though known today as Flieger(pilot) are navigator's watches. Beobachtungsuhren – B-Uhren(observational watches). Navigators needed accurate timepieces for their job, but even there they were also using radio vectoring and timekeeping too. Actually issued specific pilots watches among WW2 forces are scarce enough. The UK Air Ministry watches being one. In general fighter pilots needed a watch to tell them the time outside the cockpit. Some did look for chronographs. The German fighter pilots for example, who bought Hanhart flyback chronos and may have bought them at the unit level. One reason in the Battle of Britain was their mount's very much reduced flying and fighting time over the UK so they needed to keep an eye on that(other than the Japanese Zero and the later Mustang which could both run on the smell of an oily rag, most fighters were high performance interceptors with very limited range. For the Germans this was made worse by their command's insistence they should fly at the same - inefficient for them - speed as their bombers).

Post war and for the jet age specific Pilot type watches were issued alright; the Dodane, Auricoste etc French XX series, the Zenith, Breitling and Leonidas CP's for the Italian fighter and helicopter jockeys, the various examples for the German airforce, Heuer, Hanhart, Junghans, later on Tutima etc.

These type of watches were (pretty much)all two register chronographs to a set pattern, 38-43mm, black arabic numeral dials, radium/tritium lume, bidirectional rotating bezels and handwound with the flyback complication. The latter was seen as vital for instrument flying which needed to be accurate to the second, where having to stop and reset the chrono would add seconds that could throw navigation off, or when following a radio signal, again to the second. Funny enough very few chronographs on their aircraft's dashboards had this function.

The UK had some non chronograph pilot's watches like those IWC and Omegas, but again these seemed to have been much more aimed at navigators. Watches like GMT's were squarely aimed at the civilian airline pilots of the new jet age because they were often changing timezones and would have been as much use as tits on a bull to the fighter jockeys, because if they had crossed timezones they were likely lost, running on fumes and about to land in the Soviet Union. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Ian OB

So, its time to try & sort this out. Hope all these aren't needed.

They weren't thank God. A few new words were invented though. Unfortunately, the replacement stem is a bit on the long side.

I'll come back to it next weekend.

Quick update on the Elgin.

Despite the robust, near agricultural nature of the Miyota 21-jewel 8215 movement, after I adjusted the beat error to 0, it now runs between +2 and +3 on the wrist over the last 4 days. So even though the amplitude suggests the mainspring might be fairly old, it is running pretty well.

And while it most definitely exhibits the flaw/charming feature of a noisy rotor, it hasn't displayed, as yet, the second hand stutter that it is also sometimes noted for.

That's a win all round, methinks.

There is one oddity, though, The lovely blue lume is still quite strong, except for one index, which is completely dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Yep, small for a flieger at 38mm. The Mark XII (and Mark XI) before it was 36mm; the Mark XVI after it was 39mm. And from then on they went 40mm+ as far as I can see. There is still 36mm model though, and a 39mm, but they are by far in the minority.

I used to like larger watches (up to a 44.25mm Omega), but after wearing the 36mm Datejust and Explorer I kind of got used to the smaller size, to the extent that even the normal enough 42mm Speedmaster seemed too big. It's not, but my head went there. So, now I'm 40mm max.

I'm looking forward to this IWC - the larger sizes always put me off them, so I was delighted to find a 38mm.

Post edited by fulladapipes on

Advertisement