Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Budget 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

This is an interesting one....
    To create a level playing field between new cars and used imports, which have been subject to different emissions tests, I am ensuring that used imports subject to the weaker emissions test will have their CO2 values uplifted to a level equivalent with the WLTP test to which all new cars are subject.

How will they "uplift" the values without actually testing them. I presume it will be a sledgehammer process of just loading all used imports with a high value unless you can provide evidence of your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Jaysus that is gonna be so confusing

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Are the CC rates untouched? Trying to find out what the new rates are here but not sure if they are released yet.

Apparently they are to stay the same

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

pearse doherty is after saying there's an increase in motor tax on older cars.

Is someone going to tell him they haven't touched those rates?

He was talking about hospital breads too. I didn't know that was an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Are the CC rates untouched? Trying to find out what the new rates are here but not sure if they are released yet.

That's what pascal donohue said earlier, just that from jan 1st they will use wltp or whatever rates and the higher Co2 cars will be increased. Haven't heard or seen any concrete numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Joe 90

Capra wrote: »
    That is basically every single desirable car on sale. Say goodbye to things as humble as a Fiesta ST or a Golf GTI. Don't every dream of doing even remotely well for yourself and buying an AMG or M car to reward yourself for your toil.

Just to put this into perspective, according to statistics on this only 0.07% of new cars fall into the highest co2 tax bracket. It's basically ensuring only the very wealthy can have a nice car. It really is totally against the spirit of striving to achieve something for yourself. There is no environmental benefit to this. Its just miserable begredugery.

I was hoping to buy a Yaris GR4 next January. This has almost certainly made them completely unattainable. It was already going to be a 50k+ car on the old system.

It's always been the way in Ireland, when I was young anything over 2 litres was absolute robbery. Now it's anything vaguely desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Glad they levelled the playing field with hybrids.

Does that mean they taxing them the same now as a regular petrol car?

So it's either some form of or BEV in the VRT bands?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

New rates are on page 19 of this document

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Clear as mud. I am thinking about getting a 2017 Megane Estate from either the north or the UK. Based on todays budget would i be better off buying this year or next year?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Wtf does “most polluting cars post 2008” mean? I just want to know is my tax going up, Jesus wept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

So I have a 192 seat arona automatic petrol. Pay 225 tax a year what way would it be now?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To me it's the cars that are on the top emissions based tax rates.

Hogzy wrote: »
    New rates are on page 19 of this document

interesting so my car at 144 or so co2 would actually be cheaper on the new grouping @ 19.5% vrt instead of the current 23%

(except I know with the new testing my car would score a higher Co2 figure and they are increasing nox..)

but the change doesn't look too drastic at all

Irishder wrote: »
    Clear as mud. I am thinking about getting a 2017 Megane Estate from either the north or the UK. Based on todays budget would i be better off buying this year or next year?

Thanks

Whats the C02 of the car currently? My understanding is that any imports that are pre Sept 2018 use the old C02 NEDC test. So pre Sept 2018 cars need to have their C02 emisions multiplied by C02 x 0.9227 + 34.554 for petrol cars and C02 x 1.1405 + 12.858
    for diesel cars and that will be their WLTP emissions under the new system. And your VRT will be calculated off that.

So if a NEDC tested petrol car has a CO2 value of 110 g/km on the vehicle registration documentation which would attract a rate of 16%. Revenue uplifts this CO2 value to a WLTP equivalent value as follows: y = 110(0.9227) + 34.554 y = 136

This car is then subject to an 18% VRT rate.

Its ridiculously complicated!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,361 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes untouched
    http://budget.gov.ie/Budgets/2021/Documents/Budget/BUDGET%2021_Tax%20Policy%20Changes.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

P19 of doc as linked by Hogzy

tax.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Top rate of motor tax on emissions now e2400! Lol! Lol!

If you are importing a car with a reg between Sept 2019 and now with 119g/km CO2 then youre actually saving 3% in VRT. Thats a huge amount. Is that correct?

top rate only gone up by 50 quid, I thought they'd be doubling it by the way they were talking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

KCross wrote: »
    This is an interesting one....
    To create a level playing field between new cars and used imports, which have been subject to different emissions tests, I am ensuring that used imports subject to the weaker emissions test will have their CO2 values uplifted to a level equivalent with the WLTP test to which all new cars are subject.

How will they "uplift" the values without actually testing them. I presume it will be a sledgehammer process of just loading all used imports with a high value unless you can provide evidence of your own?

And another tough one here...
    The charging structure for the NOx surcharge is also adjusted so that 1-40 mg are charged at €5 per mg, and 41-80 mg are charged at €15 per mg

Thats an effective increase from last year, isnt it?

Having said that, might not make any difference with Brexit... importing from the UK might become just a memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very few of these cars on those rates here anyway so it was only lip service or pandering.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

top rate only gone up by 50 quid, I thought they'd be doubling it by the way they were talking about it

They couldnt do it, would annihilate values, imagine 2350 to 4700, not a chance, even in this bedgrudging kip !

So they thi k giving the most unsustainable form of transport, near free motor rax for a decade, was a better use of resources than giving dublin a proper transoort system, lol, just lol! Dart underground and dublin metro would be gake changers! The new bike lane in dundrum that nobody uses, looks like it cost a pretty penny!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,361 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Literally €200 per month just in motor tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

KCross wrote: »
    And another tough one here...
    The charging structure for the NOx surcharge is also adjusted so that 1-40 mg are charged at €5 per mg, and 41-80 mg are charged at €15 per mg

Thats an effective increase from last year, isnt it?

Having said that, might not make any difference with Brexit... importing from the UK might become just a memory.

It is €5 from 1-60mg and €15 from 60-80mg at the moment

Anyone with a car that is post September 2018 your CO2 figure is calulated using the WLTP standards. Any car pre this date used the NEDC C02 test so you'll have to recalculate you C02 to match the WLTP system.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

Idbatterim wrote: »

Relative to inflation that is a significant decrease on what they set it at back in 2008

Hogzy wrote: »
    Anyone with a car that is post September 2018 your CO2 figure is calulated using the WLTP standards. Any car pre this date used the NEDC C02 test so you'll have to recalculate you C02 to match the WLTP system.

for imports after 1st jan

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Does that mean they taxing them the same now as a regular petrol car?

So it's either some form of or BEV in the VRT bands?

I think it’s based purely on WLTP emissions and no rebates or subsidies

for imports after 1st jan

Sorry yeah, just for imports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

€2400 for me so!
    Tesla S p100d or plaid here I come...!

Advertisement