Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing Covid situation- how do you plan for 2021 races

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

I read that texas 70.3 was a 'no spectator' event but in practical terms its impossible to prevent. Generally speaking though the recent easing has to been seen as a massive positive step in terms of events going ahead. It will just be a numbers thing now. What cap with there be on outdoor sporting events 200/500? Perhaps IM cork becomes an exception or a test event to see how larger events can work. 8000 in Wembley last week for a cup final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

A lot is going to depend on whether race organisers who are mostly club volunteers are willing to organise races that may haven significant restrictions in place and take responsibility for same.

Also reduced entry numbers doesn’t necessarily mean reduced race costs, so entry fees may rise.

You’d hope by august that any restrictions would be fairly minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭S_D

griffin100 wrote: »
    A lot is going to depend on whether race organisers who are mostly club volunteers are willing to organise races that may haven significant restrictions in place and take responsibility for same.

Also reduced entry numbers doesn’t necessarily mean reduced race costs, so entry fees may rise.

You’d hope by august that any restrictions would be fairly minimal.

Fingers crossed I just wonder willl Ironman have to make decisions before July. Lots of costs involved etc and not a clear road map. I’m sure they’ll try everything and I know cork cc are very keen. Between them I hope they can figure it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

S_D wrote: »
    Fingers crossed I just wonder willl Ironman have to make decisions before July. Lots of costs involved etc and not a clear road map. I’m sure they’ll try everything and I know cork cc are very keen. Between them I hope they can figure it out

fingers crossed is one way, having a plan b and c another way.
    last year the made the official decision 45 days before the race and a race like portugal was cancelled at even shorter notice.
    new zealand was postponed by 3 weeks i think with a 2 week notice. while ironman taiwan was cancelled in march and 2 weeks ago challenge had 6000 people racing at challenge taiwan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

They won't make a decision on Cork before mid-June or they won't announce the decision before then anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Bertje14

Lets keep our fingers & toes crossed for some kind of race season this year.

Well DCM is going virtual!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jimmy Ten Bellies

Bertje14 wrote: »
    Well DCM is going virtual!!!

Think they’re still hoping it’ll go ahead as planned, but have opened up the virtual race for those who haven’t secured a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Think they’re still hoping it’ll go ahead as planned, but have opened up the virtual race for those who haven’t secured a place.

And they have given certainty over the summer race series, which is always welcome.

Anyone get into Try Tyrone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

S_D wrote: »
    Anyone get into Try Tyrone?

Yep. Give some incentive to train (properly).
    I’ve never done it, was told it’s flat :-)

yeah only read that afterwards my bad :D

StaggerLee wrote: »
    Yep. Give some incentive to train (properly).
    I’ve never done it, was told it’s flat :-)

I am in as well. Fairly flat alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

I see quest Lough derg for September is off. Disappointing that we are at a stage that events can't even be confirmed for September. Thought we were a bit further down the road than that. I think I'll be heading north Myself for a few races this summer at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    I see quest Lough derg for September is off. Disappointing that we are at a stage that events can't even be confirmed for September. Thought we were a bit further down the road than that. I think I'll be heading north Myself for a few races this summer at this rate.

Strange decision alright considering Electric Picnic are saying they see no reason why its not going to go ahead:p

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Strange decision alright considering Electric Picnic are saying they see no reason why its not going to go ahead:p

I seen that ha! If thats the talk...it bodes well for IM Cork!

seemingly an announcement due this week or early next re cork & its to be postponed until next year. Rumour mill in full swing today about it!

Vitoria just sent out confirmation today that it is 'rescheduled' to September and standard you can defer to 2022 either or take a voucher for another Spanish event until 2024. Can't see them announcing anything about Cork for another couple of weeks yet usually they do it after the refund window passes but I guess there probably isn't many who can avail of refunds now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

IM Cork deferred for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Such a shame was looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

Kilkee HOTW just got cancelled as well

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cona44

I would love to plan for Hardman Killarney this year but with being on the waiting list, its impossible to know whether ill get an entry or not. I signed up to the waiting list a few months back so knowing my luck i will get offered an entry but wont be able to do it becuase ive signed up to another event

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

haven't heard anything about Sheephaven yet either - has anyone else?

Such a shame for the smaller, club races if they are cancelling already. I was going to come out of retirement for one day only and enter Dungarvan in Sept as it coincides with finishing college / birthday. Would have thought the smaller events would be able to go ahead but I guess Kilkee aint small and the cost of hosting a tri under TI rules maybe just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

rodriquez wrote: »
    haven't heard anything about Sheephaven yet either - has anyone else?

Metalman (a week later than Sheephaven) was two days early so I'd say it's gone. I'd an entry to both

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

niallo32 wrote: »
    Metalman (a week later than Sheephaven) was two days early so I'd say it's gone. I'd an entry to both

I suspect you're right - I contacted the race director the other day and he said a final decision will be made next week

niallo32 wrote: »

Pushed to Aug 14th, according to Instagram

With IM Cork gone I believe they pushed Metalman out to mid August. I thought it was 13th but coud be 14th.

I have entry for Sheephaven & Tyrone. i haven't heard anything about Sheephaven but with Kilkee gone I am not really holding a lot of hope.

If it gets cancelled I will see if I can pick up an entry to any other races. The time of being picking is gone.

Saturday 14th August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Such a shame for the smaller, club races if they are cancelling already. I was going to come out of retirement for one day only and enter Dungarvan in Sept as it coincides with finishing college / birthday. Would have thought the smaller events would be able to go ahead but I guess Kilkee aint small and the cost of hosting a tri under TI rules maybe just not worth it.

i guess you are not suggesting the 100 limit rule right now is imposed by ti ...
    hardman events were run under ti rules last year.
    i guess what we see is, that many clubs and who would blame them, dont want to play the game not to be sure if the race will happen, as gov regulations could change all the time.
    at the same time you would think that the service industry in kilkee would be rather happy to have people in kilkee in september, i

Advertisement