Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Christmas Cooking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

I've had terrible experience of Christmas for years and for the last few years have spent it alone.

I'm finally at a stage where I'm ready to try to feel the spirit and enjoy a nice dinner too but it'll just be me.

I don't want a ready meal from somewhere and I'm not fussed if it's chicken or turkey and don't even want ham.

Was thinking of just roasting a chicken, potatoes and having stuffing, cranberry and gravy with vegetables.

Would I be best to buy the chicken a day or two in advance?
    I have used this video for the last few years, I live alone too.
    Just leave out anything you dont like and add more of the stuff you do. It always worked out so perfect. Have a lovely xmas dinner !

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Ish66 wrote: »
    I have used this video for the last few years, I live alone too.
    Just leave out anything you dont like and add more of the stuff you do. It always worked out so perfect. Have a lovely xmas dinner !

Well, you're a proper gem! Thank you!

That looks fabulous! I'll do 1 tray like hers and then 1of stuffing!

Perf!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

I've had terrible experience of Christmas for years and for the last few years have spent it alone.

I'm finally at a stage where I'm ready to try to feel the spirit and enjoy a nice dinner too but it'll just be me.

I don't want a ready meal from somewhere and I'm not fussed if it's chicken or turkey and don't even want ham.

Was thinking of just roasting a chicken, potatoes and having stuffing, cranberry and gravy with vegetables.

Would I be best to buy the chicken a day or two in advance?

Make sure you spoil yourself !! Don’t forget, an Irish coffee, boxes of roses and a good movie after the dinner. Also, I’ll make sure to check in here Christmas Day and wish you a happy Christmas so you won’t be alone !!

Well, you're a proper gem! Thank you!

That looks fabulous! I'll do 1 tray like hers and then 1of stuffing!

Perf!!! :pac:
    `Don,t forget to let me know how it went, Its so easy to follow too. Have a lovely Christmas ! :)

Valresnick wrote: »
    Make sure you spoil yourself !! Don’t forget, an Irish coffee, boxes of roses and a good movie after the dinner. Also, I’ll make sure to check in here Christmas Day and wish you a happy Christmas so you won’t be alone !!

Ah thank you! We can cheers each other!! :)

• Advertisement

`Don,t forget to let me know how it went, Its so easy to follow too. Have a lovely Christmas ! :)

Oh I might take photos if it's not too shambolic looking lol but I will for sure let ye know! Hard to believe it's only a few weeks off now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Oh I might take photos if it's not too shambolic looking lol but I will for sure let ye know! Hard to believe it's only a few weeks off now!

Make sure you put up a few pics !! See you Dec 25th !!

I would love a photo posted, Good or bad, Deal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Oh definitely take some pics and for sure check in! I know I’ll be checking in on Christmas Day too!

Jayz the pressure!

Yes, pics it is so. Now I have to do it :D

• Advertisement

Jayz the pressure!

Yes, pics it is so. Now I have to do it :D
    Yay ! No backing out now ! !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

I live abroad, unfortunately won't be coming home for Christmas this year. So I will have the privilege (:rolleyes:) of cooking Christmas dinner for roughly 14 people. Did the same last year (for 18 people), though that was a few days before Christmas itself, more of a Christmas party. Apartment is quite big, but kitchen is small so god bless my stress levels.

Dinner itself will be the usual turkey and ham etc. Dessert is fine. If anyone has any suggestions for starters though, I'm all ears :o I'll probably do a small cheeseboard again with some crackers/bread and onion marmalade. But stuck as to what else to do that will keep that many people happy, and not drive me insane. I can get pretty much any ingredient, so no limitations there.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Dinner itself will be the usual turkey and ham etc. Dessert is fine. If anyone has any suggestions for starters though, I'm all ears :o I'll probably do a small cheeseboard again with some crackers/bread and onion marmalade. But stuck as to what else to do that will keep that many people happy, and not drive me insane. I can get pretty much any ingredient, so no limitations there.

I usually do a cold starter and i also do mini soup aswell, served in espresso cups.

We have vegetarians and carnivores. The easiest starter ever is Caprese salad, just slices of mozzarella layered with good beef tomatoes and some basil sprinkled with olive oil and balsamic. It looks great either individually plated or on a serving platter and to make it more festive sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
    But for husband and son it has to be the simplest ever, slices of smoked salmon and a lemon wedge, they dont even want the brown bread.
    You could go for a classic prawn cocktail, lettuce, prawns, marie rose sauce. As the dinner is fairly substantial you want the starter to be light and a cold starter means it can be prepared and plated in advance. An alternative to prawn cocktail is tikka cocktail. Lettuce, strips of chicken quickly fried and then topped with mayo that has some crunchy peanut butter mixed in. Or just mayo mixed with curry powder. Or substitute the prawns or chicken for simple cooked fish or seafood. You can see how simple this could be. I serve it it double shot glasses, i like to see the layers in the glass but anything would do, including old fashioned tea cups.

