Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The main aim is to increase the amount you have been doing. November would be a crappy month with dark mornings and evenings. Walk rather than bring the jeep etc. Theres a track around the Gaelic pitch which is 1km. Rather than sit in the car when training is on I will do a lap or 2. Broke my ankle years ago and it's not great atm but will try and get my step goal each day and more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Does it take into account height, I have long strides

I had two different cheapish sort of fitness watches that took the stride length into account, when setting up you had to walk ten paces & it calculated the distance/stride.
    Broke both within a year, just can't keep a watch for the life of me.
    Pigsback is great for 'deals' on those kind of watches as I wouldn't always have my phone with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I had two different cheapish sort of fitness watches that took the stride length into account, when setting up you had to walk ten paces & it calculated the distance/stride.
    Broke both within a year, just can't keep a watch for the life of me.
    Pigsback is great for 'deals' on those kind of watches as I wouldn't always have my phone with me.

Have the Honor5 here, got it in Argos for €40, does heart rate etc. Have it maybe 6 months amd it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

It's funny went for a jog with a friend awhile back around a lovely park, beautiful day. All he was doing was looking at the watch, 1km down now hed say. The run seemed to take forever!

Forgot to post this.
    Picked up our Heifer from the butcher.

She weighed 550kg going, 220kg coming back. He said she had a hurt on back end that needed cutting out. Was surprised by that. At grass all her life bar last three weeks ground went to hell and she was in slatted shed in a pen of 8

Very happy, they packaged labelled steaks etc depending on how many in each house as it’s split in two. Frozen and all coming.

Let the feasting begin !!

60-E00588-3-BD1-4243-81-D2-C9-F318-E29-F98.jpg

I mistakenly said we were paying similar to knowlegenight, ours was more expensive @ €350 for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

whelan2 wrote: »
    Walk faster. Aim to do it in an hour

That's running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

_Brian wrote: »
    Have the Honor5 here, got it in Argos for €40, does heart rate etc. Have it maybe 6 months amd it works fine.

I think the first one got a wetting during calving one year, second one got a wallop & didn't work right after, had a pedometer which got an accidental washing in my pocket too.
    Sure once my clothes fit I'm ok :D

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    That's running :)

A brisk walk

Some of those fitness trackers are terrible. I used to get digger steps with a fitbit. Have a garmin now that eldest lad used to use. A lot more accurate

A brisk walk

Any walk and exercise is good.
    But best benefit it needs to get the heart rate up.

As they say, if you can talk and walk you need to walk faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

wrangler wrote: »
    What height are you

1.82m just shy of 6 foot

Forgot to post this.

She weighed 550kg going, 220kg coming back. He said she had a hurt on back end that needed cutting out. Was surprised by that. At grass all her life bar last three weeks ground went to hell and she was in slatted shed in a pen of 8

Very happy, they packaged labelled steaks etc depending on how many in each house as it’s split in two. Frozen and all coming.

I mistakenly said we were paying similar to knowlegenight, ours was more expensive @ €350 for all.

Better value for you €350. I was nervous looking at the stuff freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

1.82m just shy of 6 foot

Just asked as I'm about the same weight and always get a lecture from the GP for it, I'm 6' 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭148multi

Some of those fitness trackers are terrible. I used to get digger steps with a fitbit. Have a garmin now that eldest lad used to use. A lot more accurate

Had a friend who got a fitbit as a present, counted 17,000 steps one day while he drove a track machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

148multi wrote: »
    Had a friend who got a fitbit as a present, counted 17,000 steps one day while he drove a track machine.

Got 52,000 one day spreading fert on silage ground. Only steps I did were from the tractor to the loader and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Grueller wrote: »
    Got 52,000 one day spreading fert on silage ground. Only steps I did were from the tractor to the loader and back.

If I do a long distance at slow speed my phone asks me was I really walking/running

I had to go and look, and one of the first mentions of cattle and famine in a search is from an unelected person I have muted. Twitter is a nicer place with good use of the mute button.

Just watching The Hunger now, I can see where she got the thinking from. That some British saw the famine in Ireland as an opportunity to clear out (by natural starvation) the poorest people and free up that land, or at least some amount of land so they could model this country after Scotland & Wales.

Shocked to see my own village featured.

