Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Mattie McGrath: anti - lockdown champion!

  • 23-10-2020 10:32am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭ Everlong1


    Is Mattie McGrath trying to position himself as the hero of the anti - lockdown movement? This hysterical Dail performance where he claims the restrictions are like something "under Hitler" would seem to indicate so. It's my first time to hear the bould Mattie in action. If he plans on becoming the vanguard of the resistance and rousing the masses to action with some stirring rhetoric, he'd want to do a bit of work on his thick muckah bogger accent - I can barely understand half of what he's ranting about in this clip.


    https://www.independent.ie/videos/this-wouldnt-happen-under-hitler-mattie-mcgrath-opposes-lockdown-legislation-in-dail-39658883.html


«13

Comments

  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭ mynamejeff


    grand job so mattie ,

    front and centre in the next protest and let the garda public order unit go nuts on his big potato head


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭ paw patrol


    Mattie is spot on , apart from Michael McNamara he is the only TD to question the current insanity from the government.

    The rest are absolute donkeys



    healy-rae did to a degree but was self serving cos his pub was closed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭ Hurrache


    Mattie McGrath, he's just an all round stupid prick.

    ****ing moron Godwin's his own speech, invoking mass murder and genocide when talking about a lock down. You clowns might want to research the pogroms.

    If any eejit looks at that speech in admiration, you need to revaluate your life.


  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭ Everlong1


    paw patrol wrote: »
    Mattie is spot on , apart from Michael McNamara he is the only TD to question the current insanity from the government.

    The rest are absolute donkeys



    healy-rae did to a degree but was self serving cos his pub was closed.

    There's nothing wrong with questioning the approach, but comparing the Government's actions to the Nazis and trying to whip up hysteria by invoking the ghosts of Dan Breen and co. is just fu*king ludicrous. He's coming across as similar to the American loons who are all out with their assault rifles shouting about God and country. Thankfully most Irish people have a bit more cop on.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭ paw patrol


    Hurrache wrote: »
    Mattie McGrath, he's just an all round stupid prick.

    ****ing moron Godwin's his own speech, invoking mass murder and genocide when talking about a lock down. You clowns might want to research the pogroms.

    If any eejit looks at that speech in admiration, you need to revaluate your life.


    yup I'm going to revaluate my life and what I believe because some goon on boards didn't like the imaginary in a TDs speech :rolleyes:


    Rock on Mattie. Rock on.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭ odyssey06


    Mattie, you won't have to worry about being awoken tomorrow morning at dawn to be escorted somewhere for 'your own safety'.
    Sadly, that's the difference between Ireland and Nazi Germany*. Also, obviously, the latter would clearly have gone for herd immunity.

    * Purely for the context of this post


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭ paw patrol


    Everlong1 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with questioning the approach, but comparing the Government's actions to the Nazis and trying to whip up hysteria by invoking the ghosts of Dan Breen and co. is just fu*king ludicrous. He's coming across as similar to the American loons who are all out with their assault rifles shouting about God and country. Thankfully most Irish people have a bit more cop on.


    A more reasonable response than the flute above.


    Lets discuss, we have these emergency government powers that we have been under since march2020



    wrongly imo as I value my personal freedoms and I don't think i should be beholden to the state and secondly I don't think covid is anyway as serious as the restriction would imply (this is for covid forum tbh to debate)


    But yesterday - Michael McNamara had a fantastic speech where he outlined these powers were being extended till June 2021 and the bill was being rushed through the dail with him being allowed 50seconds to discuss.


    The is a huge freedom deficit there....in both the manner these powers are being implemented and the implications to the citizens of the state. Mattie McGrath was correct in pointing out the authoritarian nature of these changes. He was 100% correct about the effects on Ireland and its' society. You might not agree with his imagery but the points are 100% valid .



    It shows our hard won freedoms (won by Dan Breen et al.) aren't as solid as we think and if that doesn't concern you , then I can't really discuss with you.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭ JohnnyFlash


    Complete gombeen.


  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ pjdarcy


    That video needs english subtitles


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭ The Raging Bile Duct


    Dr. David Nabarro, that Mattie mentioned at the beginning of his speech, from WHO was on Irish radio during the week (the Hard Shoulder?) to say that the Irish lockdown being proposed was entirely appropriate given the rise in figures. He's not against temporary lockdowns to bring the disease under control and get proper systems in place.

    Edit: link to interview here - https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-hard-shoulder/dr-david-nabarro-ive-misquoted-bit-around-place


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭ Strumms


    paw patrol wrote: »
    A more reasonable response than the flute above.


    Lets discuss, we have these emergency government powers that we have been under since march2020



    wrongly imo as I value my personal freedoms and I don't think i should be beholden to the state and secondly I don't think covid is anyway as serious as the restriction would imply (this is for covid forum tbh to debate)


    But yesterday - Michael McNamara had a fantastic speech where he outlined these powers were being extended till June 2021 and the bill was being rushed through the dail with him being allowed 50seconds to discuss.


