We have updated our Privacy Notice, you can read the updated document here
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Deftones - Ohms

  • #2
    Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭ Passenger


    New Deftones albums released today called Ohms.

    Only listening to it now, getting a flavor of it. It's not as immediate as other Deftones albums but appears very riff-heavy on first listen.

    Gore was arguably the most forgettable album from a band with so many memorable and iconic albums and songs.

    Opinions?

    Here's a few tracks:







Comments

  • #2


    Passenger wrote: »
    New Deftones albums released today called Ohms.

    Only listening to it now, getting a flavor of it. It's not as immediate as other Deftones albums but appears very riff-heavy on first listen.

    Gore was arguably the most forgettable album from a band with so many memorable and iconic albums and songs.


    Opinions?

    Here's a few tracks:






    Had a few listens today, seems a solid album from start to finish, no filler.

    Like the fact as you say it's not as immediate as other albums.

    Cunningham and Carpenter to the fore in song writing process, Delgado's best contribution to date as well.

    Some great passages on initial listens, Error, is stand out track for me so far.


  • #2


    This album is really growing on me. Error and Radiant City are stand outs so far.


  • #2


    Posted about this album a couple of times over in the Alt and Indie forum.

    So far so good. I've only listened to a handful of times, but it is growing on me and I expect it to get better the more time I spend with it. Feels a lot more cohesive and song focused than Gore.

    I really liked Gore to begin with, but eventually got tired of it. It wasn't bad, but it lacked any outstanding song with staying power. I think there's a few on Ohms that I'd be happy to hear in any set list.

    Bigger role for the synths and keyboards in a few of the songs it appears, but not in a tacky way. Better mix of the shoegazy with the brutal too. There isn't one song that feels totally Chino or another that feels like all out heaviness.

    Having said that my favourite so far is probably This Link is Dead, possibly the heaviest song. That bit towards the outro where the guitars start to ascend, with a great sense of tension, and then the desending release before they smash back into the main riff again with even more jaggedness than before. Awww man. That's great stuff.


  • #2


    It won't have a standard banger of a song (although Radiant City is a contender), but solid, pure Deftones from start to finish. MUCH better than Gore, although that was a bit of a different take. Really liking this album so far. Glad to see such a prolific band releasing something during this madness. Frank (synth), Sergio (bass) and Stephen (lead) are very noticeable in this album too. Nice to hear. Fairly sure Pompeji is my fave song so far.


  • #2


    Arghus wrote: »
    Posted about this album a couple of times over in the Alt and Indie forum.

    So far so good. I've only listened to a handful of times, but it is growing on me and I expect it to get better the more time I spend with it. Feels a lot more cohesive and song focused than Gore.

    I really liked Gore to begin with, but eventually got tired of it. It wasn't bad, but it lacked any outstanding song with staying power. I think there's a few on Ohms that I'd be happy to hear in any set list.

    Bigger role for the synths and keyboards in a few of the songs it appears, but not in a tacky way. Better mix of the shoegazy with the brutal too. There isn't one song that feels totally Chino or another that feels like all out heaviness.

    Having said that my favourite so far is probably This Link is Dead, possibly the heaviest song. That bit towards the outro where the guitars start to ascend, with a great sense of tension, and then the desending release before they smash back into the main riff again with even more jaggedness than before. Awww man. That's great stuff.
    This Link Is Dead is the standout track for me on first listening. Think the title track works much better as a closing track too.


  • #2


    I think it's an incredible piece of work, and with time (and many more listens) could become one of their best albums for me. "Radiant city" and "spell of mathematics" are the standout tracks but I love the whole album from start to finish with the mix of nostalgia for a happier time (traditional deftones sound, white pony era) and the feelings of dread and hopelessness (with the synths and Chinos wailing) it stirs up of a permanently changed world where only a bleak future is facing the coming generations. 9/10


  • #2


    Must give it a listen!


  • #2


    I have been rockin out to ohms on a constant basis since chino and co dropped it and think opener to closer title track it's a superb, emotional,gritty,powerful and far more cerebral and cohesive an affair than their previous record gore.

