Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for enforcing no parking on a private road

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Cyrus wrote: »
    That’s hardly our issue ? Should they park in private houses around the school? Seems to be what some are advocating live and let live and all that

It is really because if they have somewhere else to park then you have some leverage as a resident.

If they don’t then perhaps the onus was upon you when purchasing the home close to a school to take this on board as a possible issue at drop off and collection time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I think that’s entirely unfair.

Personally was trying to ascertain if parents had any other choice but to park in your estate or not.

Whether they have an option or not that’s not an issue it’s private land they shouldn’t be in here at all, same as someone’s driveway or their entrance to their house.

It is really because if they have somewhere else to park then you have some leverage as a resident.

If they don’t then perhaps the onus was upon you when purchasing the home close to a school to take this on board as a possible issue at drop off and collection time.

What leverage do you need ? They have no right to park here not sure what leverage has to do with anything

What leverage do you need ? They have no right to park here not sure what leverage has to do with anything

You’ve still not answered my question if they have an alternate.

It really is relevant to your query if the parents who park in your estate have a choice or not.

Owing to your reticence to reply, I can only assume they don’t have another option and you’re being curmudgeonly for no other reason than unwarranted outrage at, all things considered, a very minor inconvenience.

Good luck with your clamps, signage, gates and sticking stickers on people’s cars.

You’ve still not answered my question if they have an alternate.

It really is relevant to your query if the parents who park in your estate have a choice or not.

Owing to your reticence to reply, I can only assume they don’t have another option and you’re being curmudgeonly for no other reason than unwarranted outrage at, all things considered, a very minor inconvenience.

Good luck with your clamps, signage, gates and sticking stickers on people’s cars.

They have options but that’s irrelevant entirely , if someone parked in your driveway and said sorry I had no alternative what would you say ?

• Advertisement

They have options but that’s irrelevant entirely , if someone parked in your driveway and said sorry I had no alternative what would you say ?

It’s not your driveway.

If someone parked in my driveway I’d be furious and rightly so. If someone parked on the pathway outside my house to drop their children to school, being a parent to small children I’d have no issue with that.

If they do have other suitable options and are not using them then I’d suggest making a nuisance of yourself every drop off and collection time until you irritate them so much by asking them to leave they’ll eventually not want to encounter you and park where they should be parking.

Otherwise I see no legal solution save gates or employing a clamping company and these bring with them their own issues.

If it’s a safety issue for children then you could also go the route of speaking with the principal/parents council of the school however, in this instance, my own personal experience is it effects change for a short period and then people revert to the status quo of parking wherever they please.

I suppose it all depends on the basis of the resident’s issue and how far they are prepared to go/how much they are willing to pay to resolve it.

It really really does depend on whether or not the parents have other options. If they don’t then I’d say you’re fighting a losing battle and it’d be less stressful for residents to accept it as an inconvenience of living in such close proximity to to a school than to pursue a long term response effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Kowerski

But they are not parking in your driveway or blocking entry/exit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Used to happen to my parents. They spoke first to the principal of the school and when that didn't work they went to the chair of the Board of Management. That did the job.

I know I said earlier that we have non permit parking clamping but the more I think about it the more it sounds like a permit system is what would suit you best. Resident and visitor permits and everyone else is up to be clamped. If residents are as bothered by what's going on as you seem to be saying, there should be no problem getting agreement for a permit system.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Op I'd hate too live anywhere near you.
    You sound like a horrible neighbor too even consider clamping somebody's car if they are dropping little johnny or Mary too school.
    A couple of minutes a day and your out barking.
    I could only imagine what you would be like if the school parked the school bus there.
    Would you not consider moving house ???

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Is it a primary school where the parents park up and get out and walk the kinds in or a secondary where they just let them out?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

yes they have and i thanked people for them.

no need for you to "echo" anyone elses view.

Sorry, posted in wrong forum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Has anyone thought to apply for planning permission to see if the council have changed their minds?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭IamMe33

The thread has gone off course by trying to paint the OP as a curtain-twitchng grump.

Easy to imagine scenarios where non-residents parking in estates doesn't impact anyone.
    It's also easy to imagine scenarios where they do.

The shorter the term parking, the the greater the liklihood of less consideration in choosing where to park.
    'Sure I'll only be a minute' is the rationale as you decide to park where most connvenient/closest to your pop-in destination.

Most poeple would usually try to choose not to block up driveways, or in a private driveway, or at an angle onto a road, but when spots become scarce during a surge event like a school pickup a percentage will opt for dog ignorance rather than inconvenience themselves by parking a minute or two further away.
    Also plenty who will be more than '5 minutes' as they treat meeting up with other parents outside the schoold as a social event.