    The is a huge freedom deficit there....in both the manner these powers are being implemented and the implications to the citizens of the state. Mattie McGrath was correct in pointing out the authoritarian nature of these changes. He was 100% correct about the effects on Ireland and its' society. You might not agree with his imagery but the points are 100% valid .



    It shows our hard won freedoms (won by Dan Breen et al.) aren't as solid as we think and if that doesn't concern you , then I can't really discuss with you.

    You’ll have fuçk all freedom lying in a hospital bed, possibly even ventilated...

    As will whoever else catches the fûcking thing from you...

    The battle isn’t against freedoms it is against covid, against non restriction ****. What Dan Breen or any other historical being long dead thinks of that is neither here nor there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭ Triangle


    paw patrol wrote: »
    A more reasonable response than the flute above.


    Lets discuss, we have these emergency government powers that we have been under since march2020



    wrongly imo as I value my personal freedoms and I don't think i should be beholden to the state and secondly I don't think covid is anyway as serious as the restriction would imply (this is for covid forum tbh to debate)


    But yesterday - Michael McNamara had a fantastic speech where he outlined these powers were being extended till June 2021 and the bill was being rushed through the dail with him being allowed 50seconds to discuss.


    The is a huge freedom deficit there....in both the manner these powers are being implemented and the implications to the citizens of the state. Mattie McGrath was correct in pointing out the authoritarian nature of these changes. He was 100% correct about the effects on Ireland and its' society. You might not agree with his imagery but the points are 100% valid .



    It shows our hard won freedoms (won by Dan Breen et al.) aren't as solid as we think and if that doesn't concern you , then I can't really discuss with you.

    We still have the freedom to choose, it's not a dictatorship and no one is going to be dragged of in the middle of the night.

    Back on topic though, mattie likes to shout and rage about everything, I reckon he's just got anger issues tbh.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Any argument he may have had was undermined by going up to 11 on the crazy scale. "Like under Hitler" :D the gob****e.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭ Hurrache


    LOL at the poster jumping onto McGraths wagon, no surprises there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭ WrenBoy


    Everlong1 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with questioning the approach, but comparing the Government's actions to the Nazis and trying to whip up hysteria by invoking the ghosts of Dan Breen and co. is just fu*king ludicrous. He's coming across as similar to the American loons who are all out with their assault rifles shouting about God and country. Thankfully most Irish people have a bit more cop on.

    I'm not so sure of your last point anymore, sure some on here were convinced that the anti-mask march muppets were a sign of the rise of the new reich. I fear we've swallowed a big bucket of the hysteria juice over here already. God help us..


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭ paw patrol


    Triangle wrote: »
    We still have the freedom to choose, it's not a dictatorship and no one is going to be dragged of in the middle of the night.

    Back on topic though, mattie likes to shout and rage about everything, I reckon he's just got anger issues tbh.


    nobody is going to be dragged out ..really?


    The police are now stopping you and asking you your business and telling you to go home if you give the wrong answer. You can be arrested for this.


    They will be dragging you of if you have the wrong people in your own home. the only reason they won't be bursting down the doors is because of the constitution. The government/media have stated that it was examined by the government as a measure.

    Strumms wrote: »
    You’ll have fuçk all freedom lying in a hospital bed, possibly even ventilated...

    As will whoever else catches the fûcking thing from you...

    The battle isn’t against freedoms it is against covid, against non restriction ****. What Dan Breen or any other historical being long dead thinks of that is neither here nor there.


    you've always had a hysteria over covid (based on other posts)


    In Ireland 29000 active cases at the moment but only 311 in hospital. Its not the killer plague we have been sold. There is panic over nothing.
    Illness come and go, locking us up isn't the solution - but we've had this debate.
    If you are worried , stay at home but leave the rest of us to live our lives.


    Go Mattie , keep going.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭ facehugger99


    I think the lockdown is the greatest load of nonsense but I have also encountered McGrath in a professional capacity and he is a total fcuking moron. He possesses a low cunning and he would sell his granny if he thought there was a few votes in it.

    Indicative of the awful politicians across the board which we elect in this country.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭ WrenBoy


    I think the lockdown is the greatest load of nonsense but I have also encountered McGrath in a professional capacity and he is a total fcuking moron. He possesses a low cunning and he would sell his granny of he thought there was a few votes in it

    Who'd buy a granny these days ? :pac:
    In the boom maybe ..


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭ jmreire


    paw patrol wrote: »
    nobody is going to be dragged out ..really?


    The police are now stopping you and asking you your business and telling you to go home if you give the wrong answer. You can be arrested for this.


