Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Alopecia

Registered Users Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭ budgese

Alopecia is a thing suffered often by women and rarely talked about.
    I see it every day in women not much older than myself who are thinning on top.
    I suffer from Androgenetic Alopecia. Basically pattern baldness for women. It stated when I was only 14. In my 20s it became too obvious. I had to deal with many "helpful" people, both family and doctors, but it was obvious what it was, and my hair was never, ever coming bsck.
    I dealt with it as I could, but when I found the group Alopecia Ireland it changed how I saw myself completely!

I now don't wear wigs, I have an integrated hair system. I know where to get my "hairdressing," done but it strikes me that a lot of women are suffering their hairloss in silence, fear, and not even aware of the help that is out there.

Comments

• Hi,

could you tell me where you go for your hairdressing?

thanks.

• Mr Sheen wrote: »
    Hi,

could you tell me where you go for your hairdressing?

thanks.

Will PM you now.

• OP would you mind letting me know where you go for your hairdressing?
    I've had thinning hair for 10+ years now.... bloods/thyroid checked and no problems.
    Have tried so many different vitamins, hair shampoo/conditioner solutions and no luck

• di7474 wrote: »
    OP would you mind letting me know where you go for your hairdressing?
    I've had thinning hair for 10+ years now.... bloods/thyroid checked and no problems.
    Have tried so many different vitamins, hair shampoo/conditioner solutions and no luck

Sure, I'll send you a PM.
    That's exactly what happened to me, too! It's super frustrating. I never bothered to get an official diagnosis because my case is totally textbook, so I just knew it was androgenetic alopecia. It could be worth getting a biopsy done, I just know I didn't want to go through that myself!

Advertisement