Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for enforcing no parking on a private road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

spyderski wrote: »
    Wow, that means there’s at least 2 estates in DLRC’s area where people are apoplectic and want to erect gates which would be in clear contravention of council policy. Guess that’s SoCoDu for ya! Maybe write a strongly worded letter to the Irish Times? Seems to be a popular pastime around here..

Don’t be salty because your super sleuthing was wrong :D

And I never said we were apoplectic .

Finally the other estate your referring to clearly isn’t private so your comparison is entirely inaccurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Cyrus wrote: »
    I didn’t ask for anyone’s opinion on whether I’m being like victor meldew or not but it hasn’t stopped a few of you giving it, it’s peak boards really .

And sorry your credibility is shot a little as the path you don’t mind people parking on doesn’t exist anyway !

I never claimed to have any credibility to begin with :D

I see someone reported my post for calling you a Victor Meldrew in this thread. You couldn’t actually make it up, it seems you’re not alone on planet curmudgeon.

It was worth it the warning :D

Ta ta.

I never claimed to have any credibility to begin with :D

I see someone reported my post for calling you a Victor Meldrew in this thread. You couldn’t actually make it up, it seems you’re not alone on planet curmudgeon.

It was worth it the warning :D

Ta ta.

Wasn’t me for what it’s worth but cheerio!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Don’t be salty because your super sleuthing was wrong :D

And I never said we were apoplectic .

Finally the other estate your referring to clearly isn’t private so your comparison is entirely inaccurate.

That’s what’s so funny - it isn’t private, but the residents think it is. They’re relying on an ambiguous solicitors letter which is dancing on the head of a needle. I’ve got a senior counsels opinion which will put them straight in the very near future. Very entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Is it really an issue at all? Kids being picked up is a 5 to 10min task and they will want to be gone as quick as anyone.

Most people wouldn't see this as they are at work. If your in all day then is waiting at the window for a car to hover outside your house for 10 mins a good use of your time??

And I live outside a school with same issue. Except its not an issue.....
    Too busy to worry about that nonsense or my 'precious' street, which isn't mine anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Kowerski

That’s what’s so funny - it isn’t private, but the residents think it is. They’re relying on an ambiguous solicitors letter which is dancing on the head of a needle. I’ve got a senior counsels opinion which will put them straight in the very near future. Very entertaining.

The OP refuses to accept advice. As I posted I live in estate which was private and now has been transferred into the local county council, they recently arrived put up signs etc.

Not sure why the OP put up a post in first place if they already think they know more than anyone else

Kowerski wrote: »
    The OP refuses to accept advice. As I posted I live in estate which was private and now has been transferred into the local county council, they recently arrived put up signs etc.

Not sure why the OP put up a post in first place if they already think they know more than anyone else

Yep. Same as my local example. The estate is CURRENTLY private (which is what their solicitors letter says, and is technically correct at this moment in time), however it’s a condition of planning that it SHALL be taken in charge by the council once complete. The sad thing is, I couldn’t have cared less about what they did, until they stopped my kids from cycling on the road, and told my wife that “they weren’t being elitist”!

Unfortunately I’m paying a fortune in management fees so there’s no ambiguity here, seems like you have gone to great efforts to prove your neighbours wrong, entertaining indeed !

Lantus wrote: »
    Too busy to worry about that nonsense or my 'precious' street, which isn't mine anyway...

Well then whether you care or not doesn’t matter because people can park there if they want

Yep. Same as my local example. The estate is CURRENTLY private (which is what their solicitors letter says, and is technically correct at this moment in time), however it’s a condition of planning that it SHALL be taken in charge by the council once complete. The sad thing is, I couldn’t have cared less about what they did, until they stopped my kids from cycling on the road, and told my wife that “they weren’t being elitist”!

And it’s a condition of ours that they won’t take it in charge, so the exact opposite.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I’m paying a fortune in management fees so there’s no ambiguity here, seems like you have gone to great efforts to prove your neighbours wrong, entertaining indeed !

