Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Happy Birthday Wibbs. doing anything nice?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ah thanks Fitz. 😊 Not really. Just chillin' really. Some years I've forgotten and had to be reminded of it so...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

You should buy a watch to celebrate :)

The bond Bronson Seamaster was the first watch I remember seeing in an AD at an age when spending 1000 punts on a watch didnt seem like an unachievable goal. I though Brosnan was cool and he looked cool wearing a watch. When I got my first few pay checks I toddled off to Weirs and bought one and wore that watch for a decade. It was a quartz cause it was a bit cheaper, and I gave it to my dad who never had a good watch and he wears it to this day (he has it in for service at the moment). I think if you are in that 35-55 year bracket that watch certainly soaked into your subconscious, the marketing at the time was incredible.

These days the same watch might be a BB58, the new seamaster is too expensive, and too many variations to focus the imagination of the young lads nose pressed to weirs window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

If age is compared to the watch journey I’m still on seiko or maybe my first Tag heuer

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

After traveling back and forward from Japan a couple of times.... It Finally Arrived!

Posted in much greater detail over on the Bellmatics section [Link]

Basically, the" Business Bell" was a limited run of Bell-Matics with the Business Bell on the dial using the 4006-7010

However, back in 2015 a post featured a 4006-7000 with a Business Bell dial with a unique dial code 7030T vs the 7040T found on the 7010 models.

Know as "The forgotten Business Bell",I haven't seen another example to come up anywhere, Richard Askham has never even heard of one, nor has John Bentley.

Both mine and the only other one to come up are dated, May 1967

Fitted the bracelet from my January 1967 4006-7000 as it would of been the same one fitted originally

Very relieved to finally have it safe and sound. Another unique Bell to join the ever growing collection!

More Pictures [Link]

Thank You,

Keith.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And I'm a hundred years old. 😮😂

I do think while watch nutters are all collectors there's a broad set of types within it. These broad types were always in the mix too, but the ascendant changes over time. There's the collect a load of watches for the sake of having many. There's the interested in the history/horology alone. There's the luxury guys. There's the brand guys too. There's some overlap of course because you'll have luxury guys who are into the history/horology and history/horology guys who only collect luxury vintage stuff and so on, but while the collecting nuttery is strong in all there are generally different reasons and aims. The more pure investment guys and/or the flex guys have always been in play , and in every niche with it. I generally discount them though as in my experience anyway they don't last too long in the hobby. A couple of years tops and they almost never have a collector trajectory either.

TL;DR? We're all quite mad.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭banie01

TBH, if mental age matters? I should be down the back with my communion watch 😂

Irishplayer, wonderful watch and one I hope brings you immense joy! Great story to go with its travels too 😉

If it’s mental age I’m still on swatch

Jaysis IP, you've got a real talent for hunting down the bloody rare.😮 Sweet. 🙂🤘

And I was offering up prayers that your Japanese package would finally make its way to you. The Irish post at the moment for non EU packages is a bloody nightmare. I had a (non watch related) delivery from the UK go back to sender and this was cleared in triplicate with all the usual stamps and official seals of approval. 😡

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Congrats IP, (edit🎂 belated happy birthday Wibbs) well worth the wait. An post changed their system on 1st of July. See post number 24 here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058200515/an-post-returning-packages-from-outside-the-eu#latest

Post edited by blue5000 on

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭micks_address

Happy birthday wibbs..I usually take my birthday off work if it’s a working day..sometimes falls on a bank holiday weekend.. was going to say we should have a birthday party 🥳

on another thought would a zoom watch meet be weird?

happy birthday Wibbs

I see Hublot QC has improved

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nope. I'd hop on a plane meself 😂

In the past people have stated this was tax avoidance or simply all above board. Which of course it isn't. It is tax evasion as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Thanks all for the replies regarding the Forgotten Business Bell. It has been an interesting time for me regarding this hobby. Loads of new arrivals, watch related trips!

I would be interested in a Watch GTG , whether it be on zoom or with some normality returning, an in person one. TZ-UK I believe have a similar zoom style GTG every Thursday, might be something we could set up on here.

Also, Happy Birthday Wibbs! Sorry If I'm late!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Sold 2 watches this week so my watch box is looking a bit sparse, but I am on track to consolidate my collection into fewer pieces with a bit of quality.

I've been making some decisions on what will stay and what's for the chop, but this one is certainly safe! Really love the 104.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I fitted a Hirsch strap to the grand quartz 9943, so I'll be wearing this for a while to see what the body heat does to it's rate. We'll give it a month to see if it slows down from being at room temperature.

Speaking of the standby watch fund!

This week and today have been a decent week trading wise, couple of long term plays starting to really come good! Pay off the credit card and next year's holiday? Or splurge on another watch 🤔

Best not let the Mrs have a say in this one 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Book next year's holiday next time you have a good trading week 😎

So what you getting? Panerai?

If I was to buy a PAM, I'm in a quandary tbh. I really liked that 441 I had tried, honestly a stunning watch but a Radiomir handwinder is also on my radar. With a bit of luck some travel might be on the cards before Xmas so a look around some of the London dealers might be possible too.

I think it'll be clearing of the CC and paying for Mexico tho, if I do that ..

Then when I do splurge on the next watch? I can hand on heart say I had nothing else to do with the money 😂

• Advertisement

Wearing the Affordable moonwatch today .the high frequency quartz is something a bit different in a sub €400 watch

Samurai Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

I was attempting to put up a picture of a Victorinox Hunter Mach 2 which I recently picked up...but you know, new Boards...🤷‍♂️

EDIT: I suppose sideways is better than nothing. The rattrapante hand isn't moving at the moment, even though it is trying and did briefly yesterday. I'm hoping that's to do with an incorrectly sized battery as opposed to anything to do with the movement.

NTH Barracuda out on a hike this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Had a bit of a shite day, nothing drastic but a certain YT video made me put this on and a nice tipple has put a smile on my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Horses for courses. G shock is nice and light to wear cycling and the Seiko LumiBrite is handy for the night time walks with the dog! Not really essential though when I have just shy of 4000 lumens in the torch!

You don’t need the torch when the Seiko lume lights up the road like that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

TikTok myself.

Anyway, Hi everybody. (Hi Dr. Nick).

I'm in the ahem 40-60 bracket (2 years into it) and for me, the aspirational watches for 'the lads' were always Tags.

I've always found Brosnan naff. I do like the very latest Bond watch though. Would I buy it? F'ck no.

You’re phrasing that wrong .You’re like me and in the 21 - 42 bracket .Sounds much better

• Advertisement

I'm in this bracket! If it's an inclusive range? I have a year and a bit in it yet 😁

Advertisement