Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Excessive cold air from air vent

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Yes, i am trying to find the white square cover which has a slider.
    Alternatively, I am thinking to put the vents upside down, that way the air will be pushed upwards.

I am trying to find it online but no luck. If someone could please post link to purchase it online.
    listermint wrote: »
    Just get the square covers which push the air out to the sides the direct it correctly flat to the wall rather than out on you.

Also tell your neighbour to take his tape off. He will get mould in his bedroom. That's not where you want it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭blackbox

It seems crazy to insulate a house carefully to achieve an A rating and then poke a big hole in the wall.

OP, if there is air coming in, there must also be air going out. Have you tried draught-proofing your bedroom door to stop the air current?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes, i am trying to find the white square cover which has a slider.
    Alternatively, I am thinking to put the vents upside down, that way the air will be pushed upwards.

I am trying to find it online but no luck. If someone could please post link to purchase it online.

White square covers with sliders are gak. They're straight out of the 80s it's horrendous builders are still even putting that crap on your house there. The vent bears no resemblance to the hole.

Get a 110mm circle vent with closer if you must. They are on eBay. Make sure yours is 110mm. If not get the square ones which direct air left and right .

Avoid the rectangular ones with abundance. The circle ones are about 4 euro on eBay replace all them in your house it will look. Neater and like it should have if the builders bothered their arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

White square covers with sliders are gak. They're straight out of the 80s it's horrendous builders are still even putting that crap on your house there. The vent bears no resemblance to the hole.

Get a 110mm circle vent with closer if you must. They are on eBay. Make sure yours is 110mm. If not get the square ones which direct air left and right .

Avoid the rectangular ones with abundance. The circle ones are about 4 euro on eBay replace all them in your house it will look. Neater and like it should have if the builders bothered their arse.

This is mine. Fitted myself

• Advertisement

Adjustable Air Vent, HG POWER 4" Ventilation Grille Cover Stainless Steel Extractor Outlet for Bathroom Office Kitchen Ventilation https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QNWP73P/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_qbZKFb593AM8M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

How's this guys??

I have checked, the diameter of vent is 15 cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    2019 regs are bringing ratings to A2

And under tgd f 2019 every air tightness test that is less than 3 m3/hr/m2 requires MHRV.

And, imo, if over 3 m3/hr/m2 is truly a wasted opportunity!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

FitzElla wrote: »
    I posted another thread on a similar problem. It is a little frustrating to find an A3 house that is super air tight and insulated and then find vents (aka big holes in the wall) everywhere as acceptable ventilation.

Has anyone retrofitted MHRV have an idea of cost? Would it be possible to re-use the existing MEV extract ducting? Would only mean having to put in the supply side which would be mostly upstairs.

I did a retrofit. We were doing work on the house anyway which meant I could get access to the downstairs rooms. Spent 4K on all the kit

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pablo57

This is mine. Fitted myself
    Thanks for this (and to everyone on the thread for sharing their experiences) - just ordered a few to try to sort out some seriously draughty rooms we've had all winter.

Wonder if any of you have any suggestions for the predicament I've attached. Just one of several joyous bits of work we've encountered in a house we bought 2 years ago. These rectangular grilles are throughout the house, all fitted horizontally except for this one, and I always knew there was a reason! Is a smaller square adjustable grille my only option here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭EVGR

If the duct size is 100mm and there is no fire or boiler in the room, you can try these https://munsterdiy.com/collections/ventilation-products/products/wall-vent

The square is about 16x16cm. Would that suit your space?

I'm surprised I see so few recommendations for them. Do people dont know they exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 realflash17

I am in the final stages of a build and I can already see the issue raised by the OP being an issue for us on a couple of 6" vents on the bedrooms that may catch the south westerly wind.

At the moment the steel vent covers are on the outside, plastered in.

I still have open access to the pipe from the inside and I am contemplating reducing the size of the pipe in the middle from 6" to 3" by inserting in a 3" pvc pipe tilting outwards and insulating around it with foam, then a close-able cover on the inside(that hopefully does not have to be ever closed unless stormy). I think/hope that should supply plenty of fresh air on a daily basis in addition to windows being opened in morning too.

I would monitor for first 6 months and see how it goes, inspecting pipe for any moisture build up etc and possibly even removing the 3" in the future if room temperature was comfortable and see how that goes.

Anyone done anything similar?

I know of a few people who have moved into new homes and blocked up vents already which does seem madness. Not saying my idea is ideal either but hoping a reduction in pipe size might find a nice balance between comfort and fresh air supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Biker1

As it's a new build the only way you can have natural ventilation is if your airtightness test result is between 3 and 5m3/hr/m2. As most houses are coming in below 3m3/hr/m2 the requirement is for either mechanical extract or MVHR. With mechanical extract you only need wall vents with an equivalent opening of 2500m2 in each habitable room.(less than 70mm diameter) For natural ventilation you may require more than one 150mm diameter hole, depending on the size of the room. New houses with natural ventilation are known as swiss cheese houses because of this.

Advertisement