    Challenging to say whether or not it's my favourite album of the year but it is definitely in magnificent, outstanding company with the remarkably impressive new
    MM album 'we are chaos'
    'folkesange' by myrkur
    PJ - Gigaton
    In this Moment - Mother
    The used - Heartwork
    Paradise Lost - Obsidian
    My dying bride - the ghost of Orion
    Six feet under - nightmares of the decomposed
    Napalm death - Throes of Joy in the Jaws of defeatism
    Obsidian Kingdom - Meat Machine
    The Ocean – Phanerozoic II: Mesozoic | Cenozoic
    Uada - djinn
    Finntroll – Vredesvavd

    To name but a few of my favourites of the last year :-)


  • #2


    Loving this album...Genesis my faveourite on the album so far but that is liable to change!


  • #2


    Dublin show announced for 6th June


  • #2


    I have a presale code of anyone wants it, just drop me a PM.


  • #2


    I have a presale code of anyone wants it, just drop me a PM.

    Are the pre-sale tickets cheaper or how does it work?


  • #2


    Passenger wrote: »
    Are the pre-sale tickets cheaper or how does it work?

    Nope, just means you get a ticket before everyone else.


  • #2


    Day after my wedding!


  • #2


    Day after my wedding!

    Hope the missus likes Deftones. What better honeymoon! ;)


  • #2


    i honestly can't see how this goes ahead, i'd hate for it to be cancelled, not being a doom merchant just realistic.

    I'm missing gigs like crazy. not been this long without a shot of live music since i was 13 but i just wouldn't be comfortable in a large crowd right now, and i'm sure a lot of others would feel the same.

    Why couldn't they just hold on announcing anything until Jan/Feb when there's a clearer idea of how this is all going to play out because getting any sort of refund from ticketbastard is gonna be a nightmare


  • #2


    Pompeji my favourite track so far.
    3Arena next year? Fair play to them for playing arenas, but I'm done with arena gigs. Horrible experiences.


  • #2


    I think I'm just gonna try grab a ticket with the presale code on Wednesday and see how it plays out. If it's postponed, then so be it. I still have my ticket for Ozzy's gig about 6 feet away from me :pac:


  • #2


    entropi wrote: »
    I think I'm just gonna try grab a ticket with the presale code on Wednesday and see how it plays out. If it's postponed, then so be it. I still have my ticket for Ozzy's gig about 6 feet away from me :pac:

    Ozzy's playing a gig 6ft away from you? Jaysus, bet $harron is charging you a fortune for that :pac::pac::pac:


  • #2


    Well, hopefully we'll see it happen. June 6th feels so far off from right now it may as well be in another life.

    3arena? Seems ambitious.


  • #2


    Arghus wrote: »
    Well, hopefully we'll see it happen. June 6th feels so far off from right now it may as well be in another life.

    It is optimistic tbh, but who knows what's in store because the respective governments certainly don't.


  • #2


    I have a presale code of anyone wants it, just drop me a PM.

    This still available??


  • #2


    scudzilla wrote: »

    Why couldn't they just hold on announcing anything until Jan/Feb when there's a clearer idea of how this is all going to play out because getting any sort of refund from ticketbastard is gonna be a nightmare

    So Ticketmaster/Live Nation can get your money in the bank sooner and all that lovely interest thatll accrue


  • #2


    I won't be going to this, much as I'd love to see them, the Three Arena next year seems a little risky to me still, so I have a presale code for anyone who might use it. Presale is now live according to my Three app so PM me and I'll forward it on!


  • #2


    I highly doubt this will go ahead, certainly not in the Three Arena. Currently the lowest form of restrictions which is level 1 does not support live music of more than 200 people indoors, so right now there isn't even a plan to allow gigs in the Three Arena unless the government make new guidelines if things get much better later next year.


  • #2


    Gonzo wrote: »
    I highly doubt this will go ahead, certainly not in the Three Arena. Currently the lowest form of restrictions which is level 1 does not support live music of more than 200 people indoors, so right now there isn't even a plan to allow gigs in the Three Arena unless the government make new guidelines if things get much better later next year.

    Yeah, I'm holding off on buying tickets for the time being. Unlikely to sell out unless the venue capacity has been greatly restricted.


  • #2


    Seems they're taking inspiration from Smeg and the Heads with their classic song Ohm


  • #2


    Passenger wrote: »
    Hope the missus likes Deftones. What better honeymoon! ;)
    Was this gig cancelled or like the wedding just postponed:)?


Society & Culture