As our mini soup this year is tomato (home grown tomatoes and soup made and in the freezer) i think i might just do melon carpaccio with orange segments and mint.

Another successful hot starter that than be prepared and frozen now ans takes 10 minutes oven time of the day is twice baked souffles. Its a BBC Good Food recipe. Make the souffles now, wrap in parchment and freeze, defrost xmas eve then on a tray, top with creme fraiche or greek yogurt and bake 10 mins. Ive done smoked salmon and cream cheesr, makeral and chives, spinach and chorizo. I can find a link if anyone wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

tringle wrote: »
    I usually do a cold starter and i also do mini soup aswell, served in espresso cups.

We have vegetarians and carnivores. The easiest starter ever is Caprese salad, just slices of mozzarella layered with good beef tomatoes and some basil sprinkled with olive oil and balsamic. It looks great either individually plated or on a serving platter and to make it more festive sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
    But for husband and son it has to be the simplest ever, slices of smoked salmon and a lemon wedge, they dont even want the brown bread.
    You could go for a classic prawn cocktail, lettuce, prawns, marie rose sauce. As the dinner is fairly substantial you want the starter to be light and a cold starter means it can be prepared and plated in advance. An alternative to prawn cocktail is tikka cocktail. Lettuce, strips of chicken quickly fried and then topped with mayo that has some crunchy peanut butter mixed in. Or just mayo mixed with curry powder. Or substitute the prawns or chicken for simple cooked fish or seafood. You can see how simple this could be. I serve it it double shot glasses, i like to see the layers in the glass but anything would do, including old fashioned tea cups.

As our mini soup this year is tomato (home grown tomatoes and soup made and in the freezer) i think i might just do melon carpaccio with orange segments and mint.

Another successful hot starter that than be prepared and frozen now ans takes 10 minutes oven time of the day is twice baked souffles. Its a BBC Good Food recipe. Make the souffles now, wrap in parchment and freeze, defrost xmas eve then on a tray, top with creme fraiche or greek yogurt and bake 10 mins. Ive done smoked salmon and cream cheesr, makeral and chives, spinach and chorizo. I can find a link if anyone wants.

Only one vegetarian (who is actually a pescatarian), so that makes it easier. Prawn cocktail is a really good idea, anything that doesn't require the use of valuable oven time. I'd just need to figure out how to plate it as I don't have that many individual glasses. We actually had smoked salmon last year, that went down well. I'm trying not to repeat what we had last year (bar the turkey and ham, of course), but still end up reverting back to it.

Caprese salad is also a really good shout, I have 3 basil plants that I struggle to make enough use of :pac: That's for your great suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

If anyone has any suggestions for starters though, I'm all ears :o I'll probably do a small cheeseboard again with some crackers/bread and onion marmalade. But stuck as to what else to do that will keep that many people happy, and not drive me insane. I can get pretty much any ingredient, so no limitations there.
    Cheese is always lovely.
    My fave winter starter is: Devils on horseback (with prunes)

I live abroad, unfortunately won't be coming home for Christmas this year. So I will have the privilege (:rolleyes:) of cooking Christmas dinner for roughly 14 people. Did the same last year (for 18 people), though that was a few days before Christmas itself, more of a Christmas party. Apartment is quite big, but kitchen is small so god bless my stress levels.

For the last few years before my family Christmas came to a halt, I made a very simple starter that went down very well.

Quite light and delicious if you eat fish and easy to prepare.

It was a platter of smoked salmon, wide ribbons of cucumber, arranged as you wish. Served with a dressing of creme fraiche, lemon juice, dill and seasoned to your liking with salt & cracked black pepper. I usually made extra for people to pour if they wished.

Served with crusty, brown bread or crackers I think this is lovely. The richness of the salmon is offset with the citrus dressing.

I usually plated it up in once large dish, and garnished with a drizzle of dressing and some fresh springs of dill.

Hope it might be an option :)

For the last few years before my family Christmas came to a halt, I made a very simple starter that went down very well.

Quite light and delicious if you eat fish and easy to prepare.

It was a platter of smoked salmon, wide ribbons of cucumber, arranged as you wish. Served with a dressing of creme fraiche, lemon juice, dill and seasoned to your liking with salt & cracked black pepper. I usually made extra for people to pour if they wished.

