Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Italian sausage...

Options
  • 14-10-2020 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Does anyone know where I can get Italian sausage (sweet sausage rather than spicy) in Dublin or the NE Coast? Or online for delivery?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

KiraNerys wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get Italian sausage (sweet sausage rather than spicy) in Dublin or the NE Coast? Or online for delivery?

Thanks

What the yanks call sweet Italian sausage is more or less just a pork sausage with fennel seeds and a few herbs.

Jane Russell does a fennel & chilli sausage. M&S do a fennel sausage. Renalagh butcher do a really high quality fennel sausage and the whole hog in Glasnevin market do a decent one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Thanks

Higgins butchers in Sutton do really good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Thanks

You can get Italian Sausage in Little Italy - http://www.littleitalyltd.com/, the Italian supermarket in Smithfield. They stock three varieties by Levoni. One is a milanese Sausage, one with fennel.

Delicious with home made pasta!

I have tried Italian sausage imitations and much like the chorizo, salami efforts that great Irish producers make, they are not a patch on the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I buy Jane Russell's in Avoca.
    I am amazed that there are loads of sausages on sale in general, but the producers seem to have passed by the Italian sausage.
    Very roughly minced meat, not the pink paste we are used to, loads of salt and pepper with chili and/or fennel and sometimes a drop of red wine.
    You'd imagine they would be easy to make and market.
    Marvellous on the barbecue.
    The butcher beside Tesco's in Celbridge used make them but he put way to much chili in and I haven't got them in years. Maybe he doesn't make them anymore.
    I know you said you wanted sweets ones, so his wouldn't be for you!
    I haven't seen any imitations around, as per Johnny Fontane, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

The Jane Russell versions are also available from time to time in Fallon and Byrne too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Dunnes Stores 'Italian meat and roasted red pepper pizza' - there is a small bit of sausage/salami (brown, crumbled up) that is the most spicy piece of food I can ever remember eating. So spicy that after a few minutes I couldn't taste anything else.

I don't go searching for spicy foods, but I don't avoid spice either. I don't dislike spice. But this was the spiciest I have ever had. The rest of the pizza is fairly plain without much spice if you scrape off that bit (which I had to).

Has anyone else had this before and what did they think of the spicy piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

Sounds like Nduja sausage most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Springwell wrote: »
    Sounds like Nduja sausage most likely

I googled it and it looks very similar. Probably it! Thanks.

Advertisement