Most of the time it shouldn't impact residents needing the way clear, but you can't know when it might.
    And if it does, even occasionallly, it's a problem.
    Easy to scoff when it's not heaped on your own doorstep.

No, I'm not personally affected by this phenomenon where I live but can think of a couple of primary schools nearby where no parking manners are evident.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

If the road was never going to be taken in charge by the council, then I would imagine it was a condition of the planning permission that a management company be set up?

Is the management company still up and running?

As someone else said, a Council can take an estate in charge despite what the planning permission says in certain circumstances and if an application is made to them by the residents. But that is a side issue.

Parents dropping off school kids is a bug bear of mine and I can completely see where you're coming from OP. At the end of the day, it is not a public road way. Its just a shame you can't get gates.

I have seen estates without gates and they have signs up on walls saying No Parking Private Residents only. There's an estate in Ranelagh that comes to mind. Could you ring a clamping company and ask them what their experience /process is and then put it to the Management Company/residents?

If the management company isn't up and running properly I'd get that sorted ASAP and get the common areas and roads insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I get that, I have small children myself.

I suppose my point was where else does OP expect parents to park to drop off their children.

Personally I’d only consider it an inconvenience were cars to block my driveway but that aside it’s a bit of a first world dilemma.
    Where should they park then?

Is there enough space outside the school?
    I think that’s entirely unfair.

Personally was trying to ascertain if parents had any other choice but to park in your estate or not.

Why it is now the responsibility of the OP or the management company of this development to provide drop-off parking for parents doing school drop offs?

Parents ALWAYS have a choice about where to park. They can ALWAYS find the nearest safe, legal parking spot and walk a bit from there, even if that costs them a couple of minutes on their journey.

Better still would be to take the choice to attend the local school so that they'll have the option to walk or cycle instead of blocking up traffic and pumping out toxic fumes just so that little Feekra and Suresha don't have to stretch their legs to get to their classrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I doubt that’s it, we still need a management co, abs annual service charge , a sinking fund and we still need insurance for public liability, having gates would just increase the cost a little.

Problems with gates are a much more immediate, pressing issue, and indeed a possible safety and security issue. If you don't have a sinking fund, people can still get in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Why it is now the responsibility of the OP or the management company of this development to provide drop-off parking for parents doing school drop offs?

Parents ALWAYS have a choice about where to park. They can ALWAYS find the nearest safe, legal parking spot and walk a bit from there, even if that costs them a couple of minutes on their journey.

Better still would be to take the choice to attend the local school so that they'll have the option to walk or cycle instead of blocking up traffic and pumping out toxic fumes just so that little Feekra and Suresha don't have to stretch their legs to get to their classrooms.

But it doesn't work like that. People picking their kids up from school think they have the right to do any of the following and more .....

Stop in the middle of the road
    Park on the pavement
    Park on double yellow lines
    Park on pelican crossings
    Park on zebra crossings
    Park within 3m of crossings and junctions
    Park on roundabouts
    Park where there are white lines down the middle of the road forcing other drivers to cross the lines
    Park on cycle lanes (ironic when they are often there to keep kids safe)
    Park 3 foot out in the road
    Park in disabled parking places
    Block access to drives
    Park in spots allocated for buses
    Double park
    Drive less than 400m from house to school to pick the kids up.
    etc

And whats worse they will do it day after day after day even if the school asks them not to.

Personally I'd go for gates or blocking the road one way or another. Where my parents had this problem near them the locals put a chain across the road and just put it up when there was going to be a problem with parking (they were near a beach with limited parking so chain when up on sunny weekends during the summer).

Wake me up when it's all over.

Kowerski wrote: »
    It was a joke. Who in their right mind would actually go and ask to install gates in first place just to block a few mothers

Bit sexist there chief

It’s not your driveway.

If someone parked in my driveway I’d be furious and rightly so. If someone parked on the pathway outside my house to drop their children to school, being a parent to small children I’d have no issue with that.

If they do have other suitable options and are not using them then I’d suggest making a nuisance of yourself every drop off and collection time until you irritate them so much by asking them to leave they’ll eventually not want to encounter you and park where they should be parking.

Otherwise I see no legal solution save gates or employing a clamping company and these bring with them their own issues.

If it’s a safety issue for children then you could also go the route of speaking with the principal/parents council of the school however, in this instance, my own personal experience is it effects change for a short period and then people revert to the status quo of parking wherever they please.

I suppose it all depends on the basis of the resident’s issue and how far they are prepared to go/how much they are willing to pay to resolve it.

It really really does depend on whether or not the parents have other options. If they don’t then I’d say you’re fighting a losing battle and it’d be less stressful for residents to accept it as an inconvenience of living in such close proximity to to a school than to pursue a long term response effort.

Is the path outside your house yours or the councils ? Because if it’s the council your opinion on whether people park on it or not is irrelevant as it’s not your property.

