Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speedmaster from US

Options
  • 29-09-2020 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a Speedmaster from the Chrono24 from the US, price is about $2,500. Can anyone tell me how much the duty/tax/vat total I might be liable for ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a Speedmaster from the Chrono24 from the US, price is about $2,500. Can anyone tell me how much the duty/tax/vat total I might be liable for ?

21% on the total including shipping cost, along with a handling fee anywhere from 6-15euro depending on shipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

banie01 wrote: »
    21% on the total including shipping cost, along with a handling fee anywhere from 6-15euro depending on shipper.

Thanks might stick with the UK.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd stay more "local" myself R. Better bet all around.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Thanks might stick with the UK.

Actually, isn't the UK going to be the same now?

It is now officially left the EU, so wouldn't the same apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,766 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Actually, isn't the UK going to be the same now?

It is now officially left the EU, so wouldn't the same apply?

Not until 01/01/2021 and then only if things stay as they are, with a no deal Brexit

Britain will have the same status as China then for all of us in the EU :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

banie01 wrote: »

VAT calculation to include customs duty too at higher rate 12% IIRC (goods greater than €700 non-commercial).

2500+300+588+handling fee = too expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

The duty for watches should be okay actually - my understanding is that duty is fixed at 0.80 euro (80 cent) per unit for wristwatches no matter the value of the watch:

https://www.taricsupport.com/nomenclatuur/9102110000.html

^ above is the TARIC number for wristwatches - don't have it to hand right now but if you check some EU/Irish duty site you'll see that this TARIC number corresponds to 80c per unit.

Though whether An Post/courier will be applying the correct duty or if you'll need to get in touch with them about duty rates is a different matter of course.

And the temporary VAT rate of 21% will be returning to 23% after this special pandemic VAT reduction period is over (1 March 2021 currently).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

There is no point getting a watch from the US, they are 6-10 hours ahead of us so the time will always be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Fitz II wrote: »
    There is no point getting a watch from the US, they are 6-10 hours ahead of us so the time will always be wrong.

Behind.

Advertisement