Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Influenza has been virtually eradicated worldwide!

«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 72,066 ✭✭✭✭ Atlantic Dawn


    Social distancing sorted it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ smck321


    The current influenza surveillance data should be interpreted with caution as the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic have influenced to varying extents health seeking behaviours, staffing/routines in sentinel sites, as well as testing priorities and capacities in Member States.

    It always helps to read the small print


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭ sabat


    smck321 wrote: »
    The current influenza surveillance data should be interpreted with caution as the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic have influenced to varying extents health seeking behaviours, staffing/routines in sentinel sites, as well as testing priorities and capacities in Member States.

    It always helps to read the small print

    Yes, that explains perfectly why no-one in the entire northern hemisphere has had the flu since April. Case closed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,609 ✭✭✭✭ MadYaker


    This was predicted months ago.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ 440Hertz


    Well the flu, nasty as it is, is much less contagious than COVID-19 but would have its transmission impacted by exactly the same measures that we are using and probably far more so.

    It's very likely that we have had a big impact on flu and a whole array of cold viruses and other respiratory infections. We’ve made life very difficult for them.

    If we kept up even the use of hand sanitizer & people isolating themselves when they’re sick with flu in the long term, maybe we might keep flu a lot more at bay than we have done.

    I’d say the flu vaccine rates will be enormous this year too.

    If we inadvertently wipe out the flu, I don’t think anyone will be fretting. It’s a bloody awful virus and causes a lot of misery. It’s unlikely though that it’s going to die out in a year of sanitary measures and social distancing.


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭ sabat


    MadYaker wrote: »
    This was predicted months ago.

    I don't doubt that for a second.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭ sabat


    440Hertz wrote: »
    Well the flu, nasty as it is, is much less contagious than COVID-19...


    ...If we inadvertently wipe out the flu...

    ...It’s unlikely though that it’s going to die out in a year of sanitary measures and social distancing.

    Do you have a source for that first statement please? As for the second part-I'm being sarcastic-the obvious conclusion is that flu cases are being rolled into covid19 to boost the numbers.


  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ smck321


    sabat wrote: »
    Yes, that explains perfectly why no-one in the entire northern hemisphere has had the flu since April. Case closed.

    It does though, priorities have changed therefore it isn't being searched for as often therefore detected cases have went down.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭ con747


    sabat wrote: »
    Yes, that explains perfectly why no-one in the entire northern hemisphere has had the flu since April. Case closed.

    In the Northern Hemisphere, influenza season commences in October and continues through to May. Check back in a few months with the figures. Case still open.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ 440Hertz


    sabat wrote: »
    Do you have a source for that first statement please? As for the second part-I'm being sarcastic-the obvious conclusion is that flu cases are being rolled into covid19 to boost the numbers.

    No I don’t have a source for that. It’s fairly plainly obvious that whatever measures are taken for COVID-19 will very likely have a similar, but probably more signifiant impact on influenza, as it’s transmitted mostly by droplets.

    COVID-19 is known to be more contagious and seems to he much easier to transmit in enclosed, poorly ventilated spaces etc etc. It’s basically showing characteristics of something airborne, or at least capable of riding far smaller droplets.

    So it’s blatantly obvious that social distancing, hand sanitising, masks etc will have a huge impact on influenza and a range of viruses that cause colds etc.

    Flu cases are absolutely not being rolled into “boost the numbers” who in their right mind would do that? Or why? Just think about it for a minute ... ?!

    The COVID-19 cases are being detected and confirmed by a PCR test that specifically identifies SARS-cov-2 and will absolutely not confuse it for influenza. It’s a totally different virus.


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭ sabat


    smck321 wrote: »
    It does though, priorities have changed therefore it isn't being searched for as often therefore detected cases have went down.

    Over 6 billion people live in the northern hemisphere. The WHO say none of them contracted the flu in the last 7 months. Does that sound true? And given that all countries have rolled out unprecedented testing on people with respiratory symptoms during that period, surely it would lead to an increase in flu diagnoses and reporting. Before sick people would have stayed in bed for a few days; because of covid19 they're more likely to seek medical attention.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭ sabat


    con747 wrote: »
    In the Northern Hemisphere, influenza season commences in October and continues through to May. Check back in a few months with the figures. Case still open.

    The pattern in the southern hemisphere is virtually identical.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭ MrStuffins


    sabat wrote: »
    I'm being sarcastic

    What??

    You're joking!!

    Really??

    Noooo!!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ smck321


    sabat wrote: »
    Over 6 billion people live in the northern hemisphere. The WHO say none of them contracted the flu in the last 7 months. Does that sound true? And given that all countries have rolled out unprecedented testing on people with respiratory symptoms during that period, surely it would lead to an increase in flu diagnoses and reporting. Before sick people would have stayed in bed for a few days; because of covid19 they're more likely to seek medical attention.

    No the WHO says that substantially less tests have been reported to them as positive in 7 months. Again with covid priorities have changed and if you come into a hospital with shortness of breath, a cough and fever the first thing popping into doctors minds isn't "this could be influenza" its this could be covid. And once that covid test comes back negative if you improve you get out to make way for other patients.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭ con747


    sabat wrote: »
    The pattern in the southern hemisphere is virtually identical.

    Where in your link does it say what you posted about no cases?
    This is what I read "In Europe, influenza activity remained at inter-seasonal levels though sporadic detections
    were reported across reporting countries. In Ireland, ILI activity increased and was reported
    above the epidemic threshold earlier than in the previous years, ".


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭ MrStuffins


    sabat wrote: »
    It happened mysteriously and unexpectedly around March and April of this year...

    And at the same time as the rolling out of 5G as well.

    Can't be a coincidence surely!


