Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hand -made decorations?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Speedsie wrote: »
    When I was a chisler (back in the 70s), my brother and I used to make popcorn garlands for the tree.

Basically, pop some pop corn, then with a needle & thread string then along 2 or 3 foot lengths. These were then knotted together.

Then after twelfth night the garlands were added to the bird table.

Your the first person I’ve heard of doing that here, we made up the popcorn garlands too, but they never lasted until the twelfth, mostly the cats & dogs got to them or the odd one went on fire from the fairy lights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

I make lots of decorations with felt. Cut out two shapes, decorate the front one, sew and stuff. Last year was all about zombie gingerbread men, this year its gnomes. I have about 15 gnomes in total made. Its great cos the collection builds each year.
    Xmas 2018 i put a tree up in the large open plan office i worked in and colleagues wanted to buy them. So i left a charity bucket there (with management permission), take a decoration and leave a donation. Made over €100 for the Lifeboats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

I’m working on a storyboard to create a Christmas story of the worst elf on the shelf there ever was. I’ve started hand illustrations and am laying it out over the 12 cards I’ll watercolour the scenes, all cards will have to brought back together to get the whole story. My nieces absolutely love these things, I don’t do them every year But thought it would be great this year and well then put on a wee diy panto on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

em_cat wrote: »
    I’m working on a storyboard to create a Christmas story of the worst elf on the shelf there ever was. I’ve started hand illustrations and am laying it out over the 12 cards I’ll watercolour the scenes, all cards will have to brought back together to get the whole story. My nieces absolutely love these things, I don’t do them every year But thought it would be great this year and well then put on a wee diy panto on the day.
    I love storyboards, fair play to you !
    Lucky nieces !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

em_cat wrote: »
    Your the first person I’ve heard of doing that here, we made up the popcorn garlands too, but they never lasted until the twelfth, mostly the cats & dogs got to them or the odd one went on fire from the fairy lights :)

I think my mother came across it in a magazine, I never came across anyone else doing it either. Indeed, I made contact a couple of Christmases ago with an old school friend, and she asked if we still did it.

The dogs & cats never really paid attention to the decorations, and we were very traditional in that decorations went up on Christmas Eve, so and in a very cold hall, so they lasted until Twelfth Night.
    Didn't last long on the bird feeders though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement