Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fishing boat recommendation

Options
  • 30-09-2020 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi guys,
    Looking for some advice as I'm not that well up on boats etc although I have had a lake boat since I was a chap for fishing,

Long story but I have no longer a berth to keep my timber lake boat in and it's not really the best for those to be trailering them so I have sold it I'm thinking of a replacement I've always had traditional lake boat type boats,

I kinda want a boat that I can fish from and is easily trailered but also if I wanted to go for a spin on the lake it'd be suitable.

I have been looking at dory's and just not sure what to do, budget of about 9k
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I see a lot of local fishermen are moving towards aluminium fishing boats these are light weight easy to tow and launch by yourself and have room for a few mates, you will probably be able to keep under the 750kg towing limit of a standard two wheel car with one. They also have very little maintenance and hold there value well, worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Highway patrolman

I was looking at a aluminum boat but I hear loads of horror stories of them leaking after a couple of years

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I was looking at a aluminum boat but I hear loads of horror stories of them leaking after a couple of years

Probably the older riveted ones had problems not so much with newer welded ones.

Have been offered a 15ft dory with a 30hp mariner today any recommendations what to look for on them? Would the aluminium boats be a bit dodgy in the wind fergal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Hi guys,
    Looking for some advice as I'm not that well up on boats etc although I have had a lake boat since I was a chap for fishing,

Long story but I have no longer a berth to keep my timber lake boat in and it's not really the best for those to be trailering them so I have sold it I'm thinking of a replacement I've always had traditional lake boat type boats,

I kinda want a boat that I can fish from and is easily trailered but also if I wanted to go for a spin on the lake it'd be suitable.

I have been looking at dory's and just not sure what to do, budget of about 9k
    Thanks
    Some dories can slam a lot in the short steep waves you can get on lakes. A 15ft would be better than the older very common 13ft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

fergal.b wrote: »
    I see a lot of local fishermen are moving towards aluminium fishing boats these are light weight easy to tow and launch by yourself and have room for a few mates, you will probably be able to keep under the 750kg towing limit of a standard two wheel car with one. They also have very little maintenance and hold there value well, worth a look..

The "750kg limit" isn't what you think it is.

You have the rated tow weight of the car which you must adhere to and then seperately you have you license which for class b, will permit you a combined weight (plated max weight for each) of car and trailer of 3,500kg. Once you meet both those conditions your fine.

The 750kg rule is that trailers under 750kg do not count towards the train weight so even with a van plated to a max gvw of 3,500kg you can still tow a 750kg trailer on a b licence

The Dories are a great boat from back in the day like a lot of lake boats used the longliners and wooden clinker boats but if you go to a fishing competition on your local lake have a look at what they are using, I'm sure you will get much better fuel economy and control from a 30 HP on an aluminium boat than a Dory. I am no expert on small fishing boats so your best bet would be to talk to the local guy's\ girls and see what they think is the best type of boat to use on your local lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Dory’s have tremendous initial stability. You can stand on the gunnel no probs in one and it will barely heel, so I would have thought it was suitable for fishing. I wouldn’t want to be caught beam on in breaking seas etc. But that can be said for any boat. Dory’s were popular as rescue boats in sailing clubs for years until ribs came along. They do slam upwind in chop however. Also, as they are double skinned with foam in between, the foam can get waterlogged which can make them heavy and performance might suffer but with a healthy 30hp she’ll probably still do 20kts.

Ferris wrote: »
    Dory’s have tremendous initial stability. You can stand on the gunnel no probs in one and it will barely heel, so I would have thought it was suitable for fishing. I wouldn’t want to be caught beam on in breaking seas etc. But that can be said for any boat. Dory’s were popular as rescue boats in sailing clubs for years until ribs came along. They do slam upwind in chop however. Also, as they are double skinned with foam in between, the foam can get waterlogged which can make them heavy and performance might suffer but with a healthy 30hp she’ll probably still do 20kts.

Any easy way to know if it waterlogged?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Would you consider a fibreglass lake boat?

They are most suitable for the lake waves.

You can use a lighter engine and they are ok for towing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Not that I can think of other than it’ll be very heavy. Others may know more.

Drill a hole in a low part of the transom and stand the boat up, you could do a few small holes and just glass them back up or one large one thats fits a bung plug fitting, this will only let some of the water out as most of it will be trapped in the foam and the only real fix is to split the hull and replace with closed cell foam :eek: it can be a big job and cost a few quid possibly more than the boat is worth. If a boat is waterlogged you might also feel soft spots under your feet as you walk around the deck and if you are on the water you will find it hard to get on the plane with the extra weight.

elperello wrote: »
    Would you consider a fibreglass lake boat?

They are most suitable for the lake waves.

You can use a lighter engine and they are ok for towing.

I've fished from loads of fiberglass boats and I had a 19ft sheelin for a while but I want something quick and something to bring the kids out in too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I've fished from loads of fiberglass boats and I had a 19ft sheelin for a while but I want something quick and something to bring the kids out in too

The 19ft Sheelin is a fine sturdy boat. There is an extra high gunwhale version too.

Lot's of room for kids in one and you have the added bonus that they could try a bit of rowing.

I didn't pick up that you wanted speed but with a 15hp and ballast at the front they will fairly move.

If you are going for secondhand engines be careful, there are some rough ones out there.

Advertisement