I have small kids too and when I take them to school I make sure to park in an appropriate place.

If the road was never going to be taken in charge by the council, then I would imagine it was a condition of the planning permission that a management company be set up?

Is the management company still up and running?

As someone else said, a Council can take an estate in charge despite what the planning permission says in certain circumstances and if an application is made to them by the residents. But that is a side issue.

Parents dropping off school kids is a bug bear of mine and I can completely see where you're coming from OP. At the end of the day, it is not a public road way. Its just a shame you can't get gates.

I have seen estates without gates and they have signs up on walls saying No Parking Private Residents only. There's an estate in Ranelagh that comes to mind. Could you ring a clamping company and ask them what their experience /process is and then put it to the Management Company/residents?

If the management company isn't up and running properly I'd get that sorted ASAP and get the common areas and roads insured.

Thanks for the constructive post , mgt co up and running all insurances etc in place .

• Advertisement

Op I'd hate too live anywhere near you.
    You sound like a horrible neighbor too even consider clamping somebody's car if they are dropping little johnny or Mary too school.
    A couple of minutes a day and your out barking.
    I could only imagine what you would be like if the school parked the school bus there.
    Would you not consider moving house ???

I’m a lovely neighbour, the people parking aren’t my neighbours though.

And yes I’d be apoplectic if a school bus used our
    private road to park on.

Is the path outside your house yours or the councils ? Because if it’s the council your opinion on whether people park on it or not is irrelevant as it’s not your property.

I have small kids too and when I take them to school I make sure to park in an appropriate place.

I don’t live in an estate and couldn’t be paid enough to do so. I live in the countryside, there is no path outside my house though, occasionally people park their cars outside my house to walk their dogs in nearby woods. Again I’ve no issue with this.

My children attend a country school 20 minutes drive from my house at which I park at the church car park and walk them to the gates.

I’m not your problem here.

I think you’ve received good advice here. Best of luck.

Parents don’t always have a choice of where to park.

I didn’t say it was was the OP responsibility to provide drop off points.

And it’s Fiachra not Feekra :D

I don’t live in an estate and couldn’t be paid enough to do so. I live in the countryside, there is no path outside my house though, occasionally people park their cars outside my house to walk their dogs in nearby woods. Again I’ve no issue with this.

My children attend a country school 20 minutes drive from my house at which I park at the church car park and walk them to the gates.

I’m not your problem here.

I think you’ve received good advice here. Best of luck.

If there’s no path outside your house why post and say you don’t mind if someone parks on the path outside your house ? And I never asked if you lived in an estate that’s not relevant .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

I’m putting up with a similar attitude from neighbours in a newly built infill estate beside ours. It’s also beside a school. They also want to erect gates and believe their estate is private property when their grant of planning permission explicitly states that the public areas will be take in charge by the local authority. The same local authority as the OP’s who have a policy not to allow gated communities. Seems like a serious case of buyers remorse from property owners who didn’t research their purchase properly. Wonder if it’s the same development we’re talking about?

If there’s no path outside your house why post and say you don’t mind if someone parks on the path outside your house ? And I never asked if you lived in an estate that’s not relevant .

Because I grew up in an estate, and lived in one throughout my 20’s. So I have experience of living in one.

Nothing I or anyone else who thinks you’re being a bit of a Victor Meldrew says here is relevant in your opinion So as I say, best of luck, hope you get your dilemma resolved.

spyderski wrote: »
    I’m putting up with a similar attitude from neighbours in a newly built infill estate beside ours. It’s also beside a school. They also want to erect gates and believe their estate is private property when their grant of planning permission explicitly states that the public areas will be take in charge by the local authority. The same local authority as the OP’s who have a policy not to allow gated communities. Seems like a serious case of buyers remorse from property owners who didn’t research their purchase properly. Wonder if it’s the same development we’re talking about?

It’s not sorry to disappoint you. You must have been giddy :D

Because I grew up in an estate, and lived in one throughout my 20’s. So I have experience of living in one.

Nothing I or anyone else who thinks you’re being a bit of a Victor Meldrew says here is relevant in your opinion So as I say, best of luck, hope you get your dilemma resolved.

I didn’t ask for anyone’s opinion on whether I’m being like victor meldew or not but it hasn’t stopped a few of you giving it, it’s peak boards really .

And sorry your credibility is shot a little as the path you don’t mind people parking on doesn’t exist anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

It’s not sorry to disappoint you. You must have been giddy :D

Wow, that means there’s at least 2 estates in DLRC’s area where people are apoplectic and want to erect gates which would be in clear contravention of council policy. Guess that’s SoCoDu for ya! Maybe write a strongly worded letter to the Irish Times? Seems to be a popular pastime around here..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

quit it with the personal digs.

Advertisement