Paying management fees doesn’t mean the estate is private. The fees will be used for the sinking fund to cover communal roofs etc. The development I’m referring to also has a management company and pay fees.

Well ours is private and will likely stay that way for reasons I don’t need to share with you but will be why the council made that decision in the first place.

I got the answers to my post and thanked people for them, you arrived after the fact and have added nothing .

Paying management fees doesn’t mean the estate is private. The fees will be used for the sinking fund to cover communal roofs etc. The development I’m referring to also has a management company and pay fees.

The fees here are to pay for street lighting , insurance of the common areas and landscaping I.e the stuff the council would cover if they took it in charge , which they won’t . Not sure why I’m engaging with you on this you might set your senior council on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Whether they have an option or not that’s not an issue it’s private land they shouldn’t be in here at all, same as someone’s driveway or their entrance to their house.

No it’s very different

ted1 wrote: »
    No it’s very different

How so?

Thought you were going stop repeating yourself ?

Where did I say that before?

I'm only going to end up repeating myself which you will ignore again so I will not bother. Yo have evidently decided

Here you go

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’d have thought it was obvious by now. Keep unwanted people out .

You wanted to keep unwanted cars out. Guess it’s not obvious.

If you want to keep cars out , you could engage with a clamping company. But first check what planning was granted with regards visitor spots and public parking.

How so?

It’s different because your driveway is unambiguously your property. The road through your estate is, by definition open to the public. Do you also want to stop bin lorries, tradesmen etc using the road to access properties in your estate?

I think this problem is symptomatic of people being forced to live in communal type developments due to the land value. This is why I bought a detached house on its own plot. I couldn’t afford to buy a detached house in the same area now - I’d be also forced to buy in one of these communal developments. Council policy to increase housing density is also to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Sometimes the solution to a problem is to consider whether or not it's such a big problem after all, and if you should just learn to live with it. If you don't think that applies here - and clearly you don't - then once again, fair 'nuff.

I think it's more of a case of I live in a private estate and we want no skangers in here

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    No it’s very different

Wouldn't bother...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Parents don’t always have a choice of where to park.
    In what circumstances do people not have the choice of parking legally and safely, albeit a little further away?

99nsr125 wrote: »
    I think it's more of a case of I live in a private estate and we want no skangers in here

Skangers? they are mothers going to drop off kids. How did you get Skangers from that?

Some of the biggest sh*tholes in Dublin are "private" estates by the way. Just because you stick private in the front of it doesn't make it any better

In what circumstances do people not have the choice of parking legally and safely, albeit a little further away?

They are parking in a closed estate, perfectly legal and not blocking anyone. How is that not legally and safely? Just because the OP doesn't like it doesn't mean it is not legal

Plenty of estates handed over still pay management fees. It's not a or b. The council won't maintain the corridors etc of an apartment block and so on

Lantus wrote: »
    Is it really an issue at all? Kids being picked up is a 5 to 10min task and they will want to be gone as quick as anyone.
    Great, sure if it's only a few minutes, the parents will have no problem in finding alternative safe and legal parking nearby, right?

They are parking in a closed estate, perfectly legal and not blocking anyone. How is that not legally and safely? Just because the OP doesn't like it doesn't mean it is not legal

To be fair to him, it's private so not legal, it's a civil trespass.

They have a defence though in that it appears there's little evidence to the naked eye of this fact.

Great, sure if it's only a few minutes, the parents will have no problem in finding alternative safe and legal parking nearby, right?

If they are blocking driveway, taking spots etc you could have an argument but based on the posts so far they are doing none of the above. They are parking legally and not disturbing anyone. I don't see the problem but then again I am a reasonable person

They're on private property. It's not their space.

Why would they and you feel entitled to use other people's space for storage of their own private property?

• Advertisement

If they are blocking driveway, taking spots etc you could have an argument but based on the posts so far they are doing none of the above. They are parking legally and not disturbing anyone. I don't see the problem but then again I am a reasonable person

They are NOT parking legally if they are on private property.

Advertisement