    They will be dragging you of if you have the wrong people in your own home. the only reason they won't be bursting down the doors is because of the constitution. The government/media have stated that it was examined by the government as a measure.

    you've always had a hysteria over covid (based on other posts)

    In Ireland 29000 active cases at the moment but only 311 in hospital. Its not the killer plague we have been sold. There is panic over nothing.
    Illness come and go, locking us up isn't the solution - but we've had this debate.
    If you are worried , stay at home but leave the rest of us to live our lives.


    Go Mattie , keep going.


    Some interesting statistics about Covid-19, especially for anyone that thinks that its a relatively " harmless " disease, with low death figures. Have a look and see what you think.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭ Strumms


    paw patrol wrote: »


    you've always had a hysteria over covid (based on other posts)


    In Ireland 29000 active cases at the moment but only 311 in hospital. Its not the killer plague we have been sold. There is panic over nothing.
    Illness come and go, locking us up isn't the solution - but we've had this debate.
    If you are worried , stay at home but leave the rest of us to live our lives.


    Go Mattie , keep going.

    :) no hysteria over covid. A healthy concern and a determination to be a team player in respecting restrictions and exhibiting safe, responsible behaviors in order not to catch or spread covid.

    It’s not a killer plague no. But it’s a mass killing and highly infectious virus.

    54,000 infected, 1817 dead.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭ facehugger99


    Strumms wrote: »
    :) no hysteria over covid. A healthy concern and a determination to be a team player in respecting restrictions and exhibiting safe, responsible behaviors in order not to catch or spread covid.

    It’s not a killer plague no. But it’s a mass killing and highly infectious virus.

    54,000 infected, 1817 dead.

    So you think we've identified every case of Covid?

    Interesting.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ RINO87


    I dont agree with his stance but in that clip he did make a very good point...

    "25 grand a day for this place, and where are they?"


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭ Strumms


    So you think we've identified every case of Covid?

    Interesting.

    I’m merely quoting the published numbers that we KNOW about. I’m happy you find it, erm, ‘interesting’ ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭ Snake Plisken


    Everlong1 wrote: »
    Is Mattie McGrath trying to position himself as the hero of the anti - lockdown movement? This hysterical Dail performance where he claims the restrictions are like something "under Hitler" would seem to indicate so. It's my first time to hear the bould Mattie in action. If he plans on becoming the vanguard of the resistance and rousing the masses to action with some stirring rhetoric, he'd want to do a bit of work on his thick muckah bogger accent - I can barely understand half of what he's ranting about in this clip.


    https://www.independent.ie/videos/this-wouldnt-happen-under-hitler-mattie-mcgrath-opposes-lockdown-legislation-in-dail-39658883.html

    Has Mattie upset your city boy feelings? Good! love it when he triggers the boards keyboard warriors


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭ facehugger99


    Strumms wrote: »
    I’m merely quoting the published numbers that we KNOW about. I’m happy you find it, erm, ‘interesting’ ;)

    So your original post was wrong - good to clear that up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭ paw patrol


    jmreire wrote: »
    Some interesting statistics about Covid-19, especially for anyone that thinks that its a relatively " harmless " disease, with low death figures. Have a look and see what you think.


    for a disease that only landed in Feb 2020 in the USA he seems pretty sure of all that permanent stuff.


    So you think we've identified every case of Covid?

    Interesting.


    62% of those deaths are in the nursing homes. Its a tragedy but at a median age of 83 (for covid death) any illness can kill or even a fall.
    You can't equate a special setting like a nursing home with society at large.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭ Strumms


    So your original post was wrong - good to clear that up.

    If you want to clear anything up with them or challenge their covid numbers...and most importantly tell them ‘why’ they are wrong, phone 01 240 87 87 good man. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭ trashcan


    So your original post was wrong - good to clear that up.

    In fairness to Strumms, the testing rates have been so poor, especially early on, there is no way to know what the real figure is. It's almost certainly substantially more than the published figures, I think we can be fairly sure of that.

    My only issue with the latest lockdown, is what do we do if/when it's lifted in December and the numbers shoot up again in January/February, as would seem highly likely. Are we going to be yo-yo ing in and out of lockdowns for the next six months, or maybe longer ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭ Strumms


    I’d say we’ll be yo-yoing until there is a vaccine.

    We can prolong the time that we are out of lockdown by acting responsibly when we are in it and indeed out of it.

    That’s a message that’s a hard sell to the greedy, needy and thick fûckers though.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭ odyssey06


    trashcan wrote: »
    My only issue with the latest lockdown, is what do we do if/when it's lifted in December and the numbers shoot up again in January/February, as would seem highly likely. Are we going to be yo-yo ing in and out of lockdowns for the next six months, or maybe longer ?

    I worry about that as well, but possibly if they have proper fines etc now for evading the restrictions, that a Level 3 nationwide post Christmas would be more effective than the half-hearted recent version.


Advertisement