Served with crusty, brown bread or crackers I think this is lovely. The richness of the salmon is offset with the citrus dressing.

I usually plated it up in once large dish, and garnished with a drizzle of dressing and some fresh springs of dill.

Hope it might be an option :)
    Now Jenna, Your true potential is coming back to the fore, You will have a lovely xmas dinner ! Defo want photos now ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Pate, smoked salmon and brown bread with grapes on the side. Slices of melon as an alternative. It’s what my mother in law does and I’m a convert

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't do a sit down starter. Instead I do party nibbles and we have them with drinks while the mains is being prepared. It means the cook doesn't have the stress of everyone sitting at the time waiting to be fed and keeps the guests satisfied.

Now Jenna, Your true potential is coming back to the fore, You will have a lovely xmas dinner ! Defo want photos now ! !

Don't make me cry! Thank you for your kindness :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭tscul32

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't do a sit down starter. Instead I do party nibbles and we have them with drinks while the mains is being prepared. It means the cook doesn't have the stress of everyone sitting at the time waiting to be fed and keeps the guests satisfied.

We've started doing that too when we have the big family crowd (19). I do party food about an hour and a half before dinner, keeps everyone going and noone minds if dinner isn't ready bang on time. Cocktail sausages are always a winner. Nigella does a cranberry/sweet chilli/soy glaze which is fab on them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

If anyone has any suggestions for starters though, I'm all ears :o I'll probably do a small cheeseboard again with some crackers/bread and onion marmalade. But stuck as to what else to do that will keep that many people happy, and not drive me insane. I can get pretty much any ingredient, so no limitations there.

We have done melon wrapped in parmer ham on a cocktail stick and salmon on brown bed the last few years. Seems to go down well (maybe everyone is starving and would eat anything!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭tscul32

TRS30 wrote: »
    We have done melon wrapped in parmer ham on a cocktail stick

Never thought of doing that bite size, think it'll be on this year's menu. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ellejay

I've made this salmon roulade a few times and sliced it at the table for wow factor :)
    Recommended by a boardsie:

Salmon Terrine

Juice of 1 1/2 lemons

2 rounded teasp. dry gelatine

800g salmon fillet

110g smoked trout (I left this out last time and it was fine)

300ml mayon.

300ml double cream, lightly whipped

3 teasp. horseradish sauce

Bunch fresh dill, chopped

200g sliced smoked salmon ( i usually need more)

I halved this recipe last time and it was plenty as a starter for 6.

Poach and flake salmon fillet.

Put lemon juice in bowl.
    Sprinkle gelatine on top.
    Set aside.

Put cooked salmon and trout in a bowl.
    Fold in mayo, cream and horseradish.
    Season well.
    Add in the dill.

Line a 2kg loaf tin (or 1 kg if doing half) with clingfilm.
    If you sprinkle water on one side of the film, it clings better to the tin.
    Take a sprig of dill and put it in the centre of the tin. This looks very pretty when you turn it out.
    Line the tin with the sliced smoked salmon, leaving the ends hanging over the top so that you can fold them over when you fill the tin.

Stand the lemon juice and gelatine bowl over a pan of simmering water.
    Allow to dissolve without stirring.
    Add some of the fish mixture, mix and then add the gelatine to the fish mixture and fold in.
    Check seasoning.

Pour mixture into the tin.
    Fold any leftover smoked salmon over the top.

Cover and chill overnight.

To serve, turn tin up side down, remove tin and clingfilm.
    Slice with sharp knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kiki smiling

I am famished reading todays posts!!!!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I am famished reading todays posts!!!!!!

Same I tend to read this thread with one eye open.... everything always sounds so good on here!

Don't make me cry! Thank you for your kindness :)

:):D x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Only one vegetarian (who is actually a pescatarian), so that makes it easier. Prawn cocktail is a really good idea, anything that doesn't require the use of valuable oven time. I'd just need to figure out how to plate it as I don't have that many individual glasses. We actually had smoked salmon last year, that went down well. I'm trying not to repeat what we had last year (bar the turkey and ham, of course), but still end up reverting back to it.

Caprese salad is also a really good shout, I have 3 basil plants that I struggle to make enough use of :pac: That's for your great suggestions!

Love Caprese Salad, it be fab with a drizzle of your own pesto, you could make it up with your basil plants, lucky guests you will smash it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Loving all the suggestions X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

I’m thinking chicken and mushroom vol au vents or prawn cocktail, anyone got a good chicken and mushroom vol au vent recipe. Great ideas on here

Advertisement