Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paint touch ups

Options
  • 23-10-2020 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

Hi ... looking for some advice on small scratches on lower front bumper..... photo attached of example.

Does anyone have any experience with touch up pen kits or a good company who have good paint matches .... halfords was recommended to me but I've had a bad experience many years ago with a paint match.

I know I'll be able to detail most of that out but I've a few right down to plastic ..n

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

You won't get a great repair on that but I've used a few over the years and Dr Colourchip is easily the best system.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You won't do a proper repair on that with touch up paint imo. In fact it will probably make it look worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I'm not really looking for a A1 repair ....I was just thinking of dabbling enough paint on a fine brush to cover the black of the bumper where paint is totally off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The likes of Dr Colorchip can improve it - you might need multiple applications to blend it in without it appearing worse. They provide you with a blending solution, which is essentially very weak thinners, so you can remove excess paint. I just bought a similar kit from Chipex.

Problem is with the colour car you have - if the paint that arrives isn't a perfect match, it won't help much at all. I used the kit on a carbon black M3 I had and it made a massive improvement. Used on my brothers metallic grey Saab and it was next to useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

kdevitt wrote: »
    The likes of Dr Colorchip can improve it - you might need multiple applications to blend it in without it appearing worse. They provide you with a blending solution, which is essentially very weak thinners, so you can remove excess paint. I just bought a similar kit from Chipex.

Problem is with the colour car you have - if the paint that arrives isn't a perfect match, it won't help much at all. I used the kit on a carbon black M3 I had and it made a massive improvement. Used on my brothers metallic grey Saab and it was next to useless.

Thanks for advice.... yeh I agree because my bad experience was on a similar grey colour audi A4 , it was for the toe cap on front bumper and colour was way off ....

Story is a workmate hit my bumper and it's not really that bad but she feels guilty as I really look after my car. She has asked me to get it fixed and send bill ....... it's really not that bad and I'd rather not fleece her with a huge bill .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Might be worth getting a price from a smart repair place and see how much they'd want to do it. You could dump €50 on a chipex kit plus a few hours of your time and it might end up looking no better.

Advertisement