Just watching The Hunger now, I can see where she got the thinking from. That some British saw the famine in Ireland as an opportunity to clear out (by natural starvation) the poorest people and free up that land, or at least some amount of land so they could model this country after Scotland & Wales.

Shocked to see my own village featured.

She then goes on to drag the hole out of the point by saying that farmers now are essentially no better because it’s cattle and not people on the land.

As if it would be somehow more acceptable to have 6 million people living in huts eeeking out an existence.

She then goes on to drag the hole out of the point by saying that farmers now are essentially no better because it’s cattle and not people on the land.

As if it would be somehow more acceptable to have 6 million people living in huts eeeking out an existence.

Ah when I saw who was making the comments I never delved deeper than the headline act.

God it was a desperately sad thing, makes me wonder all the more about old maps and old buildings around the place. Who went before us.

That we were once one full third of the population of the then UK.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

148multi wrote: »

I've a Garmin Forerunner 45. I don't really believe all the stats it throws out but it's a good device to compare things day to day or week to week.
    I've the Connect App on the phone that keeps all the info .
    The watch also gives an alert when emails, texts and WhatsApp messages come in to my phone. I could disable that if I tried hard enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Forgot to post this.

Did you weigh out the individual cuts?
    It would be interesting to price them out in a supermarket.

Jjameson wrote: »

I was wondering the same. Mistakenly didn’t do that. Will know better next time.

Butcher had said I had over €1200 worth of meat- that was probably at wholesale- €3.50/€4/kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I was wondering the same. Mistakenly didn’t do that. Will know better next time.

Butcher had said I had over €1200 worth of meat- that was probably at wholesale- €3.50/€4/kg.

Ah teacher Sir, the maths, it works out there at €5.45/kg!!
    No matter the price you are sure of the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭148multi

Jjameson wrote: »

Would think it near 1,600

Water John wrote: »

I figured my maths would be caught out- I reckon i under estimated the weight when I brought her box’s in the shed. I had estimated each box at 20kg. (Based on the mince boxes) I reckon the bigger boxes were closer to 30kg when I did a bit of a break down of contents with a friend who is used to getting a heifer killed. The return was higher than the 220kg- closer to 270kg-300kg

I have had sleepless nights trying to figure it out.

And in my classroom, I alway say never be afraid to make mistakes as long as we learn from them- I will definitely learn from this experience,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

270/300 kg would make more sense, I think. Just over 50% kill out, plus a bit for the rejected injury.

Have some bullocks myself around 530/550, wondering should I now feed meals along with clover/grass silage and take them to finish? I think that would have a fairly high protein % and the meal should be energy focussed.
    Opinions are welcome.

270/300 kg would make more sense, I think. Just over 50% kill out, plus a bit for the rejected injury.

Have some bullocks myself around 530/550, wondering should I now feed meals along with clover/grass silage and take them to finish? I think that would have a fairly high protein % and the meal should be energy focussed.
    Opinions are welcome.

I have no clue on finishing side-but o don’t think you are a million miles off. That friend of mine, wasn’t happy with mart prices and kept his bullocks for finishing and still reckons he will come out well from it. But he is a pro at the profit side of things but good land- he has called out to me numerous times and scratches his head on how to make money from the place.

He sells a few heifers off farm to locals- they pay the killing and pay per kg after butchered.

I've a Garmin Forerunner 45. I don't really believe all the stats it throws out but it's a good device to compare things day to day or week to week.
    I've the Connect App on the phone that keeps all the info .
    The watch also gives an alert when emails, texts and WhatsApp messages come in to my phone. I could disable that if I tried hard enough.
    Does yours do this buzzing thing to tell you to move? Frightens the crap out of me

Did I see on another thread some time ago that €8-9/kg would be the average retail of beef in a butcher’s shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Opinions are welcome.

Don’t forget you have to bene it out. 550kg would be a 300kg carcass cold weight then 65 to perhaps 70% of that you get back.

220kg would definitely catch it I think.
    But you’d want a scales and a pen and paper and weigh out the precise quantities of cuts of meat and then tip into super value and price them, multiply it out and see where you are.
    I done it with lambs a few years back and it came to 12€ a kg in Dunne’s. (Lamb isn’t boned out, you sell every morsel of the carcass)

Advertisement