  • Registered Users Posts: 78,143 ✭✭✭✭ Victor


    There are many influenza viruses and the problem is that they can mutate rapidly. Hence, humans can become infected with variants of bird flu and swine flu.

    Additionally, the viruses that cause colds and flus appear to have an effect of boosting the immunity systems of humans. A complete absence of colds and flus could jeopardise the health of children.

    There may also be reservoirs of these viruses out there in carriers (people who have the virus, but are asymptomatic).

    It's a short-term win, but not necessarily a long-term one.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,609 ✭✭✭✭ MadYaker


    Didn't realise this was a conspiracy theory thread :pac:


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭ sabat


    MrStuffins wrote: »
    And at the same time as the rolling out of 5G as well.

    Can't be a coincidence surely!

    Ah the 5g, gemmaroid, conspiracy theorist brigade reposte. Even when I'm exclusively using WHO information...


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭ con747


    sabat wrote: »
    Ah the 5g, gemmaroid, conspiracy theorist brigade reposte. Even when I'm exclusively using WHO information...

    Post the quote from the WHO so.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭ con747


    Ok I will
    Countries in the temperate zone of the northern hemisphere
    ▪ In the temperate zone of the northern hemisphere, influenza activity remained at interseasonal level overall.
    ▪ In the countries of North America, influenza activity indicators, including the percent of tests
    positive for influenza, were at very low levels. In the United States of America, at the national
    level, ILI activity remained below the national baseline except in the 0-4 years old where
    activity was reported just above the baseline level. The percentage of deaths attributed to
    pneumonia, influenza or COVID-19 was above the epidemic threshold for pneumonia and
    influenza mortality established from historical data, likely related to the COVID-19. In the past
    few weeks, in Canada, influenza testing is reportedly elevated but detections remain low
    compared to previous seasons.
    ▪ In Europe, influenza activity remained at inter-seasonal levels though sporadic detections
    were reported across reporting countries. In Ireland, ILI activity increased and was reported
    above the epidemic threshold earlier than in the previous years, likely reflecting increased
    SARS-CoV-2 circulation. ILI activity slightly increased across most reporting countries. Pooled
    mortality estimates from the EuroMOMO network returned to normal expected levels.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭ sabat


    con747 wrote: »
    Post the quote from the WHO so.

    Globally, influenza activity remained at lower levels than expected for this time of the year, though increased detections were reported in some countries.
    In the temperate zones of the southern hemisphere, the influenza season remained low or below baseline. Despite continued or even increased testing for influenza in some countries in the southern hemisphere, very few influenza detections were reported.
    In the temperate zone of the northern hemisphere, influenza activity remained below inter-seasonal levels.
    In the Caribbean and Central American countries, there were no influenza detections reported. Severe acute respiratory infection (SARI) activity, likely due to COVID-19, decreased in most reporting countries.

    In tropical South America, tropical Africa and Southern Asia there were sporadic or no influenza detections across reporting countries.

    Worldwide, of the very low numbers of detections reported, seasonal influenza A(H3N2) viruses accounted for the majority of detections.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭ MrStuffins


    sabat wrote: »
    Ah the 5g, gemmaroid, conspiracy theorist brigade reposte.

    If the shoe fits.....


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭ con747


    sabat wrote: »
    Globally, influenza activity remained at lower levels than expected for this time of the year, though increased detections were reported in some countries.
    In the temperate zones of the southern hemisphere, the influenza season remained low or below baseline. Despite continued or even increased testing for influenza in some countries in the southern hemisphere, very few influenza detections were reported.
    In the temperate zone of the northern hemisphere, influenza activity remained below inter-seasonal levels.
    In the Caribbean and Central American countries, there were no influenza detections reported. Severe acute respiratory infection (SARI) activity, likely due to COVID-19, decreased in most reporting countries.

    In tropical South America, tropical Africa and Southern Asia there were sporadic or no influenza detections across reporting countries.

    Worldwide, of the very low numbers of detections reported, seasonal influenza A(H3N2) viruses accounted for the majority of detections.

    Read my last post. It's a quote from the PDF on the link YOU provided. Page 4


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭ sabat


    MrStuffins wrote: »
    If the shoe fits.....

    You literally manufactured a "fact" about the transmission rate of flu vs corona viruses just because you thought it would support your argument.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭ MrStuffins


    sabat wrote: »
    You literally manufactured a "fact" about the transmission rate of flu vs corona viruses just because you thought it would support your argument.

    Did I???

    You sure it wasn't Bill Gates?


  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ lan


    sabat wrote: »
    the obvious conclusion is that flu cases are being rolled into covid19 to boost the numbers.

    Please tell me you're taking this piss?

    Both flu and COVID numbers are backed up by lab test results. Are you honestly suggesting a massive global conspiracy where COVID test results are being faked for flu patients, presumably with virtually all medical scientists in on it?

    I admire your faith in the organisational skills and management of the HSE :P


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭ Supercell


    Bird flu, Swine flu etc, these animals don't do social distancing, we may lower flu rates during all this but it's never going away.

    Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/



  • Registered Users Posts: 15,927 ✭✭✭✭ osarusan


    sabat wrote: »
    Even when I'm exclusively using WHO information...

    As somebody using exclusively WHO information, post up the quote where they say that none of the six billion+ people in the northern hemisphere have contracted influenza in the past 7 months.

    I am looking direct quote of the WHO saying that, which is what you have claimed they said.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭ Polar101


    sabat wrote: »
    the obvious conclusion is that flu cases are being rolled into covid19 to boost the numbers.

    So if we take the flu vaccine, that's effectively doubling down as a Covid-19 vaccine too. Who knew things were going to be this easy.


Advertisement